PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with hitting slice with my Head Classic mid.

djones
01-23-2006, 02:11 AM
I like my Head Classic mid in almost every way, especially for its feel and great serving capabilities.
But I just cannot hit a very good penetrating slice backhand with it.
It's nearly 1.6 years since I play with this racquet but I'm still not able to get the ball penetrating deep enough in the court with good slice.

When I do hit it good, it still doesn't have enough power, but when I try to get a little more swing behind the sliceshot, it ofton floates meters passed the baseline!

I also have a POG, I don't like this racquet at all, but I recently found out, how easy it was to hit a very good sliced backhand with this racquet.

Would the dense string pattern be the problem, or my technique?

kabob
01-23-2006, 03:52 AM
Probably a combination of both. Many players make the mistake of thinking that for slice you hit underneath the ball. Actually, you want to aim for the back of the ball with a slight angle towards the bottom. Swing with a full high-to-mid motion, sort of like making a smiley face in the air with your racquet. Make sure also to keep your wrist firm (shouldn't move at all). You should be good to go with those instructions :)

jackson vile
01-23-2006, 09:34 AM
kabob is right, I have not been playing tennis long and was never "learned":mrgreen:

So I was not ruined, this is what I naturally did, but I really just rip it down so that when the ball goes into the other court it has almost no bounce. Hit forward with head pointing around 45 degree up and then rip it down

But you can only do this if the ball is high, other wise you do have to slice the ball underneeth, but you don't want to just brush/ move the racket forward, you want to move the racket forward and then really rip it to the finishing right side.

It is a whole lot easier to do with a flexy racket and/or lower string tension, as you get better you will be able to do the same with a stiffer frame and tension.