PDA

View Full Version : Help with Racquet selection...

czech09
01-22-2006, 09:38 PM
I currently have a Wilson Hyper Hammer 4.0. I checked the comparitive review sticky but there wasn't much on there. I personally think the racquet is not bad, but for me it seems to lack the power. Many times when I swing hard the balls go long. I'm 6'2" and 150lbs so I'm not the strongest person but when I fully swing I usually can't get a good shot off. I'd say I prefer longer swings and slicing (which I think the racquet is poor at). I string it at 60lbs and haven't modified it in any way. Would maybe a racquet with more weight possibly be right for me? Maybe less surface area? Tighter strung? Thanks any help is appreciated...

Thanks in advance to all,

Lubomir

str33t
01-22-2006, 09:57 PM
finally i find a person that has played with the hyper hammer 4.0! i used to play with that racquet and its not a bad one either. but i have to agree with you on the slicing. its horrible with the slices. the ball just bounces off the racquet. to me, the racquet was way too light. i had to hit with lots of topspin to keep the ball in because many shots went too deep. if i remember correctly, it weighed about 8.5 ounces ? i ditched that racquet and have moved onto a head liquidmetal radical. it fits more to my play since it is heavier and head light. i hit with a semi-western forehand and a two-handed backhand. hope i helped somehow! :)
p.s. where did you find the review for it ?

czech09
01-22-2006, 10:12 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=62876

I didn't find a review on the hyper hammer itself but that's the comparitive review (of many racquets) I was talking about ^. Thanks for your help I'll look into the Head liquid metal - seems like we have very similar styles of play.

andyroddick's mojo
01-22-2006, 11:22 PM
try one of the new wilson ncodes. a little more weight will definitely give you more power, and maybe spin. When I first bought my nsixone 95, it felt heavy to me, since I wasn't the strongest at swinging heavy rackets, and had recently switched from a lighter racket, but after a few weeks/months i've gotten stronger because of it.

czech09
01-22-2006, 11:59 PM
try one of the new wilson ncodes. a little more weight will definitely give you more power, and maybe spin. When I first bought my nsixone 95, it felt heavy to me, since I wasn't the strongest at swinging heavy rackets, and had recently switched from a lighter racket, but after a few weeks/months i've gotten stronger because of it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I added it to my list to demo. I think I actually need something that has longer swings. I think the 4.0 is too low for me and need something heavier so this might do it.

So far I have the following on my list - I'm going to try to add about 5 more to this list and then cut it down again to bring the final count to about 3 that I'll test:

Head Liquidmetal Radical MP
Wilson nSix-One 95
Wilson nSix-One Tour
Wilson Pro Staff Original 6.0 95

czech09
01-23-2006, 06:13 AM
Still need some more suggestions...I'd like to test out a few different companies instead of all those wilsons I have up there (I think they're all very similar to each other).

czech09
01-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Comeon people need some more input :)

Bottle Rocket
01-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Try the Wilson nTour 105 and or the 95 inch head, give the Babolat Pure Storm a try too.

I think if you go from a Hammer to the nSix-one, you're going to experience a lot of discomfort. That's a BIG move.

str33t
01-23-2006, 02:46 PM
also try the babolat pure drive and pure drive os. i demoed them before i bought my lm radical and i found them to be quite similar to the 4.0 but they hav more power n control. also they are better with the slices and topspins. they were very comfortable to play with. i agree with andyroddick'smojo about the issue with the heavy racquets. at first the lm radical seemed a little heavy for me since the move from the light 4.0 but i seemed to have gotten stronger by swinging around a heavier racquet.
-hope ive been helpful :cool:

czech09
01-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Try the Wilson nTour 105 and or the 95 inch head, give the Babolat Pure Storm a try too.

I think if you go from a Hammer to the nSix-one, you're going to experience a lot of discomfort. That's a BIG move.

Ding ding ding. Today I tested out the following racquets:

Wilson nSix-one Tour

Prince Diablo

Yonex RDX500

You are completely right on the Wilson I have to say that was the one I thought was going to be the best but it finished dead last in my rating of these 3. I thought I wouldn't mind weight but this thing was really heavy for me. It did do some nice slices but for my performance level I think it was a little too much in terms of ground strokes - couldn't get anything going consistently.

The Yonex was a problem, the one I tested seemed to have been strung at a pretty high tension and was missing the shock absorber/dampner. I thought it was a solid racquet but without the dampner it was only a little better than the Wilson for me. I will try this one out again tomorrow and take the dampner from the Prince or Wilson and put it on it.

