PDA

View Full Version : Kevlar as a cross: your feedback

buder
01-20-2006, 08:55 AM
My current set-up is ashway 18g kevlar mains with a super soft multi cross.

I love it and have no arm problems -- but I want to play around with it.

If I reversed it, putting kevlar in the crosses, would the stringbed play softer.

or -- because kevlar stiffens sooooo much at impact, using it as a cross would have similar effect to using it as a main.

Steve Huff
01-21-2006, 09:55 AM
If you do for whatever reason use Kevlar in the crosses, I'd drop the tension at least 5-10 pounds.

Ripper
03-23-2006, 08:33 AM
My current set-up is ashway 18g kevlar mains with a super soft multi cross.

I love it and have no arm problems -- but I want to play around with it.

If I reversed it, putting kevlar in the crosses, would the stringbed play softer.

or -- because kevlar stiffens sooooo much at impact, using it as a cross would have similar effect to using it as a main.

No, defintively, it's going to be softer (or less harsh), anyway. Not sure how much the multi would last in that configuration. I've thought about trying this, but haven't, yet. Have you? If so, what were your impressions?

man-walking
03-23-2006, 10:42 AM
If you do for whatever reason use Kevlar in the crosses, I'd drop the tension at least 5-10 pounds.
Yeah otherwise his shoulder will split in pieces.

At any impact the crosses are always more stressed than mains, they are shorter and their aptitude to stretch gets far more saturated.
If one put a very stiff string into the crosses should consider it yet pretty "saturated" by nature so wonder the overall shocking result.

BattleAxe
03-24-2006, 01:46 AM
I can't figure out why on earth you would want this configuration? It's going to play just like it does now, but your strings will break about 200% quicker.

I'm lost.

diredesire
03-24-2006, 01:53 AM
I can't figure out why on earth you would want this configuration? It's going to play just like it does now, but your strings will break about 200% quicker.

I'm lost.

I agree, if the multi moves around at all, the kevlar, being thin, textured AND stiff wil saw right through it. Doesn't make much sense to me, especially since people use kevlar typically for the durability.

equinox
03-24-2006, 05:13 AM
I'm liking my setup. Feels quite low powered. I can swingaway without the ball going long. Also i'm getting great ball bite from the crosses. Fuzzy all over the crosses.

Ripper
03-24-2006, 05:25 AM

I'm lost.

I agree, if the multi moves around at all, the kevlar, being thin, textured AND stiff wil saw right through it. Doesn't make much sense to me, especially since people use kevlar typically for the durability.

Some people don't use these for the durability. Some people use these just because of the boardy, very low powered feeling. Some people don't care about re-stringing.

jonolau
03-24-2006, 07:42 AM
kevlar on the mains will aid in providing that extra bit more spin ... leave it there.

joe sch
03-24-2006, 08:07 AM
Why ever use kevlar when poly strings have it beat in every string appraising category ?

jonolau
03-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Durablity and tension stability.

Ripper
03-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Why ever use kevlar when poly strings have it beat in every string appraising category ?

Read the Kevlar versus Poly thread I just started.