PDA

View Full Version : Please help me guys

Bones08
01-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Today was my first time going to get my racquets strung. I finally have a sponsor so they paid for it because I've lived a hard life.

I have 6 racquets, but their not the same type of Wilson racquets.

I just wanted to have the oppurtunity to ask some questions.

I had no clue what I was doing at Dicks Sporting Goods, but the guy that helped me was very nice.

I was looking at the prices of string and they we're between 14.99-24.99.
I chose some Gamma Stinger 16/17 string for 4 racquets, and Prince Benneton Synthetic Gut 17 for my other racquet. Did I make the right move guys??? He asked about Tension, and I said I'm a hard hitter so he said I'll write it on the paper, and she'll string it according to your game.

I had never used a vibration dampener either, so I bought one. It was a Wilson Shock Trap. Is that a good one, and what exactly will it do to my game or racquet.

If you can help me, It would really,really, be appreciated. Thanks!

dancraig
01-21-2006, 10:33 PM
That Gamma Stinger is a prepackaged hybrid. You have the polyester in the mains and the synthetic gut in the crosses. It should be a fine, low price, way to check out a hybrid setup. I don't think I have seen the Prince "Benneton" you mentioned, but it should be good too. Probably a basic synthetic gut. Maybe someone else, on here, has used it.

The Wilson Shock Trap has worked well for me in the past. It will dampen some of the string vibration and alter the feel and sound a little.

You are really being considerate of your sponsor. Most players would have picked the more expensive strings.

Bones08
01-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it. I didn't want to kill them with money!!!

Valjean
01-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Well, the Prince may not prove durable enough, but should provide better ball feel and certainly it will be kinder to your shoulder than the hybrid you picked out. And, I hope for your sake Dick's doesn't string the hybrid's stiffer poly mains at the same tension as the Prince; string manufacturers recommend polys be strung 10% lower than nylon, at least when switching over... The damper you bought covers eight strings; in future you might find the ones that cover just two more acceptable for "feeling" the ball on the stringbed.

thetenniskid07
01-22-2006, 08:23 PM
How are you sponsored and have never got your racquets strung before!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bones08
01-22-2006, 10:01 PM
My sponsorship just got approved on Thursday. Thanks Valjean. Do you guys believe in the expensive type string, or something that will be medium amounts of money but getting you through matches. Also, I do something a little weirf I think. I didn't wan't to spend 200 dollars on Racquets from Sports Authority or Dicks, so I get mine from Walmart. The same racquets I got from Walmart for 15.95 a piece we're 47.00 dollars at Dicks. Am I being to cheap, or as long as their strung right it will be ok.

andyroddick's mojo
01-22-2006, 11:37 PM
yah seriously, how are you sponsored if you buy racquets from walmart, and don't even have specific tensions or favorite strings. How old are you? junior? or going pro?

Bones08
01-23-2006, 12:27 AM
andyroddick's mojo- Well it's quite a story. You know I don't live in the "normal neighborhoods" in North Carolina. I live in the "ghetto", but my parents have sacrificed a lot for me. I'm not a junior or pro. I'm 16. My parents have kept me out of Juniors since I was 12. The only junior tournament I played, I won at Methodist College in Fayetteville. I went 28-1 last year in High School, my only lost came to the eventual State Champion who now attends Maryland. I know you didn't mean to make me explain, but it's not really something in my life that I've had the most input on. I have a story that is very weird. When I was 9, my mom and Dad had no money, so we slept in cars. My uncle was going to live in Spain, so my mom and dad decided that they should make something happen. They went to my Grandma's house and looked up Tennis Academies. They thought about Nicks academy, but decided something very different. I had no clue where I was going, but all I know is 5 days later I was at the Casal Academy in Spain. I was given 13 racquets from a dealer in Walmart for $120. My brother had to go to the Army to sacrifice for me. I don't want to tell my life story because I hope that God allows me to tell it to the world but that's why I don't know a lot if that helps.I just used those racquets over and over.

thetenniskid07
01-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Sorry... but this sounds like BS.

knyks342
01-26-2006, 07:35 PM
there is no way your winning with 15 dollar racquets...they will break in half

michaellashan
03-13-2006, 11:38 AM
andyroddick's mojo- Well it's quite a story. You know I don't live in the "normal neighborhoods" in North Carolina. I live in the "ghetto", but my parents have sacrificed a lot for me. I'm not a junior or pro. I'm 16. My parents have kept me out of Juniors since I was 12. The only junior tournament I played, I won at Methodist College in Fayetteville. I went 28-1 last year in High School, my only lost came to the eventual State Champion who now attends Maryland. I know you didn't mean to make me explain, but it's not really something in my life that I've had the most input on. I have a story that is very weird. When I was 9, my mom and Dad had no money, so we slept in cars. My uncle was going to live in Spain, so my mom and dad decided that they should make something happen. They went to my Grandma's house and looked up Tennis Academies. They thought about Nicks academy, but decided something very different. I had no clue where I was going, but all I know is 5 days later I was at the Casal Academy in Spain. I was given 13 racquets from a dealer in Walmart for $120. My brother had to go to the Army to sacrifice for me. I don't want to tell my life story because I hope that God allows me to tell it to the world but that's why I don't know a lot if that helps.I just used those racquets over and over.

So are you going to play college tennis or go straight to the pros? This sounds like a Disney tennis movie. :rolleyes: