PDA

View Full Version : Racquet for big serve

TwistServe
06-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Do you want a lighter or heavier racquet to increase pace and spin on serves. Common sense says ligher racquet will allow you to have more racquet head speed, but the extra weight on the heavier club should also give power?

Also how does frame stiffness play on racquet head speed? STiff = power? but doesnt a flexible frame act like a sling shot thereby giving more power as well?

ragnaROK
06-07-2004, 10:02 PM
No you'd have to generate more head speed in order to put the weight of the heavier racket to use.

I remember once when I used like a Head TI S1 or something for fun. It felt like was blasting bullets at 120 mph. Man I wish I could have a serving racket for play, and then switch for something else as I finish the serve. I couldn't keep a groundstroke in with that thing to save my life.

Coda
06-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Well usually you want a heavy duty player's racket to serve with in my opinion, i.e. heavy, smaller head. You're right that you can get more head speed with a lighter racket and you can get more mass with a heavier racket, but with a heavier racket you can work at get the same head speed. I have hit the biggest serves with Prostaffs, and some big serves with Pure Drives, but the effectiveness of my serve is always higher with a prostaff. Player's rackets also provide more control and that always helps with serves.

Stiffness is a little trickier to figure out. The stiffer a racket is, the more power it has because less energy from the ball is absorbed bending the racket back and thus, more energy is retained in the ball. A flexier racket bends back farther, but the racket doesn't fling forward fast enough to slingshot the ball. Strings on the other hand can fling forward fast enough to rocket the ball faster. So you want looser strings, maximum power, large head for maximum power. A larger head means the ball has more leverage on the strings.

tetsuo10
06-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Lighter racquets help with the serve. Energy increases exponentially with velocity. Plus, since you are simply tossing the ball, you can swing as fast as you can and not worry about timing.

However, the trouble then comes with the groundies, where a heavier racquet helps with heavy pace. And in general, most take controlled swings, rather than trying to swing the racquet as fast as they can.

sandro
06-08-2004, 12:31 AM
As usual, it depends a lot on the players ability. Personally, I got my fastest serves with a Prestige, and the ones with best spin using a Pure Drive, so...

Tomek
06-08-2004, 12:37 AM
prestige mids are very good for serving-especially i.prestige

Steve Huff
06-08-2004, 03:32 AM
To increase racket head speed also, the longer the rackets will usually generate the most. The weight should be the highest weight possible that you can swing without dropping the velocity of the head. This would be different for each person. Also, concerning length, it's the distance from the hand that the ball makes contact. So, a super oversized racket that's 29" long may not be the fastest serving because the sweetspot in it may be nearer the handle than a smaller headed racket that's say 28 or 28.5" long. Using this as a guideline, I'd think the old Prince ThunderBolt MP would be one of the hardest serving rackets if you were strong enough to generate the same racket head speed as you could with a shorter, lighter racket.

NoBadMojo
06-08-2004, 05:58 AM
IMO headlight makes the best serving frames. headlight for racquethead speed and overall weight for heaviness on the serve. the more headlight and the more overall weight the better for serving. and flexy for placement. i dont think longer racquets serve w. more power..i think they gve you the opportunity for more angles. my .o2. ed

K. Wilson Moose
06-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Best serving frames that I have used are the Prince CTS Approach 90, Wilson PS 6.0 85, and the Prince CTS Synergy DB 24. The original Chang OS was good as well, great for the big sweeper. Haven't found any of the current frames that come close to these.

Believe it or not, the old Prince CTS Synergy DB 24, although it is extremely low powered, is probably the best serving frame that I have ever used.

All of these frames were headlight and relatively flexible. Even the Approach 90 with the CTS was flexible in the throat.

tschevap
06-08-2004, 10:34 PM
200g MW and HM

aceindahole2K5
06-09-2004, 01:56 PM
HPS 6.1, 6.0 85, PD/Surge and clones, i prestige mid top my list, Surge hits best flat bombs, 6.0 hits heaviest ball, 6.1 has a nice mix

pchoi04
06-09-2004, 02:37 PM
I think the pure drive team plus is a good serving racquet because of the extra length you can get more leverage.

El Diablo
06-09-2004, 02:44 PM
I'm with pchoi04 on this...I'm not ordinarily a real heavy server but when I tried the PD+ a few years ago, I uncharacteristically served huge.

ragnaROK
06-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Yeah I hit some huge serves with the Pro Drives and also the Pure Control MPs too.

raven5288
06-09-2004, 05:47 PM
the LM prestige gave me the serve I wanted. BIG and controlled. It's quite possibly the best one I've served with.

