PDA

View Full Version : So many racquet possibilities...Which one?

bamboo711
01-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Hello Guys,
I am looking for a racquet that will fit me. I am not extremely muscular and such and thus can't hit very hard with 11.5 or above really. I have question first of all, I have a Wilson nTour 95 while my friend has a Liquidmetal Prestige Midplus. I compared racquets and mine feals a lot heavier then his even though it's not supposed to be. Does the weight affect the swingweight or what? Here is around what I want.
95-102 inch head
Pretty Flexible
Weight: 10- 11.5 (Are the racquets like the Shark DB still solid even
though they're 10.4?)

I still want a players racquet though. What do you guys thing of the FXP Radical (Is it sort of a players racuqet)? What about the upcoming Prestiges and what about the upcoming Prince o3 Hornet.

BTW what is the headsize of the new flexpoint prestige xl?

Thanks!

vkartikv
01-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Try Prokennex's lineup - the ionic KI5 or 5G or rod laver type S. Best for arm trouble and not too heavy.

Marius_Hancu
01-23-2006, 03:46 PM
FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

bamboo711
01-23-2006, 07:23 PM
I am thinking of buying a Vantage racquet. Are these racquets good?
Here are the specs I'm thinking
100 inch head
10.6 ounzes unstrung
4 or 6 points headlight???? what does it matter????
27.5 length of racquet.
Would that racquet be powerful/arm friendly? Also, what would the swingweight be around.

Thanks!

Donnie Darko
01-23-2006, 07:39 PM
and what about the upcoming Prince o3 Hornet.

Definitely hit with it before you buy it. I know three people who have hit with it and none of them liked it. They all three play with Prince racquets (O3Tour, O3 Red, Shark MP) and they didn't like the new Hornet hybrid at all.

They all did like the O3 White a lot, but want to hit with it more before making up their minds for sure.

bamboo711
01-23-2006, 08:00 PM
I used to hit with a Volkl Tour 8 V-Engine and once tried the Volkl Catapault 8 v-engine. Are there any racquets similar to that weight (11 oz) and with the extended head?

Jalapeno2006
01-23-2006, 08:32 PM
You said it quick and never came back to it. The Head LM Radical is a great racquet. You don't need to get a flexpoint. I own a LM radical and am finding that there are no adjustments needed. If you have a longer stroke, demo it. Or... just check out the Reviews here. I think it scored higher than any other stick from any brand. 83!

boxingguy
01-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Hello Guys,
I am looking for a racquet that will fit me. I am not extremely muscular and such and thus can't hit very hard with 11.5 or above really. I have question first of all, I have a Wilson nTour 95 while my friend has a Liquidmetal Prestige Midplus. I compared racquets and mine feals a lot heavier then his even though it's not supposed to be.

According to TW, your ntour 95 weighs 10.7 oz while the lm prestige mp weighs 11.9 oz. Your ntour 95 feels heavier because it is even balanced (swingweight 330), while the lm prestige mp is 8 pts head light (swingweight 325).

Heavier and head light is better. Why swing a less massive racquet that feels heavy when you can swing a more massive racquet that feels light?

Even a 12 oz racquet will feel lighter than your ntour 95 if it is very head light. The Fischer Pro Number One weighs 12 oz, but at 9 pts head light (swingweight 311) will feel lighter than your 10.7 oz ntour 95.

If you have a lot of time on your hands, buy a cheap racquet in the 10-10.5 oz range with the head size and flex you want, and experiment with weights at the butt and top of the frame. See TW's Learning Center "Customize a Racquet". Weight it up to 12-12.5 oz, and make it very head light, at least 8 pts. and as much as 20 pts. I think you'll find you can comfortably swing a very massive racquet if it's very head light.

I'm 5'9', 145 lbs, and bench around 25 lbs. Both of my arms could easily fit inside one of Nadal's arms. My racquet weighs about 12.5 oz. :)

Bogie
01-23-2006, 11:40 PM
personally i would suggest, from what u mentioned above, either the dunlop mfil 300, the flexpoint instinct, or the shark db. all are players racquets as well like u requested (youzhny, ferrer, etc.)

BaseLineBash
01-23-2006, 11:41 PM
If you're a baseliner do yourself a favor and get around a 12oz. head light racquet, serve and volleyer get around a 12oz. even to head heavy.

bamboo711
01-24-2006, 04:56 AM
Alright I think I understand the racquets better now. I am a baseline player and pretty much stay there all the time so I need a headlight racquet right? Why would the racquet weight matter then if the ultimate deciding factor is the swingweight? Is it just for making the racquet stable or what?

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Marius_Hancu
01-24-2006, 05:06 AM
I am thinking of buying a Vantage racquet. Are these racquets good?

how about searching for one of the many Vantage threads and posting there?

boxingguy
01-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Why would the racquet weight matter then if the ultimate deciding factor is the swingweight?

The "ultimate deciding factor" is not the swingweight. Get that out of your head. The only "ultimate deciding factor" is how you like playing with the racquet.

Heavier (more "massive") is better. Remember from your junior high physics Force=mass x acceleration. With the same swing (acceleration), a more massive racquet is going to result in more force.
From the TW learning center: "a heavy racquet is more powerful, more stable and transmits less shock than a lighter racquet (all other things being equal)"

Take two racquets of equal weight (mass), say 12 oz. One is head heavy and one is head light. The one that is head heavy will feel harder to swing (accelerate) than the one that is head light, even though they both weigh 12 oz. The head light one is better, because it's easier to swing (accerlerate).

Use the the heaviest racquet you can swing (accelerate) comfortably. It will be a heavy (more than 11.5 oz) head light racquet.:)