PDA

View Full Version : volkl dnx8 vs cat 8 ve

kreative
01-23-2006, 03:09 PM
can anyone who's played w/ both frames comment on them in terms of comfort, power, spin, control, manueverability, feel, etc? TIA

NoBadMojo
01-23-2006, 03:59 PM
These two frames are so dissimilar that making a comparison wouldnt be fair...they really are way different frames in most respects

drak
01-23-2006, 06:05 PM
thoughts and currently play with the Cat8 ve, I would appreciate if you could elaborate on the differences, given that I think you feel they are so vast. Is it way more powerful that the Cat 8 VE? Thx

Drak

kreative
01-23-2006, 10:42 PM
These two frames are so dissimilar that making a comparison wouldnt be fair...they really are way different frames in most respects

mojo, are they that dissimilar? from what i've read, they've both been compared to the pd. the cat 8 ve is said to be a more comfortable and controllable pd. the dnx 8 is also compared to the pd as being a more comfortable frame. so are they really that different that they can't be compared? just looking for honest input, and if so, please state how they're different. much appreciated.

NoBadMojo
01-24-2006, 05:22 AM
aye guys. i think they are very dissimilar. one is very soft and the other very firm. one is pretty powerful and the other pretty low powered. with the Cat8VE you get the feeling you are playing with an old school flexy make your own power frame which is a lot easier to swing fast and a lot harder to miss hit. with the DNX8 you get the feeling you are swinging a modern impact frame. Not as much in the feel dept as the Cat8VE, but a lot more than the PD and none of those issues of having to string tightly to get some control like you do with the PD Woofers. The Cat8VE is nowhere close to being similar to the PD. The DNX is like what the PD should have been.

drak
01-24-2006, 06:07 AM
that is about what I thought - especially the power level of the DNX8 being greater than the Cat8 VE. I have bought a DNX 8 and will be very interested to test them against my Cat8 VE's, especially in the power-volley-serve area. I like the Cat8 VE's and will likely keep them no matter what, but at times I feel it is underpowered on serves and groundies (against big hitters I run into trouble) and want to see if the DNX might give me the extra pop while still maintaining good volleys (Cat8 VE is a magnificant volleying frame). If I like the DNX8 and it gives me extra pop I may keep both rackets in the bag for different occasions and opponents. I'll let you know my impressions of the DNX 8 after I get it tomorrow.

Drak

kreative
01-24-2006, 06:37 AM
mojo, thx for your comments. are you sticking w/ the dnx 8 or going back to your t10's?

drak, look forward to your comments between the 2 frames.

drak
01-24-2006, 06:46 AM
I'll be playing a lot of tennis from Thursday-Sunday, with a mixed dubs calcutta on the weekend. The racket comes tomorrow and I'll string it up and by the end of the weekend I'll should have played a good bit of singles and dubs with it. I'll let you know.

Drak

NoBadMojo
01-24-2006, 06:46 AM
kreative, i really havent switched....i rarely switch. i've been using the t10gen1's for at least 3 years i think. i've been fooling around with and teaching with the dnx8...thats what i do with a new frame i am interested in, while i keep playing what i have for serious play. it took me 3-4 months to learn to use the Gen1's...i'm just not good enough to switch often and i need the little nuances and advantages that having all the shots and angles can bring...you get this from a frame that you have used for a while i think.

mary fierce
01-24-2006, 06:53 AM
Cat 8 "a more comfortable and controllable PD"?? Just goes to show what being raised to icon status does -- everything else is compared to it. Having tried the Cat 8 VE it's difficult for me to imagine it being compared to the PD in terms of how it plays.

drak
01-24-2006, 07:06 AM
vast differences in the frames you mentioned do a side by side comparison, - it is not enough (for those of us interested in a comparison) to say they are "vastly different".

Compare and contrast the following

Serve:
Volley:
Groundstrokes:
Spin potential:
Feel:
Power level:
how solid they feel:

Mojo, please give us the DNX8 vs the Cat 8VE and the Bab PD if you can. Thx for you previous comparison but it is way too general (for my old brain anyway - lol) to get a good idea exactly what you mean.

Mary, how about a Cat 8VE vs Babs and if you have hit with the DNX8 throw that in a well.

Thx guys

Drak

cruzersi99
01-24-2006, 07:07 AM
Which 10 models are now discountinued?

ModernTennis
01-24-2006, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=drak]vast differences in the frames you mentioned do a side by side comparison, - it is not enough (for those of us interested in a comparison) to say they are "vastly different".

Compare and contrast the following

Serve:
Volley:
Groundstrokes:
Spin potential:
Feel:
Power level:
how solid they feel:

I'll throw in my two cents. I'm a male middle-aged 3.5 player who plays mostly singles and I started a few years ago with the PD. I recently demoed a bunch of frames because I wanted to get a slightly longer frame to accentuate my best shot, the serve. I settled on the Yonex Nano Speed MP RQ 7.
The PD serves way better than the Cat8 VE - harder and more slice and kick on demand.
I strung the PD w/PSGDuraflex 16 @60 and never had volleys fly on me. The Cat did though. It seemed to have a really variable string bed. The PD was not good for touch volleys, but neither was the Cat.
The PD is a great groundsroke racquet - you can crush the ball or block it back if you're on the defense. The Cat often hit short, even with a full swing. It didn't have the plow-through a racquet like any Wilson 6.1 has.
The PD produces spin on demand - biting slices, big topspin. You have to spin the Volkl for control, but it doesn't produce as heavy a ball.
The Volkl is a pillow-soft frame. It is very comfortable. I never had arm problems with the Babolat, but it is a crisp feeling frame. BTW, the only discomfort I've ever felt after all the demoing was after hitting the Gen1 Volkl Cat 4 - my wrist hurt like hell for a week and no, it wasn't strung w/poly or Kevlar.
The PD has lots more power. The Volkl feels like many light, flexy frames - underpowered.
The PD is way more resistant to twisting - if you're up against a big server w/the 8VE you're in for a lot of unpleasant turning in your hand.
Haven't tried the DNX 8, and probably won't - I'm happy w/the RQ7, and I don't need an identical back-up frame; I can use the PD for that.

jayserinos99
01-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Which 10 models are now discountinued?
tour 10 gen1 mid and midplus
c10 pro tour
c10 extended

am i missing any more?