PDA

View Full Version : RDX500 MP KILLS my Diablo!??

exhaleexplode
01-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Way more spin. May more control. SO soft, so much comfort. slice, topspin, whatever. I NEED one. But I only played with it for 15 min. Is that still in some sort of honeymoon phase?

Donnie Darko
01-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Way more spin. May more control. SO soft, so much comfort. slice, topspin, whatever. I NEED one. But I only played with it for 15 min. Is that still in some sort of honeymoon phase?

I never understood why people liked the Diablo. Decent control but harsh feeling.

stevewcosta
01-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Which Diablo?

matchpoint54
01-22-2006, 12:09 PM
I think he's talking about the MP. I like the Diablo. I admit that the RDX 500 can generate a lot of topspin, but I thought I could serve better with the Diablo. The Diablo is a bad volleying racket, but I thought i could control the ball better with it. The Diablo doesn't feel harsh to me.

exhaleexplode
01-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Its the mid. Im not the most accomplished player here, but I was warm, (had been hitting for 1.5hrs). When I tried the rdx mp effortless spin..Loved the flexibility. Could really feel the ball on the strings. Dove for a return of serve and the rdx kindly placed it deep in the corner.

Pancho
01-22-2006, 02:10 PM
I have to say RDX300 and Nanospeed RQ7 also produces topspin - I tried those racquets of my niece. She is only 13 but hits with lots of spin!

Davai
01-22-2006, 04:18 PM

Are you joking?

exhaleexplode
01-22-2006, 07:24 PM
No Im not joking. Diablo Mid vs RDX 500 MP. RDX felt like silk. Why do you ask?
I heard RDX was a good racquet, but I was still pleasantly surprised. My hitting partner noticed I was much better with it too. I have noticed with some sports equipment that it feels better when you first try it, but that fades quickly.

Davai
01-22-2006, 07:42 PM
Well cause you haven't considered any other factors. You seem very rash in your judgment, imo it seems overall incorrect. I'm sorry I just can't believe that the Diablo has less control than the RDX. The way you are you are describing it, power and control, I don't know something just tells me that something is wrong. I guess you might be right but IMO I think you should stick with the Diablo.

exhaleexplode
01-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Well, Ive only been playing seriously (1-3 times a week average 2) for 6 months, so maybe thats why. But the better I feel the ball on the strings, the more control and confidence I have. Diablo mid is strung at 60lbs with bde gut. I do plenty of weights and bands, forearms too, so its not the weight, its the feel.

jackson vile
01-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Do youself a favor and get rid of the Diablo and get the RDX, even the POG is better than the Diablo

BLiND
01-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Personally I prefer the Diablo Mid... more solid, better spin (for me), more control... yes the RDX is softer but I find the control poor.

Deuce
01-23-2006, 12:05 AM
The Diablo Mid is quite stiff - too stiff for my liking.

I tried the RDX 500 MidPlus for all of about 10 hits. Didn't like it at all. Same goes for the RDX 300.

To each his/her own...

jackson vile
01-23-2006, 08:37 AM
Deuce what racket do you like?:confused:

Kevo
01-23-2006, 11:53 AM

Do you know what string and tension the RDX was strung with. I've found it to be string sensitive, so you might want to find out if you decide to switch to it. BTW, I really like my RDX.

backcourt
01-23-2006, 12:08 PM
I find the rdx 500 mp to be more shoulder friendly than the Diablo MP; which I used for a couple of months. The rdx has a bigger sweetspot and is overall a more comfortable stick. That said, I think they're about equal in the large amount of spin they can impart on the ball, and I seemed to get more power on my serve with the Diablo mp. Overall, I like the Yonex.

exhaleexplode
01-23-2006, 03:42 PM
I just picked up a demo model RDX500 MP. Im gonna take a few days to decide!

Deuce
01-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Deuce what racket do you like?:confused:

Do a search to find out.

It's good to find out about a lot of different racquets - not just the shiny new ones with "advanced technology" that the racquet companies want everyone to switch to every year or two.

It's also good to have high standards, rather than to simply accept the very mediocre status quo.

exhaleexplode
01-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Odd, very odd. Just hit for 2 hrs with the demo RDX...no wait 1.5hrs swapping the 2 sticks. The last 1/2 hour I just stuck with the diablo. Strange! Very Strange! Why did it feel so good before. And now...it feels ok. Good for serving consistency. String is different than before. I officially retract my previous statement...the rdx no longer kills my diablo. Why im not sure. Could be the string. I was too hasty!

stevewcosta
01-24-2006, 05:28 AM
That's more like it. RDX sux IMO. No feel, too soft, too light.

exhaleexplode
01-24-2006, 07:19 AM
So what's similar (but better than) the diablo? Maybe a little softer? Maybe better feel or a bigger sweetspot?

JediMindTrick
01-24-2006, 07:46 AM
So what's similar (but better than) the diablo? Maybe a little softer? Maybe better feel or a bigger sweetspot?

The RDX 500 MP is exactly how you described it the first time, soft comfortable, great feel, control and stability, and a spin monster. Demo racquets typicaly have dead strings so that's probably why you didn't like it the second time around. If you want something similar to diablo but is softer and has a larger sweetspot, the RDX 500 MP is probably your best bet but it is string sensitive. If you decide to buy it make sure you string it at the low end of the range (55-58) with a good multi (or even better with nat gut if you can afford it).

Another racquet that you might like is Prince O3 Tour. It's also soft and has a large sweetspot. I felt that the RDX is more stable and has better control but a lot of people love the O3 Tour so you may want to give it a try.

exhaleexplode
01-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks very much. Ill try my friends rdx again sometime (the one I tried the first time) Coincidentaly, Ive got a o3 a yonex rQ7 and babolat pure drive here waiting to be demoed! Basically I figure ill try them all, along with my diablo till theres one I dont want to put down. Thats the winner.

backhand
01-25-2006, 07:42 AM
I've owned the Diablo Mid, played with the RDX MP. Can make no sense out of your comparison; gotta be the honeymoon phase. Diablo has its issues (bit stiff for some, spin takes some care, small head requires good mechanics), but it has crazy control, good string feel, very forgiving and smooth for a 93" frame even way off axis, and more powerful than a 93 has any right to be; definitely more power than the RDX. I'd give the edge to the RDX for spin and call control and feel different but washes. More to the point, these are very different racquets with very different missions. Kind of like saying that you tried a Prince O3 Blue and liked it a lot better than the POG.

hermano05
01-25-2006, 07:56 AM
as im a baseliner and i hit with many spin, what tension and what kind of string is good for me to use with the rdx500 midplus?

exhaleexplode
01-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks Jedi. I tried the 3 demos. The babolat....hmmmm, meh..Its a racquet. I dont know how rod served up 150mph with it! The yonex was better. Felt good. Untill a string broke. The o3 tour was the champ though. very good for serves. Consistent and powerful. Better than the diablo. Not hugely better, but better. I liked it. And Mr. Backhand, you know, I can compare any sticks that I want! I want to know which suits me best.

JediMindTrick
01-25-2006, 09:41 AM
as im a baseliner and i hit with many spin, what tension and what kind of string is good for me to use with the rdx500 midplus?

The RDX 500 MP is the king of spin so you will get plenty of spin no matter the string. The thing is that many people feel that the racquet is a little low on power so I would recoment a powerfull multi like X-One Biphase strung low (55 to 58).

exhaleexplode
01-25-2006, 11:11 AM
More power than the diablo!

jackson vile
01-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Do a search to find out.

It's good to find out about a lot of different racquets - not just the shiny new ones with "advanced technology" that the racquet companies want everyone to switch to every year or two.

It's also good to have high standards, rather than to simply accept the very mediocre status quo.

Oh sorry my standards aren't as high as your's and I fall for the gimmicks, I'm just good with any racket I use unlike others that make excuses:mrgreen:

Deuce
01-26-2006, 01:18 AM
Oh sorry my standards aren't as high as your's and I fall for the gimmicks, I'm just good with any racket I use unlike others that make excuses:mrgreen:

No, actually, you're a smart *** kid who doesn't know as much as you think you know.

The good news is that you've plenty of time to learn things.

freelancer
01-26-2006, 07:25 AM
I played with the Diablo midsize for almost a year until I played with an RDX 500 90. I ended up buying a Yonex off of **** and have played with it for a year now. I love it.

skraggle
01-26-2006, 10:18 AM
First off, how anyone can think the Diablo Mid is a bad volleying racquet is beyond me. With it, I can handle incoming pace with ease and direct it right where i want. Yes, the racquet is stiff, but it's very consistent and will give you exactly what you put into it.

As for the RDX 500 MP, did not like it at all. For me, it lacked substance and felt tinny. Hits a nice ball, but you can say that about a lot of racquets. Very little feel.

czech09
01-26-2006, 03:21 PM
First off, how anyone can think the Diablo Mid is a bad volleying racquet is beyond me. With it, I can handle incoming pace with ease and direct it right where i want. Yes, the racquet is stiff, but it's very consistent and will give you exactly what you put into it.

As for the RDX 500 MP, did not like it at all. For me, it lacked substance and felt tinny. Hits a nice ball, but you can say that about a lot of racquets. Very little feel.

Thought exactly the same, anyone want to sell their Diablo? I'll buy it!

exhaleexplode
01-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Guys, I finished with my demos today. I came to a very important conclusion yesterday. I was playing with some much more experienced guys and I was a tad tentative. Naturally, I was having a fair bit of off center hits and frame shots. Now at this point I had found the o3 tour to be the top pick (Slightly larger sweetspot, plows through the ball well) but think about how I was playing with these guys! It didnt matter what frame(I just stuck with my diablo)! When Im just hitting serves or on the ball machine I will notice these slight differences, but as it stands the difference between me at my best and at my worst is ten times greater than the difference most racquets will make in my game. So for now I am sticking with my diablo, and working on my head! Thanks so much for the advice.

czech09
01-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Guys, I finished with my demos today. I came to a very important conclusion yesterday. I was playing with some much more experienced guys and I was a tad tentative. Naturally, I was having a fair bit of off center hits and frame shots. Now at this point I had found the o3 tour to be the top pick (Slightly larger sweetspot, plows through the ball well) but think about how I was playing with these guys! It didnt matter what frame(I just stuck with my diablo)! When Im just hitting serves or on the ball machine I will notice these slight differences, but as it stands the difference between me at my best and at my worst is ten times greater than the difference most racquets will make in my game. So for now I am sticking with my diablo, and working on my head! Thanks so much for the advice.

Exactly good call. I always say it's 80% player, 20% racquet. Wish you would have picked the other option for my sake (so I could get a good deal on the Diablo ;) but for your own I think you made the better choice. I really liked the Diablo Tour better than the O3. Thought it was a better all round racquet. The O3 might have a had a little better feel to it and might have been a little better on the slices/spins for me but for everything else I prefered the Diablo.