PDA

View Full Version : Question for Ncode 95 18x20 users @ 5.0+ level...

LethalLefty
01-22-2006, 06:56 AM
String and tension dilemma for this frame:

My last experiment was using TIMO 17 @63lbs. Started out great, but after approximately 4 hours, felt considerable tension drop along with springy feel and ball started to sail!

Specifically, I'm looking for something more crisp to avoid that annoying spongy feel.

Current strings that I have in my bag are: Babolat Pro Hurricane 16, Prince SG w/Duraflex 17 and Tecnifibre NRG 18.

Would appreciate feedback on your thoughts and experiences!

Brief summary of my game: In between 5.0 and 5.5 (getting older), lefty, strong forehand and serve, mostly slice backhand, all court game. If comparing game to known player (Feliciano Lopez). I was a long time user of the PS 85, but decided to switch to something a little more forgiving over a long haul match (South Florida heat!).

dmastous
01-22-2006, 07:13 AM
I'd say your best bet would be the Tecnifibre NRG 18. Too bad you don't have a 17 guage version.
Take a quick trip to the String database at ***********:
http://www.s t r i n g f o r u m.n e t/stringdb.php

LethalLefty
01-22-2006, 07:35 AM
On the tecnifibre nrg 17, at how many pounds on this frame? Please keep in mind that at 63lbs. the TIMO 17 ultimately became spongy and too much power.

dmastous
01-22-2006, 08:04 AM
On the tecnifibre nrg 17, at how many pounds on this frame? Please keep in mind that at 63lbs. the TIMO 17 ultimately became spongy and too much power.
Most multifillament string will lose tension after being strung. I've read good reviews of the Technifire NRG string. I used Wilson NXT and found it to be uncontrollable with my game. I look for more control in a string and I provide the power.
To relieve stress on my shoulder, I too went to a nCode racquet (nTour 95) and tried a multifilament in one as well as Luxillon Alo Rough in the other, and both proved to be too powerfull. I liked the softer feel of NXT, and wanted to be able to hit with some power without having to swing as hard. The problem was I didn't have the feeling of control I have with the Thin Blend I use. So to get the feel and spin back I went back to Thin Blend. So far I've liked the result.
If you don't like a softer string (if that's what spongy means) then maybe the NRG string isn't a good choice. It will probably feel similar to NXT.

LethalLefty
01-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the input, I'll give the Thin Blend a try next.