PDA

View Full Version : What racquet has the most quality-control

GugaGuga
01-22-2006, 02:51 PM
I am wondering which of the players racquets has the best quality control from frame to frame. (For example, I have noticed that the new Head liquid-metal prestiges are made in Europe again. I know that the China-made Classic Mids had some pretty crappy quality control. Are the Czech made ones as reputable as the Austrian models?)

When I'm talking about quality control, I am talking about both the consistency of one frame to the next as well as the overall quality of the racquet.

I'm also just talking about the models that are available to the general public. (For example, I know that Federer's racquets are made for him, and they are virtually identical. Btw, this is fact, and I don't want a lot of input about whether or not the pros use paintjobs etc. etc. etc. It is fact that Federer's racquets are made for him, although a casual inspection reveals that they are certainly the same shape, head size and basic construction of the nCode tours that are sold to the general public.) So, about those nCodes sold to the public...are they quality sticks? Or, does their play depend on which "batch" of racquets you happen to get?

What about Slazenger, Vokl, Fischer etc.? Do these companies have better quality control, or are their products pumped out of the same production lines as Wilson and Head?

Any input on any of these topics would be appreciated.

Thanks

iscottius
01-22-2006, 02:55 PM
guga,
belive it or not, the chineese are known for thier quality control and as a manufacturing nation they are dependant on this. that being said, the two racquet companies that are known for consistency in specs are Yonex and Fischer.

sureshs
01-22-2006, 02:57 PM
It is fact that Federer's racquets are made for him, although a casual inspection reveals that they are certainly the same shape, head size and basic construction of the nCode tours that are sold to the general public.) Thanks

The head size is said to be 88 si, not 90 si like the nCode tour. And it may not even be nCoded construction, whatever that is.

Indy Tennis
01-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Along with Yonex and Fischer, I would add ProKennex as also being known for great quality.

DANMAN
01-22-2006, 03:03 PM
Volkl is up there also

GugaGuga
01-22-2006, 03:14 PM
The head size is said to be 88 si, not 90 si like the nCode tour. And it may not even be nCoded construction, whatever that is.

Personally, I don't really buy into the nCoded construction thing. I'm pretty sure it's a marketing gimmick. However, I expect that both Federer and the general public's nCode models are just a graphite/kevlar construction with a player's racquet flex. His are just made with top-notch quality control.

As for the Chinese being great manufacturers...well, it's not that I am suggesting that they aren't, but one has to keep in mind the goal of the production process for the racquets to be sold to the general public. Their goal is to maintain good consistency from racquet to racquet, but their greater goal is to produce the number of racquets required for mass-market distrobution.

Honestly, I think that it's amazing that they are able to produce pretty-darn good frames for the general public, but I know that they do lose some quality when producing frames by the 10,000's.

Keifers
01-22-2006, 03:24 PM
What really counts are the tolerances specified by each racquet company as acceptable deviations from spec when frames are put through final accept/reject testing.

Some companies, for example, allow +- 10 grams in static weight. Others specify +- 7 grams.

dscw
01-22-2006, 03:57 PM
yonex has to one of the better brands

DANMAN
01-22-2006, 04:44 PM
I was surprised when looking at the throat of my PD+ and seeing that the RA stiffness was 69 plus or minus three. A 66 RA racket and a 72 RA racket would be a huge difference, that is if you got two on the extreme end of specs.

AJK1
01-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Yonex by a mile, made in japan says it all.

The Pusher Terminator
01-22-2006, 05:02 PM
I heard that Wilson was the worst.

Bottle Rocket
01-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Probably not a "players frame", but I'd vote AGAINST Babalot for build quality and quality control.

bagung
01-22-2006, 06:03 PM
is all yonex made in japan? including the nano speed 7?

matchpoint54
01-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Yonex is the best. It has the best quality.

Askmeo88
01-22-2006, 06:36 PM
My Yonex MP Tour-1 has excellent quality in terms of build and paint. I also have an RDX500, which is a well built racquet also, but the clear coat of the paint is somewhat disappointing. It will regularly come of if I hit a framer...

