PDA

View Full Version : Best poly under $5- $6

thetenniskid07
01-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Which poly do you think is the best that is under $5/ $6?

I think prince poly gut is the best in that price range.

K. Wilson Moose
01-21-2006, 01:04 PM
I like Ashaway Monogut, plays well in whole stringbed or used in the mains in a hybrid.

barry
01-21-2006, 01:07 PM
I like Ashaway Monogut, plays well in whole stringbed or used in the mains in a hybrid.

The two I like are Gosen Polylon 17 and Gosen Polylon SP 17. If you want more power try the SP version, it is as lively as Prince Synthetic gut, but last 5 times as long.

LafayetteHitter
01-21-2006, 01:29 PM
My vote would be Ashaway Monogut, but for a dollar more Unique Big Hitter is really a good deal.

SteveI
01-21-2006, 01:39 PM
My vote would be Ashaway Monogut, but for a dollar more Unique Big Hitter is really a good deal.

Hi,

Have not tried the Monogut. The Big Hitter is a great string for that price and a real great deal if you hybid with it. I have also used the Polylon 17 and SP versions. Both are good strings for the price but the SP plays better and holds tension a bit better on average. The Big Hitter seems the most playable and most arm friendly.

Have a great day!

Steve

Rabbit
01-21-2006, 03:40 PM
I'd recommend Prince Polygut. It's a very soft poly and is $4?

thatonedue
01-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Tourna poly or monogut, both cheap, both hit fine for the price.

goosala
01-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Yes, Prince Polygut rules as far as softness.

PBODY99
01-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Ashway Monogut 17g .

scotus
01-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Another vote for Monogut 17g. Monogut is easier on the arm and plays better than Prince Polygut.

thetenniskid07
01-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Another vote for Monogut 17g. Monogut is easier on the arm and plays better than Prince Polygut.

Does monogut hold tension well?

DANMAN
01-22-2006, 12:03 PM
I found Monogut tension maintenance to be awful when I tried the sample sets about a year ago.

scotus
01-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Does monogut hold tension well?

Monogut holds tension fairly well, at least for me. Its problem is going dead, not losing too much tension.

By the way, I serve and volley, so I'm not speaking for those who constantly dwell on the baseline.

MikeMcKenzie
01-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Gosen Polylon in the clear but just a heads up it does not hold tension well at all.

scotus
01-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Gosen Polylon in the clear but just a heads up it does not hold tension well at all.

Gosen Polylon Ice is an excellent string. It loses a lot of tension initially, but once it plateaus, it holds tension very well. I would probably use the Gosen for ralleys and Monogut for matches.

thetenniskid07
01-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Gosen Polylon Ice is an excellent string. It loses a lot of tension initially, but once it plateaus, it holds tension very well. I would probably use the Gosen for ralleys and Monogut for matches.

Both are somewhat friendly on the arm right?

SteveI
01-23-2006, 04:53 AM

scotus,

I found the same thing with the Gosen Polylon Ice. I use a frame at lower tension for practice sessions.. an another at higher tension for match play.

Regards,
Steve

TripleB
01-23-2006, 05:00 AM
Spend a little more and get Kirschbaum Super Smash Honey....second only to Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L (no matter the price).

TripleB

Richie Rich
01-23-2006, 06:18 AM
Spend a little more and get Kirschbaum Super Smash Honey....second only to Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L (no matter the price).

TripleB

nice string but horiible tension loss so I have to disagree with TB on this one. i used to play a lot with this string and had a few sets at the bottom of my string drawer. Strung up last Sunday in my TF 325 and played 10 sets. By the 10th set the strings were like a trampoline. They felt really nice for 9 sets.

a better string, if you want a poly, is Unique Big Hitter 17. A bargain at $6.95/set. i get 20 hours (about 20 sets) before the string goes dead. better value than Kirsh Super Smash Honey.

pro_staff
01-23-2006, 03:55 PM
i've used monogut for a while and it's horrible at tension maintenance. it's great for the first outing then it loses tension at a very fast rate. then it goes dead and it plays differently everytime you play with it. i currently use ballistic polymono and it's very stiff but holds tension pretty well.

scotus
01-24-2006, 01:10 AM
Both are somewhat friendly on the arm right?

Yes, Monogut is very easy on the arm, and you could probably use the full-Monogut setup without hurting your arm. But once it goes dead, the stringbed sort of stiffens up, and I would suggest that you cut it off at that point. I would hybrid the Polylon Ice with a softer cross. Polylon Ice lasts and lasts. If it were possible, you could replace the cross (assuming regular synthetic gut) twice and your Polylon main would still outlast your cross.

TripleB
01-24-2006, 04:49 AM
By the 10th set the strings were like a trampoline. They felt really nice for 9 sets.

Maybe this is why I liked it so much....I had confidence in the control of my racquet because I had the tension pretty high when I had it strung but it loosened up so much that it felt more powerful and "softer" than other polys I tried!!! Thanks.

TripleB

BrreakPoint
01-26-2006, 11:35 AM
I'd spend the extra 95 cents and go with ULTIMATE BIG HITTER and very good quality poly that imo plays better than the ALU BIG BANGER for almost 1/2 the price.