PDA

View Full Version : Stringing below manufacturers specs ?

Slaz
01-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Hi guys,

Here is my (little) problem : I want to string my n6.1 18x20 at 48 lbs (maybe 46 lbs) with BB alu Power and I want to know if it would be a problem for the frame ?

I mean, the recomended tension range is 53-63 lbs, so what do you think ?

Thanks in advance

Stan
01-21-2006, 02:06 PM
No worries. You're good dude!

SteveI
01-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi guys,

Here is my (little) problem : I want to string my n6.1 18x20 at 48 lbs (maybe 46 lbs) with BB alu Power and I want to know if it would be a problem for the frame ?

I mean, the recomended tension range is 53-63 lbs, so what do you think ?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I am sure you have heard that Johnny Mac.. strung his frames in the upper 40s.. I am guessing still does..maybe a bit higher with the power of the new frames.. but still low compared to others. I am sure you are good to go!

Regards,
Steve

Rabbit
01-21-2006, 02:36 PM
McEnroe used to string his woodies and 200G in the 40s. I've been told by folks who know that he's stiringing his frames at 59 now. To your question, I've also been told by the same reliable sources that tension is just a number. Let's say you're stringing on a drop weight with flying clamps at 60 pounds. Your reference tension is going to be approximately 10% less than if you strung the same frame on a good lockout machine, like the Neos, at 60 pounds. Take it one step further and string on an electronic machine and the Neos is 10% less than it. The whole thing about tension is consistency. You know you what you like based on the machine that you string on. When I strung with a drop weight, a Gamma machine, I strung my frames at 65 pounds. Now that I'm using a Neos, I string my frames at 58 - 60. A buddy of mine had a drop weight and strung his own. He got rid of it. The first time I strung for him, he was adamant about tension. I deferred to his request and installed the string at the requested tension. He was walking on his stringbed when he played his league match because it was too tight.

If you string your rackets at less than the recommended tension, it shouldn't be a problem. The tighter you string and the frequency of stringing have more to do with the breakdown of a frame.

K. Wilson Moose
01-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Let's say you're stringing on a drop weight with flying clamps at 60 pounds. Your reference tension is going to be approximately 10% less than if you strung the same frame on a good lockout machine, like the Neos, at 60 pounds. Take it one step further and string on an electronic machine and the Neos is 10% less than it. The whole thing about tension is consistency. You know you what you like based on the machine that you string on. When I strung with a drop weight, a Gamma machine, I strung my frames at 65 pounds. Now that I'm using a Neos, I string my frames at 58 - 60. A buddy of mine had a drop weight and strung his own. He got rid of it. The first time I strung for him, he was adamant about tension. I deferred to his request and installed the string at the requested tension. He was walking on his stringbed when he played his league match because it was too tight.

Brer Rabbit speaks the truth, but we all know that. My Klippermate strings with at least 10% less reference tension than a lockout machine.

goosala
01-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Stringing too low does not damage the frame but going too high will cause extreme stress which some frames may handle better than others. My Tour 90's withstood 70 lb. tensions consistently.

dancraig
01-21-2006, 08:07 PM
I have a stringing customer that has me string his ncode at 35 pounds.

Slaz
01-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks for all the answers guys !

I knew I could rely on you :)