PDA

View Full Version : deciding on a good string, please help!

andyroddick's mojo
01-22-2006, 10:50 AM
hey guys
i'm a junior intermediate player, taking tennis very seriously now, and trying to get better. I use a wilson n-six one 95, and am trying to find the perfect string off TW. I'm thinking of trying luxilon ace 18 or timo 18, or one of those hybrids. I can't decide and its driving me crazy! basically all i want is a very good spin string, along with some power. I don't break strings very often so the durability can be decent. Are any of you guys using these strings? which do you think is better? you can suggest other brand products. THANKS EVERYONE.:)

p.s. i don't have tennis elbow or anything.

smittysan89
01-22-2006, 10:56 AM
I have a sort of similair question as you, except with a syn gut hybrid. Please answer.

DANMAN
01-22-2006, 11:48 AM
If you are an intermediate player and you don't break strings, there really is no reason for you to try Luxilon unless its because everyone else is using it. I use it and love it (spin and ability to swing out), but I break strings like there is no tomorrow. If you are really serious about tennis, try some natural gut. I would recommend either the Klip Legend for a premium gut at a reasonable price or BDE rally for an imperfect gut at a very reasonable price. If you are going to try Luxilon, I would try the ALU as it seems to be the overall favorite. If you are going to do a poly hybrid, hybrid the poly with a synthetic gut like Prince synthetic gut with duraflex. Good luck.

smittysan89
01-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Acctually I do break strings, I tear through thin syn gut right away so I am looking for something with more bite on the ball that i wont tear through.

DANMAN
01-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Then order a set of ALU, Timo, Ace, Original, and as a cost effective alternative Unique Tourna Poly Big Hitter. Many people like Hurricane but I don't like it nearly as much as Luxilon. The only way you will know which Luxilon you will like is to try them. The original is the softest of the four. Ace played funky for me. Timo is the harshest. Ace may be as soft as original...I can't recall. Timo has the best control. I would, as I said before, try ALU if you are only going to try one. Unique Big Hitter plays just as well as ALU in my opinion (coming from a three year ALU user) for a fraction of the cost. GOOD LUCK.

smittysan89
01-22-2006, 08:00 PM
does alu rough provide effective bite on the ball?

PBODY99
01-22-2006, 08:31 PM
does alu rough provide effective bite on the ball?

The value of a texture to increase bite has not been proven. The thinner strings
generally give more bite as they allow the balll to sink into the stringbed a little more.:cool:
With string , as with rackets, you need to try a setup to see if it works for the most important player in the world..yourself.;)

smittysan89
01-23-2006, 04:03 PM
I agree unfortunately im 16 years old and I break strings so I dont have that high of a budget! And parents dont really want to fund my experiment.