PDA

View Full Version : Gaudio's racket, is it really HPS 6.1?

Fish wang
06-07-2004, 06:40 PM
From the finalist game in French open, Gaudio can control the ball perfectly. It makes me think the racket is a softer one. Or, perfect technology(consistently hit sweet spot) + stiff racket like HPS6.1 + ?? string can also generate that good control ? ?

Moreover, I don't know anything about natural gut. Does natural gut, not anything else, make that sound when Gaudio hit the ball? Not crisp nor sharp.

Swan Song
06-07-2004, 08:12 PM
According to the image, it is a HPS 6.1 Stretch. It is strung with Toalson Ultimate Polyester 130(according to Toalson's website). Toalson also states that he is also using their Cyber Nylon Thermaxe(probably a Luxilon clone). He was previously using a Kirschbaum SSH.
FYI: Natural gut is softer and it will not make that dead sound and it has much better playability(obviously). It will last long if you take care of it well(free from moisture and dust) and use string savers.

James Brown
06-08-2004, 08:24 AM
check *********, do a search for gaudio, some guy is selling his broken racquet for $15 :>

George
06-08-2004, 10:44 AM
I checked the string pattern of Gaudio's HPS 6.1 it has a string pattern of 18X20. When I checked the string pattern of the HPS 6.1 on the Tenniswarehouse site it is 16x20. Strange!!!

George
06-08-2004, 10:46 AM
Sorry, the Tenniswarehouse has it 16X18

Greg
06-08-2004, 01:46 PM
The stretch has a 18X20 pattern.

Steve F.
06-08-2004, 02:55 PM
In europe and south america, wilson sells the 6.1 as an 18x20 frame, as they did/do with the PSC. Been that way for awhile, for whatever reason, they did the same with the 6.5, I'm sure there are other Wilson frames sold that way. The PSC/HPS 16x18 pattern is sold in the US. Just because Gaudio's frame is 18x20 doesn't mean it's a stretch. esp as the HPS stretch has (I believe) a stabilizing crossbar.

kreative
06-08-2004, 04:17 PM
it doesn't have a crossbar, and there are some images where it says "midplus stretch" at the throat. thou it could be a paintjob, but then why not just say midplus? if it's a paintjob indeed, then it's probably the classic 6.1 stretch (which is also 18x20 string pattern)

aceindahole2K5
06-08-2004, 09:18 PM
i believe the mold to the classic 6.1 stretch was bought by dunlop/slaz, and the PWS were eliminated which is the frame of most of their 300G players.......just something i remember reading on here

George
06-09-2004, 09:19 AM
It would be curious if they will do the same with the NCode series.
Sell a 18X20 only in South America and Europe. Why wouldn't they
make the 18X20 available in North America, is that a silly question

BreakPoint
06-09-2004, 10:35 AM
It would be curious if they will do the same with the NCode series.
Sell a 18X20 only in South America and Europe. Why wouldn't they
make the 18X20 available in North America, is that a silly question

It's the same reason why Wilson introduces the nCode racquets in Japan first, only sells the lighter Tour 90 in Asia, the HPS 6.0 95 in Europe, and some 18x20 versions of their racquets only outside the U.S. They just don't think we Americans, even though we're the largest tennis market in the world, deserve it!!!

It's like, how come you can buy a BMW 3-series in Asia or Europe with like 8 different engine choices and like 30 different color choices, but here in the U.S. we only get 2 engines and only like 8 colors? Same for VWs and Audis, even though we're the largest car market in the world?

They must think we're all clones and hate variety or something.
:? :shock: :cry:

@wright
06-09-2004, 10:41 AM
I talked with Gaudio's childhood friend's uncle's niece's penpal, and he said Gaudio is playing with a painted Snaewurt Ergonom, just like Agassi.

George
06-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Perhaps they have done market studies to justify their
marketing strategy. Maybe they haven't receive enough
request from the American market. There should be a petition
or Tennis Warehouse could make suggestions. It is about money
if they know there is a demand for the 18X20 in North America
I would think they would carry them here.

Remember the story of BMW changing their model from 328 and their
sales drop in Hong Kong because the Chinese love the number 8.

Lefty Spin
06-09-2004, 10:51 AM
A friend of mine works for Wilson here in the Chicago area and this is what I am told regarding the racquet. Gaudio uses the HPS 6.1 stretch which has the 18x20 string pattern. The same racquet is also used by Canas and a couple of the other South Americans. The stretch version was actually available in the United States when Wilson first introduced the HPS 6.1. Wilson actually stopped selling this version of the racquet worldwide. Many players in the larger U.S. and Japanese markets simply preferred the standard length version better. From personal experience, I can attest to the heavier swingweight of the stretch. The standard length is also better at net. Wilson still produces some of the racquets for its pros and high ranking juniors but not for general sale to the public.

tarheelbornjohn
06-16-2004, 04:50 AM
I played with the HPS 6.1 stretch. I liked it alot for serves and groundstrokes. Added length cost me at the net. I am playing on several USTA teams and playing more doubles, so I changed to the Prestige MP. I can see how some of these baseliners like the stick. For groundstrokes and serves I liked it more than the regular 6.1. I still carry two in my bag for times when I am playing singles and am banging it out from the baseline and need more pop to my serve.

Truedge
06-16-2004, 06:03 PM
The stabilizing crossbar is a feature on the oversize version of the HPS 6.1..

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
06-16-2004, 07:01 PM
My coach has an HPS 6.1 stretch with the 18x20 pattern and it says TEST RACKET in the hoop. It's weird, and I've never used it before.

Swan Song
06-16-2004, 09:08 PM
I think your coach bought a demo of the HPS 6.1 PCMD. Wilson's demo racquets usually have a red bumper guard or the word "T.E.S.T" on it.

kooyah
06-16-2004, 09:58 PM
From the finalist game in French open, Gaudio can control the ball perfectly. It makes me think the racket is a softer one. Or, perfect technology(consistently hit sweet spot) + stiff racket like HPS6.1 + ?? string can also generate that good control ? ?

It's not the racquet. It's SKILL.