PDA

View Full Version : Safin's Strings

Amit
01-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Hey guys I havent been to the boards in quite a while and I havent played tennis for about 2 months >_<. Any way I'm back into tennis because the school season has started and finals are over. I was just wondering what string setup Safin is using currently full alu rough I believe but what tension and what gauge? My setup (the hybrid that most pros use bab gut/alu rough) has become too expensive and breaks about every three days. I was thinking about going all alu, and my racket has similar specs to safins regardless of it being an asian ncode tour 90 so I thought why not try his specs out and tweak it from there. Thanks

giver deaner
01-22-2006, 06:13 PM
I thought he back to all gut?

Amit
01-22-2006, 06:28 PM
in the latest issue of tennis magazine it said safin used all alu rough but then again it also said that he uses a lm prestige lol Ive also heard by hummer23 (i think correct if im wrong hummer)that he dosent use luxilon at all. can any one clarify what he is using?

PBODY99
01-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Hey guys I havent been to the boards in quite a while and I havent played tennis for about 2 months >_<. Any way I'm back into tennis because the school season has started and finals are over. I was just wondering what string setup Safin is using currently full alu rough I believe but what tension and what gauge? My setup (the hybrid that most pros use bab gut/alu rough) has become too expensive and breaks about every three days. I was thinking about going all alu, and my racket has similar specs to safins regardless of it being an asian ncode tour 90 so I thought why not try his specs out and tweak it from there. Thanks

Well he is out injured. So I guess you want what his last reported set up was.
Since cost is a consideration, try BigHitter 17g in the mains and a 16g multi in the crosses. Stay with your old tension to start.

Amit
01-22-2006, 08:05 PM
ya the last setup any one know what it was? The bighitter suggestion sounds nice does it last long? Im still leaning towards all alu rough cuz i liked that string so much and sadly, I must admit, because Safin uses it =) haha but ya that gives me some sort of false hope the the strings will help me play better lol but regarless i would like to know safins specs in regards of strings

Amit
01-22-2006, 09:03 PM
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=53405511&cdi=0

looks like all alu to me because the crosses are all alu and I kno if he was to use gut it would be in the crosses.

Amit
01-23-2006, 05:28 PM
no one knows =( im just bumping this back up

ace of spades
01-23-2006, 06:03 PM
i would like to know too

Amit
01-23-2006, 08:04 PM
if i had moved this topic to the pro gear forum id get alot more replies maybe ill repost

tennis4losers
01-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Im pretty sure he uses all lux

safin_protege
01-25-2006, 03:32 PM
From other threads on this topic, it is thought that he switches setups often. Somtimes he used Babolat VS Natural Gut, sometimes a hybrid between Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power and Babolat VS Natural Gut, and during clay season he uses Babolat Ballistic Polymono (he has said he gets good spin with it).

smittysan89
01-25-2006, 03:53 PM
safin protege how do you like your current string setup?

safin_protege
01-25-2006, 03:56 PM
I like it a lot; plenty of control, durability and a really firm, solid feel.

Amit
01-25-2006, 06:54 PM
hrmm i am interested in his current full alu setup though so i can try it out and then tweak form there beacuse a gut hybrid just isnt durable enough to last me and since no one seems to know can any one suggest a good setup for a full alu rough? SHould I vary tension from cross and main? Im still interested in what safin uses when he goes all alu so please tell if any of you guys know.

rounick
01-26-2006, 03:29 PM
alu rough mains
VS touch crosses

stimes 29/28
stimes 30/29
stimes more

Amit
01-26-2006, 03:35 PM
im looking for the all alu setup tho >_< seems like no one knows any way any suggestions? should i keep crosses and mains the same tension when using all alu rough 16l?

rounick
01-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Depends on what you re used to really..You shouldn't try and copy EXACTLY
anyones specs,and you should keep in mind that pros in general and Safin too change all the time,depending on court,conditions,humidity,temp,balls etc.Also,Safin's racquet is nothing like yours,and even that changes all the time.If you want to copy healthy pro habits and can afford it,EXPERIMENT.

Amit
01-26-2006, 05:04 PM
how can u say its nothin like mine if its exact spec minus the headsize which is compensated for because my string pattern is basically as dense as his being that my racket is a 90 any way thats aside the point i would just like to know a good setup for full alu I was merely asking safins specs for a point of refrence to adapt to my own game through trail and error

smittysan89
01-26-2006, 05:06 PM
I would just reduce tension 5 lbs or so and that should be fine. I have never heard anything in perticular about changing tensions in a full setup.

Amit
01-26-2006, 05:37 PM
ok sounds good I might just go with full alu rough at 60 then adjust but still if any one could shed light on the varying tension thing

ace of spades
01-26-2006, 06:16 PM
ok sounds good I might just go with full alu rough at 60 then adjust but still if any one could shed light on the varying tension thing
damn dude 60lbs on a dense 90" pattern, the most i would go on that is 55!
unless you like you shiz thight

smittysan89
01-26-2006, 06:54 PM
damn dude 60lbs on a dense 90" pattern, the most i would go on that is 55!
unless you like you shiz thight
60 is pretty high but I would stay around 58. If you usually play at 66 lbs then 60 should be ok.

Amit
01-26-2006, 07:56 PM
the 10 percent rule? hrmm thats really meant to be followed eh lol ya i may go something like 58.