PDA

View Full Version : What other nat. gut plays EXACTLY like VS, but costs less?

Ripper
01-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Does this even exist?

Gaines Hillix
01-20-2006, 11:57 AM
It depends on how sensative you are to the feel of the string. No two strings are exactly the same. I think that the Pacific, BDE and Klip strings are good alternatives and for most people they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Valjean
01-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Does this even exist?
In my opinion, the only way you couldn't tell the difference between VS and any other natural gut is if you never tried VS. Can't say such ignorance would be blissful to you, too.

Stan
01-20-2006, 02:24 PM
When my cat Fluffy died last year I had her intestines removed and turned into 18ga cat-gut for my racquet. Since she loved watching me play tennis there was no better tribute to her memory. In her new state she was now in a position to actually help me win some matches.

Sadly, there was only enough for 20 feet so I had to hybrid it with some Pacific gut I had laying around. Even in hybrid, this was the sweetest hit ever! My racquet literally purred with precision. Never played better. Powered by the remnants of Fluffy, I prowled through numerous local tournaments. A feature article appeared in a local paper about my unique tribute to Fluffy and during my next match curious spectators came out to protest and berate me. Spawned by the memory of Fluffy I hissed at them, and then ignored them. You see, I had to concentrate on swatting away my opponents. I won three straight tournaments and was literally the Cat's Meow of the USTA Men's 40 and older division.

Then the unspeakable happened. Fluffy popped a gut. It was a tragic day on the court and one I will remember with profound sadness. You see, even a full set of the Babolat VS Gut can not provide the feel of Fluffy. Fortunately Fluffy's daughter Muffy is on her last legs and it won't be long now until Muffy and I take to the courts with new tails to tell.

THE END. (Meow!)

reflexace
01-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Powered by the remnants of Fluffy....

hahaha...
thanks for that stan, that quote made my day!
=p

Steve Huff
01-21-2006, 09:53 AM
No string hits EXACTLY like another string unless it was actually the same string sold by another distributor under a different name. I have used VS gut, and I prefer BDE Performance. I'm not saying VS is any worse, I just like the feel of the BDE. Like Gaines said, the differences aren't that great (at least they aren't like the differences between VS and Prince Synthetic). I have to admit, I like stringing the VS better as the coating makes its a breeze to pull the crosses through, compared to other natural guts.

NoBadMojo
01-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Hi Steve..and welcome back Gaines...Hope you stick around.
I agree with you guys..no gut feels like another, but I do think they perform pretty much exactly the same as far as the results it produces. I am talking about premium gut like VSTeam (not Tonic), Klip Legend, and BDE Perf.
By the way Steve, did you know that VSTeam actually isnt coated? The heavy plastic stuff on there is a unique way they manufacture..it's like a sleeve (think sausage casing) rather than a coating. I do agree it makes the crosses easier to string. You should try the upcoming Klip Legend w. the ArmourPro coating...same deal, and it's a dream to string. Also this string holds tension even better and the strings lock better, and it's more durable...It's a little less traditional feeling than the original Legend, and some may not like that, but I've come to really enjoy the ball feel of this string havng been playing it for a couple months now, not to mention the other benefits I've mentioned. I'm hybridding it with Klip Excellerator these days (which seems to go against the rule of not using a multi in the cross, but i like the way it plays even better than straight gut).

K. Wilson Moose
01-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Fluffy, furry buddy, old friend, my pal

That was a heart warming story Stan. Pounding your opponents with a little piece of Fluffy. Snort!!!

diredesire
01-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Fluffy, furry buddy, old friend, my pal

That was a heart warming story Stan. Pounding your opponents with a little piece of Fluffy. Snort!!!

Hey moose, havne't seen you posting for a while :D

K. Wilson Moose
01-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Hey moose, havne't seen you posting for a while :D

Hey Mon,

I have had a few distractions lately. Still enjoy the boards and the exchange with you guys. Take care

Rabbit
01-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Hey Moose! Hope everything's going well for you in the land of MARTA.

IMO, BDE, Klip, and Pacific are great alternatives to Babolat.

K. Wilson Moose
01-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Hey Moose! Hope everything's going well for you in the land of MARTA.

The land of MARTA, now that's funny I don't care who you are ;). I'm doing OK dude, looking forward to a spring beach trip and some time on the clay. It's easy on my old parts.

LafayetteHitter
01-21-2006, 04:36 PM
I recently tried some VS team side by side with BDE Perf 17 and I seem to like the BDE Perf more. It's hard to say they play the same as they each have a unique feel while they are both great strings...

rfprse
01-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Does this even exist?
I don't think it does as others mentioned.
But in my case, between bde performance and klip legend, the feel of bde performance seemed to be closer to vs.

Rickson
01-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Klip Legend feels somewhat like the VS gut. The uncoated definitely feels different and frays a lot quicker, but if you don't mind restringing often, the uncoated Klip gut feels nice.

Barricade_steve
01-21-2006, 05:51 PM
sorry alittle off topic, but has any one tried BDE rally and BDE preformance gut. If so, are there big differences between them. I have been using BDE rally 16g crossed with tourna poly 16g and i wanted to know if the preforname brand is worth the extra few dollars. Thanks

Steve Huff
01-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Ed, thanks for the info on the VS Team. I can't wait. I know the Klip Legend I've been using some feels pretty "wiry" to string, but plays a lot softer than I thought it would when I was stringing it. Gaines, are you still using your Apex? Drop me a line if you don't mind. I lost your email a while back when I lost my address book (stmt@comcast.net).

Ripper
01-23-2006, 11:20 AM
By the way Steve, did you know that VSTeam actually isnt coated? The heavy plastic stuff on there is a unique way they manufacture..it's like a sleeve (think sausage casing) rather than a coating. I do agree it makes the crosses easier to string.

I understand that "Thermogut" is a coating. I used to think it was used on all Babolat nat. guts. However, from the description that TW gives to all of Babolat's nat. guts on their web page, it seems that this is not the case. You seem to be very knowledgable in this department. Could you please tell me which one of Babolat's nat. guts is better at (specifically) resisting humidity?