PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question # 742....

Smooothone23
01-22-2006, 05:48 AM
If 2 identical racquets are strung with the same string (lets just say Signum PPP), same guage (17), but at 10 pounds different (one at 60 and one at 50), after both sting jobs go "dead" will the ending tension be the same?

Thanks

Masamusou
01-22-2006, 06:17 AM
Probably not. Dead doesn't refer to the tension as much as it does the loss of elasticity and original playing characteristics. The strings deflect, stretch, and then snap back everytime you hit. It's pretty basic to understand that the more stretching the strings do the less capable they are of snapping back at the same rate as when they were fresh. It's that inability to snap back as quickly that is generally referred to as being dead. Don't get me wrong, tension loss does happen, but it's generally a percentage drop over time. The strings would probably be able to reach the same tension eventually, but they would be dead far before they reached that point.

Gaines Hillix
01-22-2006, 03:56 PM
The idea that strings go dead is disputed by the authors of the books Phsyics and Technology of Tennis and Technical Tennis. They loose tension and they feel and sound different, so the player interprets this change as the string going dead. The idea that strings loose resilience or the ability to snap back quickly is also controversial and I don't think is acutally proven.

Micky
01-22-2006, 07:50 PM
If 2 identical racquets are strung with the same string (lets just say Signum PPP), same guage (17), but at 10 pounds different (one at 60 and one at 50), after both sting jobs go "dead" will the ending tension be the same?

Thanks

Hola Gaines,

Using Freqmess computer program (follow the link below) I want to give you the following example of a PSGDF strung @ 61 lbs:

day 0, 34,4 lbs (no balls hit yet)
day 1, 33,1 lbs (after three hours of train)
day 2, 32,2 lbs (after fhree hours of train)
day 3, 34,2 lbs....here the racquet felt dead. I have a bunch of theories why the pressure went back up...but that will be an issue later.:rolleyes:

PSGDF strung @ 63 lbs (hoping that with the 2 lbs lost it will be compansated and be perfect until it brakes) but...

day 0, 36,4 lbs (no balls hit yet)
day 1, 34,9 lbs (three hours of train)
day 2, 34,5 lbs (three hours of train)
day 3, 34,4 lbs...here the racquet felt dead.:eek:

I did three freqmess tests each day...so the tensions are an average.

Nice :cool:

Micky

http://www.tennis-altensteig.de/freqmess.php

PBODY99
01-22-2006, 08:04 PM

Thanks

No they won't. To add to the above post, the effect of creep is over time, which is what the computer program measures by recording the string vibration. Placing the strings under tension sets up a system that relates to the tension.