The Prince was the clear winner for me, I love this thing. Perfect forehands, backhands are a little worse (but mostly due to my rust). The ground strokes were dead on, serves were purely amazing. It was the lightest out of them all, yet still about 1.5-2 times the weight of the Hyper Hammer which I did enjoy. I think this is the best all round racquet out of the mix.

I did take the Hyper Hammer with me and included it in the tests and thought it did really miserably but 1. I might be biased and 2. the strings on it are about 1 year old.

I really, really wanted to test out the Head Liquid Metal Radical - the shop had 2 demos of them - one had busted strings, the other was checked out by someone 15 minutes before I came.

I don't know if I'll have time tomorrow for more tests as I have an exam on Wednesday I have to study for but I really enjoyed testing these racquests. This is really the first time I did through tests on racquets before jumping in and buying one...

Before I buy anything I want to test out at least 3 more racquets of which I'm really interested in the performance of the Liquidmetal...

czech09
01-23-2006, 10:14 PM
I'll look into the Babolat. So far I definetly want to test the Liquidmetal and maybe one of the Babolats...anything else to suggest?

Thanks again.

czech09
01-24-2006, 10:18 AM
Need a few more suggestions :)...

Marius_Hancu
01-24-2006, 10:33 AM
FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

czech09
01-24-2006, 10:42 AM
FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

Thanks, you could probably give me better suggestions. I'm a USTA 3.5-4.0 player, two handed backhand, all-round player. Any ideas out of the ones that you have there which ones would be the best? I think I went a bit overboard by trying out the nSix-One Tour and the Yonex felt off as well(I'll go test it again in about an hour to make sure). I tried to pm you but you have it disabled. Thanks in advance.

Marius_Hancu
01-24-2006, 11:02 AM
I would demo Volkl 10 V-Engine Mid (great topspin, couldn't hit long with it, great volleys) and MP and Dunlop M-fil 300 (very versatile, lighter) and M-fil 200 (heavier).

All offer outstanding control on all the shots and moderate power.

Also PK Redondo.

str33t
01-24-2006, 03:48 PM
so hows the racquet selection going? find anything you like?

czech09
01-24-2006, 04:24 PM
so hows the racquet selection going? find anything you like?

Just got back from the (tennis) shop an hour ago. As I mentioned I liked the Prince Diablo Tour. If the rest fail I'm getting that one. However I just picked up the Head Liquid Metal Radical, the Prince O3 tour, the Dunlop M-Fil 300 and the Babolat Aeropro Drive (suggested by pro at the shop). So tonight will be the last day of testing hopefully one will dominate the rest and I'll end up going for it. I'll post again in a few hours on the results.

czech09
01-25-2006, 09:27 AM
I might go out for one more test this afternoon but as of right now this is what I concluded about the racquets.

Prince O3 Tour: Not a bad racquet, very balanced and consistent. Nice on the serves, not so much on the slices.

Head LM Radical: This was my favorite racquet out of them in this DEMO shootout. Very well balanced, amazing in terms of serving and probably 2nd out of these with the slices.

Babolat Aeropro Drive: This would probalby tie the Prince for 2nd place. This racquet has a nice feel to it. It'd probably tie the LM in that category. This wins the slice category - this thing is amazing with them. However, I found it a bit stiff on both forehands and backhands.

Dunlop M-Fil 300: Well either it was strung poorly or I don't know, this racquet placed dead last for me. Everytime I hit with this thing it was long. When I thought I had gotten used to it I'd suprise me again (in an unpleasant way). Slicing was average a little worse than the LM. I did let my partner borrow it and that was his favorite one. He's actually trying to convince me to go hit again today so that he can borrow it lol. Guess it's not the racquet for me...

So right now it's going to come down to the Prince Diablo Tour and the Head Liquid Metal Radical. I might do a head to head test but I'm leaning more towards the Prince as I think I liked its heavier feel a bit more than that of the Head. I was also able to hit quite a few winners with the Prince on a very good player (probably about 1.0 USTA pts higher than me). I couldn't test the Head out with him so I couldn't tell how it'd perform at that level but I think I do need to concentrate on my playing level more than someone alot better than me at the moment. Thanks for the help I think I'm pretty much set.

str33t
01-25-2006, 02:15 PM
hehe told you the head was sweet.

czech09
01-25-2006, 02:16 PM
hehe told you the head was sweet.

Lol yeah I just bought it from someone on these forums hehe. I'll probably buy the Prince as well if I see it for a good price. The Head was $45 shipped, strung with nice strings and was in 8.5/10 condition - couldn't pass up that deal. Time to sell the Hyper Hammer...

str33t
01-25-2006, 03:01 PM
oo good deal. i think i saw the post about the guy trying to sell his lm. i think it was the same person that you bought it from. good luck selling your hyper hammer!