PDA

View Full Version : Do People Have There Strings At Different Tensions

GregLynch
01-23-2006, 12:16 AM
Do people have there cross and main strings strung at different tension im curious because ive never seen it before

rilokiley
01-23-2006, 12:27 AM
I've done it before with my Wilson rollers. I think I had my cross strung about 3 lbs tighter.

Sixpointone
01-23-2006, 03:32 AM
I myself have my Racquet Strung all at one Tension.

Having said that it is very common to have the Mains and Crosses Strung at different Tensions, especially when one has their Stick Strung with a Hybrid.

GregLynch
01-23-2006, 03:44 AM
yeh well here in australia i find it isnt common but what are its effects

Masamusou
01-23-2006, 06:21 AM
Some people will claim that it's able to reduce string movement or provide more spin or some similar claim. I don't notice any difference in these, but I do notice a slightly different feel. Depending on what set-up I'm using at the time, I usually increase or decrease the tension on the crosses 2 or 3 pounds. If I'm using poly in the crosses I decrease the cross tension a few pounds, if I'm using another synthetic I'll usually increase the tension. Since I've been stringing I've only had a few people ask for different tensions on the mains and crosses, but there has been more people that just hand the racquet to me and say, "string it at whatever." It's surprising how little most players know about strings sometimes.

Kevo
01-23-2006, 11:34 AM
I usually string my crosses lower with non-hybrids in my Yonex frame due to the head shape. However, I sometimes string the crosses up a couple of pounds on hybrids with poly or kevlar in the mains.

backcourt
01-23-2006, 12:32 PM
I string the crosses on my Yonexes a couple of pounds looser than the mains in an all multi string job. If you do a search you'll find disscussions on this topic. Frankly, I am not sure if it makes a noticeable difference to me in playability, not unlike the two piece stringjob v. one piece that Yonex recomends. But figure i'll go with the Manufacturers recomendations and hopefully my frames will last longer.