TwistServe
06-09-2004, 06:43 PM
I just traded my 2 LM Radicals for 2 LM Prestiges.. Feels pretty solid

Bo
06-11-2004, 05:36 AM
Prostaff 6.6 with lead tape at 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock position and Yamaha Secret 04 L4 - yes, they are heavy (above 360 grams) but give you tons of power in your serve and ground stroke.

Ronaldo
06-11-2004, 06:27 AM
Bo, those old wide-bodies were awesome for serving. Especially the Wilson Profile 2.7. I couldn't control it but the Profile really added MPH to the serve for those that needed it.
Stiff, powerful, and heavy is the ticket.

coach
06-11-2004, 08:42 AM
a "big serve" implies raw speed. I play doubles wih a guy who serves both first and second over 100mph... he's a 4.5 player, and yes, he double faults routinely 1-3 times a GAME! Power in serving is important but having DIFFERENT serves, placement and spin get the job done more often then brute force, unless your serve is Roddickesque.

NoBadMojo
06-11-2004, 08:55 AM
a big serve implies more than raw speed. it implies weight as well. if you have a fast heavy serve, then you really do have a big serve. my .02. me thinks the double faulter needs lessons. would also suggest that if he double faults 1-3 times a game, he really isnt a 4.5 ed

Kick Serve
06-11-2004, 11:06 AM
Take the stiffest, headlight, heaviest racquet you can find and you'll be serving bombs in no time. The only problem is keeping all of your other shots from spraying, not to mention the added arm fatigue and stress on your rotator cuff.

tarheelbornjohn
06-11-2004, 11:25 AM
Control with good power LM Prestige, pure power HPS 6.1 stretch.

David Pavlich
06-11-2004, 06:34 PM
I've posted this before, so if you've seen it, I apologize.

I had a radar gun in my shop at one time and did a little experiment. Keep in mind that this is very unscientific as I'm a 52 year old hacker, but it proved something to me.

I hit my fastest serves with a Babolat Pure Control and a Babolat Pure Drive with about 4/10 of an ounce of lead tape (112 mph).

I attempted to match that velocity with a Volkl Cat 1, Head iX16, Dunlop 700G and a Triad 3.0. The closest was the Cat 1 at 109 mph.

Does it prove anything? For me, it did. However, someone else may get just the opposite results. FYI, the record for my shop is 132 mph struck with a Dunlop 200G freshly strung with Gamma TNT 16 at 60 lbs.

David

Coda
06-11-2004, 06:59 PM
got some 110 MPH serves with a 13 oz PS 6.0 85

redpurusha
06-12-2004, 07:36 AM
If you guys drove as fast as you serve, you'd all have your licenses revoked.

ragnaROK
06-12-2004, 10:35 AM
hit up to 120 mph once with a Bab PC

Ronaldo
06-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Bab PC is a modern version of a wide-body with that pop off the strings.

ps 6.0
06-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Me personally, the Pro Staff 6.0 95 is my most comfortable serving racket, i can serve bombs with it, another racket that i love to serve with my Yonnie MP Tour-1 90. Heavy balls, not as fast as the Staff, but the serves feel great. My record with my staff is 117, record with my Yonnie was 112. So i guess what i found works for me is find a racket that has the highest swingweight that you can handle and feel comfortable with and highest static weight and let it fly. once you get your timing down, move down to a smaller head size. Tried out the PD Team, never got gunned, but it just didnt feel as sweet. It felt cumbersome to me. Just what's worked for me.

aceindahole2K5
06-12-2004, 07:54 PM
record=124 with a surge, average match style first serve=110ish with HPS 6.1, slightly lower with ROK, HPS record=119, ROK record=117

Big D
06-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Force = Mass x Acceleration. Keep that simple equation in mind. The longer the racquet, the greater the acceleration at the tip of the racquet.

BreakPoint
06-12-2004, 10:42 PM
I tend to serve bigger bombs with heavier racquets than with lighter racquets, even when the lighter racquets are stiffer. I think the weight of the racquet has a lot to do with it and can compensate for a slightly slower racquet head speed. For instance, I can serve bigger bombs and with more angle with a PS 6.0 85 than with my usual PS 6.0 95. I attribute that to the higher swingweight (and static weight), and the smaller head which makes the hoop stiffer and allows me to snap my wrist better. :)

K!ck5w3rvE
06-13-2004, 09:15 PM
heavier = more power
lighter = more spin

redpurusha
06-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Danel, is that you in the photo? and you just found out you saved some money on car insurance?

Russiadude
06-16-2004, 01:19 PM
In the heavy area I'd say the HPS 6.1 is a really big server because of its pure mass and stiffness. For the light category I would say the Pure Drive Xylon is huge. It is really head heavy really light and really stable. Awesome for serving and otherwise. For all the people that can't handle really heavy rackets I'd definitely reccomend the Pure Drive Xylon.