PDA

View Full Version : stringing at 40 lbs?

Squid
01-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Or you could do something different and not have to ever worry about TE, you can string super low int he 40's, now before you freak out I suggest that you ask some of these guys in the string forum ect as they do this along with pros doing it also......

that was a quote from someone else.... anyone want to explain this for me?
.... like why pros are doing this.... the benefits... and the logic behind it?

diredesire
01-20-2006, 08:15 PM
If it's a quote, you should put it in quotation marks... i had to read that about 4 times before i understood what you were saying ;)

As far as stringing at 40 lbs, my suggestion is... just TRY it :)

It's not a trampoline or anything, it actually allows the ball to dwell a little longer on your string because in my opinion, the strings give less "predictable" (bad word choice) response when strung under 45 lbs. I think the general range is around 50-65 lbs, higher or lower you'll notice a few different things. I think the best answer to your question is to just try it. People will find different things from string jobs on the "extreme" end(s) of the tension spectrum, so i can't give a definite answer. In my experience it was just dwell time that increased a ton. I strung a 40lb on a constant pull machine, though. So maybe it gets even "better" after you go lower.

dancraig
01-20-2006, 08:30 PM
I have a stringing customer who has me string his ncode at 35 pounds. He is one of the best older players around. He used to be head pro at the local club and coached a state champ 4A tennis team. He says the low tension is why he has never had any arm problems.

Micky
01-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Hola,

I have been using a computer program called Freqmess to test my string tension and how it drops over time. Here is the link:

http://www.tennis-altensteig.de/ go to sonstiges (on the right side of the page) and look for Freqmess and you will get the full explanation with the program in English.

According to the site we have an initial tension loss of 22.2 lbs. I guess if somebody strings at 35 lbs the initial loss of tension will not be as dramatic and you will end up near the same tension if you had strung at + - 60 lbs.

According to my Prince dealer my Prince O3 Tour came with PSGDF @ 61 lbs. When I tested it with Freqmess it showed 36.4 lbs. If we add the 22.2 lbs that would be like 58.6 lbs...that is pretty close.

Micky

Ronaldo
01-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Squid, string movement was the annoyance that stopped stringing at ~45#.

Squid
01-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Hola,

I have been using a computer program called Freqmess to test my string tension and how it drops over time. Here is the link:

http://www.tennis-altensteig.de/ go to sonstiges (on the right side of the page) and look for Freqmess and you will get the full explanation with the program in English.

According to the site we have an initial tension loss of 22.2 lbs. I guess if somebody strings at 35 lbs the initial loss of tension will not be as dramatic and you will end up near the same tension if you had strung at + - 60 lbs.

According to my Prince dealer my Prince O3 Tour came with PSGDF @ 61 lbs. When I tested it with Freqmess it showed 36.4 lbs. If we add the 22.2 lbs that would be like 58.6 lbs...that is pretty close.

Micky

ummm can you send me the link where you are already in the freqmess part of the website.... i couldnt see waht you were talking about.

joe sch
01-21-2006, 06:40 PM
If it's a quote, you should put it in quotation marks... i had to read that about 4 times before i understood what you were saying ;)

As far as stringing at 40 lbs, my suggestion is... just TRY it :)

It's not a trampoline or anything, it actually allows the ball to dwell a little longer on your string because in my opinion, the strings give less "predictable" (bad word choice) response when strung under 45 lbs. I think the general range is around 50-65 lbs, higher or lower you'll notice a few different things. I think the best answer to your question is to just try it. People will find different things from string jobs on the "extreme" end(s) of the tension spectrum, so i can't give a definite answer. In my experience it was just dwell time that increased a ton. I strung a 40lb on a constant pull machine, though. So maybe it gets even "better" after you go lower.
This advice is good. Try dropping down to 50 lbs and give it some time. You will learn to really enjoy the performance and it will be very easy on your arm. I have played many diff standard to midsize (65..85si heads) with 45..50 lb range and found this is really the best for power, spin and blasting flat bullets.

PBODY99
01-21-2006, 08:30 PM
ummm can you send me the link where you are already in the freqmess part of the website.... i couldnt see waht you were talking about.

Drag your cusor over the word in the title of this reply, a drop down menu will have what you want at the bottom.:cool:

The link is http://www.tennis-altensteig.de/

Squid
01-21-2006, 09:29 PM
wow i still cant find it.... ugh.... can you like send me the link from inside that place thingy?

Micky
01-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Hola Squid,

It was a bit weird trying to get the link but here it is:

http://www.tennis-altensteig.de/freqmess.php

Micky