PDA

View Full Version : Pro Kennex 5g - Reload

netman
01-22-2006, 05:42 PM
Took a nasty spill during a match a couple of weeks ago and landed hard on my right elbow. Afterwards, I could no longer use my MaxPly McEnroes. They were aggravating my tender joint too much. So I pulled out my trusty PK 5g. Since the switch I have won two marathon matches, served better than I can remember, while hitting wonderful passing shots, drop shots and volleys over and over. And no elbow pain.

Always been a big proponent of the 5g for TE sufferers, but I have used it only when my elbow or shoulder were getting a little cranky. Now I'm thinking its time to re-evaluate it as a main playing stick. Because it can be strung in the low 50's, its give wonderful control and and a lot of shot options.

Anyone using the 5g as their primary weapon? What kind of string and setup do you use? Any tricks to get even more performance out of it?

Thanks
-k-

courtrage
01-22-2006, 05:46 PM
i just started using the 5G PSE. Do you use the PSE as well? i'm interested in the same info as you are. I got mine used so i dont know what its strung at but the balls keep flyin on me and i dont have the feel i expect at impact. Do you think thats just a matter of tension?

netman
01-23-2006, 05:45 AM
i just started using the 5G PSE. Do you use the PSE as well? i'm interested in the same info as you are. I got mine used so i dont know what its strung at but the balls keep flyin on me and i dont have the feel i expect at impact. Do you think thats just a matter of tension?

I don't use the PSE. Found it to be too heavy. If the balls are flying on you it may be strung too lossely. The 5g has more power than a typical player frame.

You won't get much "feel" out of any Kinetic frame. Feel is another term for the shock and vibration you experience when the racquet collides with the ball. The Kinetic system is made to dampen most of this shock and vibration, hence the lack of feel you mention. If you need this feedback, the PSE may not work for you.

-k-

tennisphotog
01-23-2006, 06:27 AM
Yeah, it is a great stick. Great feel, though I found it tough getting the spin and arc for the net clearance I wanted. Still, I would recommend it to anyone.

Shyyre
01-23-2006, 08:59 AM
i switched and have been very happy with the results. i find that i get plently of pop and have good control (my form is not all that great though) but what i was really impressed with was the spin generated on slices... it's awesome!

all in all, i recommend it for anyone, and if your elbow is a realy problem, put a soft multi in there at a low tension (yonex pro spin or dunlop max comfort)

Tennisaurus
01-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Since getting over a few serious bouts of golfers elbow I have been using the PK 5G as my main stick. I keep the tension at around 55 with Wilson NXT. (may try nat gut - just for the experience).

I have two of them - one of them leaded at 3&9 and one leaded at 2&10. Haven't decided which mod I like better - I switch back and forth if one feels better than the other at any particular time.

PK5G has a nice combination of weight, bal, feel and maneuverability. Bottom Line : It has helped me kept my tendonitis in check and is fun to play with!

Shyyre
01-23-2006, 09:18 AM
PK5G has a nice combination of weight, bal, feel and maneuverability. Bottom Line : It has helped me kept my tendonitis in check and is fun to play with!

that's the truth... but i'd be interested to hear about what you decide upon for you lead tape issue...

North
01-23-2006, 09:26 AM
Great racquet. Can be a little high powered though stringing at lower tensions easily tempers that. I get good control and get good spin/slice from the baseline and very nice feel up at the net on volleys and on touch shots. In fact, I think the racquet encourages more finesse. I found I had to learn to pay attention to different sensations when striking the ball since there are no typical jarring-type senstations to the arm at all. It was like getting attuned to more subtle cues about the ball on the strings.

I use Klip Excellerator 17g at 60lbs. I've tried some of the really soft multis but they all seem to lose tension after a few hours. I like the Klip because it holds tension longer and has a lot more pop than most multis - in fact I think I could string a lot lower with it and still get a very good control/power mix.

The 5G is probably not for a pure baseline basher but works well for all-court play. I try to S&V and come to net as much as possible and it serves me well doing that. I haven't felt the need to make any changes to the balance/weight, etc.

Tennisaurus
01-23-2006, 10:20 AM
that's the truth... but i'd be interested to hear about what you decide upon for you lead tape issue...

Well, its a "feel" thing. Some days the 3&9 feels just right and I am hitting the ball dead on, and other days the 2&10 feels better, and vice-versa. I'll need to keep alternating and see if there is an definitive preference. I sense that I am hitting groundies with more power with the 3&9 mod, but, the 2&10 raises the sweetspot and helps me serve with more power. (I guess that's what these mods are supposed to do!) Maybe I should alternate rackets when I am serving and receiving!

Shyyre
01-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Well, its a "feel" thing. Some days the 3&9 feels just right and I am hitting the ball dead on, and other days the 2&10 feels better, and vice-versa. I'll need to keep alternating and see if there is an definitive preference. I sense that I am hitting groundies with more power with the 3&9 mod, but, the 2&10 raises the sweetspot and helps me serve with more power. (I guess that's what these mods are supposed to do!) Maybe I should alternate rackets when I am serving and receiving!

lol, if you can pull that off you should tape it and put it on youtube.com:)