It looks as though Yonex quality isn't what it used be. :neutral:

The_Dark_Knight
01-22-2006, 06:55 PM
I'll tell you that wilson has pretty bad quality control, and prince has not-so-great paint (I chipped a bunch of it off at the throat with my fingernail)...

giver deaner
01-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Seeing that any given factory in China has Wilson, Prince, Bab, and head all together, it kind of makes it hard to choose

La Bomba
01-22-2006, 09:33 PM
OK, Wilson has a horribly quality control, their racquets chip so easily and when i bought my to ncode 95's the shop took out 6 racquets and the weight difference was huge between most of them, and my two which are both 350g and are both balanced within 1mm. As for head when they were made in Austria or Czech Republic they had beutiful quality control, racquets would not chip etc. Now that the factory has been moved to China it is the exact opposite of quality . The workers in China are not payed as much therefore do not care about their work as much as in Austria. Bottom line China has really crap quality control and is not up to standard. Also Prince which is made in China, Babolat etc all chip if u bump it on a hardcourt or on a fence, also the weight discreppencies are horrible. Thats why racquet companies like Head have gone to China because it is cheaper and can make a bigger profit than in Austria which had excellent quality control but was more expensive.

Deuce
01-22-2006, 11:40 PM
I am wondering which of the players racquets has the best quality control from frame to frame. (For example, I have noticed that the new Head liquid-metal prestiges are made in Europe again. I know that the China-made Classic Mids had some pretty crappy quality control. Are the Czech made ones as reputable as the Austrian models?)

I've never seen a Classic Mid or Prestige Classic made in China. I've seen made in Austria versions, and 'designed in Austria' versions, the latter of which were "finished in the Czech republic".

But I've never seen a Classic Mid or Prestige Classic that was made in China.

By the way, the LiquidMetal Prestige Mid I had last week was Made in Austria (although it was only a small butt cap sticker that noted this), and the paint quality seemed rather poor, with several very small chips.

I've seen nCode 6.1 90 frames where the paint chipped easily and unacceptably, as well.

I don't think it's a secret that the overall quality of racquets is nowhere near as high as it was 10 or 15 years ago.

czech09
01-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Anything made in Czech :)

ssuHeartsRivald
01-23-2006, 06:50 AM
wilson not the worst, that depend on who use it. Slaz the worst...imo. I agree that whoever said babolat have a best control to use.

iscottius
01-23-2006, 08:51 AM
OK, Wilson has a horribly quality control, their racquets chip so easily and when i bought my to ncode 95's the shop took out 6 racquets and the weight difference was huge between most of them, and my two which are both 350g and are both balanced within 1mm. As for head when they were made in Austria or Czech Republic they had beutiful quality control, racquets would not chip etc. Now that the factory has been moved to China it is the exact opposite of quality . The workers in China are not payed as much therefore do not care about their work as much as in Austria. Bottom line China has really crap quality control and is not up to standard. Also Prince which is made in China, Babolat etc all chip if u bump it on a hardcourt or on a fence, also the weight discreppencies are horrible. Thats why racquet companies like Head have gone to China because it is cheaper and can make a bigger profit than in Austria which had excellent quality control but was more expensive.

I am not sure that I agree with you, China is a major manufacturer of goods and plants have been set up thier to capture the inexpensive labor costs, but like anything else there are factories in China that produce high quality goods and there are factories that do not. It depends on the manufacturers requirements, contracts, service level agreements and costs. Because China is a dominate force in manufacturing, they have the ability to produce high quality goods and sre considered leaders in QC.

iscottius
01-23-2006, 08:53 AM
Along with Yonex and Fischer, I would add ProKennex as also being known for great quality.

I am not sure about Pro Kennex, they have changed owners over the past few years and have changed manufacturers and went through some tough times with quality and distribution, but seem to have this straightened out

vsbabolat
01-23-2006, 10:09 AM
I just wanted to comment on GuggaGugga saying that the Head Classic Mid was Made In China. In fact those Classic Mids were made in Austria. I have the 1999 Catalog from Head. It says,

"All Head performance tennis racquets are designed and manufactured in state-of-the-art facilities in Austria. As the only leading brand of racquets to keep production in-house, HEAD is able to maintain superior quality control to assure players of optimum preformance and consistency from every HEAD racquet manufactured." With a nice picture of the factory.

How the world has changed in 7 years. In fact no Prestige or Classic Mid has ever been made in China untill this year with introduction of the Flexpoint Prestige. Because Head closed the tennis racquet side of the factory in the summer of 2005. In fact Head fired 120 workers in the Kennelbach, Austria and 130 workers in Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic.