PDA

View Full Version : My 1st experience (sour and sweet) with nat. gut.

Ripper
01-23-2006, 10:19 AM
I Purchased a set of Babolat Tonic+ Natural Gut 15L. Instructed my stringer to install it at 63 pounds on one of my O3 Tours (I know they're not supposed to last on that frame, but I just wanted to, finally, test gut on something I'm very familiar with and that's the O3 Tour). Mains went in ok at the requested 63 pounds. Nevertheless, the crosses snapped during the stringing process. Since my stringer had a half set of VS Team 17, he installed these on the crosses (at no extra charge), but at only 59 pounds.

I have to say that nat. gut, completely, blew me away. Someone on this forum once described hitting with nat. gut as "controlled power". Eventhough the crosses were 4 pounds less than what I wanted and of a thinner gauge, "controlled power" was exactly what I felt. If I want to spin the ball at a couple of feet above the net, no problem. If I want to smack it flat at a couple of inches above the net, no problem. The ball will go where I want and how I want. You get comfort, control and power, all in one string!

So, now, I have a HUGE problem. Nobody else strings with nat. gut where I live. I believe my stringer is the most competent stringer around (if you're asking yourself, he does have a very good machine; one of those expensive new Babolats). I'm asking him to string one of my RDX500MPs with VS Team 17 at 63 pounds all around and he says it's not possible. I'm telling him that Sampras used to have this exact same string tensioned at 75 pounds and he's asking me to get him the info. on how to do this.

I'm getting him all the info. I can on how to, safely, string gut, but I'm not sure what to expect. What do you think? I'm sure that if he really puts an effort into learning, he'll get the hang of it, but how much is this going to cost me (because I don't think he's going to want to keep paying for broken strings)????? Or should I forget I ever tested it and go on with my life with the lesser feel of synthetics?????

Edit: The other alternative is to let him string it at 59 pounds, with which he, apparently, feels comfortable. But, then, I wouldn't be getting the full control potential out of it :confused:

Jonnyf
01-23-2006, 10:29 AM
on NG i find 59 to be REALLY controlled man ive only had one all gut stringjob but might go all out again

Kevo
01-23-2006, 12:30 PM
I've never tried 17 gauge vs team, but I've strung 16 gauge klip and bde gut at up to 65 pounds and haven't had any trouble. I'm sure I've seen others on this board post that they have used the 17g at upwards of 60lbs, so I don't think their should be a problem with the gut. Now the 03 is a bit of a unique frame, and I've never strung one, so maybe they are particularly hard on gut.

Radical Shot
01-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Ripper,

Now is the time to invest in a stringing machine and do it yourself. You're obviously very serious about tennis, and enjoy the expensive natural gut, so it's time. You'll save money in the long run, and if it doesn't work out, sell the machine and get your money back.

Now that you've had a taste of how good a string job can be, you'll be very discerning whenever you get a non-gut job. Being able to string it yourself will bridge the gap between the performance gap in non-natural gut strings and the your satisfaction with whatever string you go with.

With your own stringing machine you can discover the world of hybrids, different tensions, different stringing patterns, and different strings, all at your leisure and doing. It really adds another element to your enjoyment of tennis. It does for me...