PDA

View Full Version : starting clamp

topknocker
01-20-2006, 05:35 PM
my son asked me just how much tension a starting clamp can take? i really couldn't answer him, i also tried to find a thread about it, but couldn't. even though i been in tennis for quite some time, i really don't have much stringing etiquette. somebody have an answer for him?

dmastous
01-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Tho I don't really have an official answer, I would say a starting clamp would have to be able to take the same tension any clamp would take.

dancraig
01-20-2006, 08:06 PM
I have heard that there is a noticable difference beween the low end and the more expensive starting clamps.

Valjean
01-20-2006, 08:30 PM
I have heard that there is a noticable difference beween the low end and the more expensive starting clamps.
Yup; just as with natural gut.

diredesire
01-20-2006, 09:36 PM

and of course, the "newness" of the springs, as well as the cleanliness and wear-factor of the gripping surfaces. The PU coating on a lot of strings make them slippery, the rough coating helps a lot.

I would say a new, good condition lower end model could hold up to 75 or so lbs, 55 lbs if it is worn and/or dirty.

Ronaldo
01-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Not to sound naive but with fixed clamps, why does anyone need a starting clamp?

Masamusou
01-20-2006, 09:52 PM
Not to sound naive but with fixed clamps, why does anyone need a starting clamp?

Back up for starting the mains. Occasionally you can use it for some of the more intricate stringing methods. Also, if you end up measuring short and don't have enough string to reach the tension head, you can use the starting clamp as a bridge to reach the tensioner. Unless of course you are confident that you can pull 60 or so pounds by hand and hold it steady at that while you move and reclamp.

theace21
01-20-2006, 09:53 PM
You might not need it anymore, but if you ever come up a little short and can't pull that last string - a starting clamp will save the day...

Ronaldo
01-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Been there but never used it. Just looks sooooooo incapable of holding any real tension. But also never had to string a Wilson fan-shaped racquet or a Roller racquet.

topknocker
01-20-2006, 10:39 PM
thanks for your time to answer my thread.