PDA

View Full Version : multi-syn gut hybrid?

westy
01-22-2006, 06:06 AM
ive seen on a few posters sinatures that they are using a multi as a main and a standard syn gut in the cross i.e psgd mains and gamma advantage crosses.
i thought hybrids had poly mains and some form of syn gut or gut on the crosses? What effect does using multi-syn gut have?

also, i know its in the wrong section. i broke the strings in my hps 6.1 about 2/3's up the head, i plan to add lead to 2 and 10 to move the sweetspot up. How much weight should i add to 2 and 10 and shoild i counterbalance with lead i n the handle?

westy
01-24-2006, 08:24 AM
thanks guys (sarcasm)

Gaines Hillix
01-24-2006, 09:04 AM
westy, PSGD in a solid core syn gut, not a multi. Anyway, the idea of using a mutlifiilament string, such as Laserfibre Super Natural, in the mains and a cheaper solid core syn gut in the crosses is to save money and to possibly reduce string movement and increase durability. The feel of the stringbed would also be a bit firmer. Poly/nat gut hybrids are popular with the pros. It helps dampen the power of the gut if used in the mains and softens up the feel of the poly if it's used in the mains. There are a lot of possible combinations depending on what one is looking for.

westy
01-24-2006, 10:48 AM
cheers gaines any thoughts on the lead tape question.

Gaines Hillix
01-24-2006, 05:32 PM
cheers gaines any thoughts on the lead tape question.

If you tend to hit the ball high up in the string bed then weighting the frame at that location is good to try. I always start with a small amount of weight split between the two sides, something like 4g or 6g total, to start with. You need to add weight to the handle if you want to preserve the balance of the frame. You could also just add the weight to the hoop first and if that doesn't effect it's maneuverability too much leave it that way.

westy
01-29-2006, 09:10 AM
anyone know about using natural gut in a hybrid with a multi. Would the multi go in the mains for durability and the gut go in the crosses for feel.

Gaines Hillix
01-29-2006, 09:16 AM
anyone know about using natural gut in a hybrid with a multi. Would the multi go in the mains for durability and the gut go in the crosses for feel.

Most people would prefer to have the gut in the mains because 80% of the playing characteristics of the string job come from the mains. The idea of doing a hyrid with a multi is to save money and still have a relatively powerful soft feeling string bed. However, some of the high end multis cost almost as much as nat gut, so you wouldn't save much. For increased durability you can use string savers at the string junctions where it starts to fray.

westy
01-29-2006, 09:45 AM
cheers you've been a great help, think ill try some gut with poly and with a multi thanks again