PDA

View Full Version : Headlight & Headheavy?

burgerks
01-23-2006, 04:32 PM
Okay this might seem off the wall, but there are some crazy gimmic out there. so here is what I was thinking. What if there was a to fill the inside with some sort of fuild. (Not completely) My thinking was that in ready position (and possibly on volleys) the fluid would be in the handle and thus making the racquet head light, and when swinging on a serve or groundstrokes the fluid would be pushed to the head of the racquet and give it a higher swing weight. Why you ask? Maybe you would have some benefits of both head lightness and head heaviness.
Just some random thoughts...
what do you think?

sureshs
01-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Tennis rules forbid use of "moving parts" in a racquet. The Babolat woofers were the closest to be approved.

sureshs
01-23-2006, 04:48 PM
But wait a minute - I stand corrected - the Prokennex Ki models have sand/some other particles inside the head to absorb the shock which obviously move around.

Ronaldo
01-23-2006, 04:58 PM
The frame, including the handle, and the strings, shall be free of any device which makes it possible to change materially the shape of the racket, or to change the weight distribution in the direction of the longitudinal axis of the racket which would alter the swing moment of inertia, or to change deliberately any physical property which may affect the performance of the racket during the playing of a point. No energy source that in any way changes or affects the playing characteristics of a racket may be built into or attached to a racket.

nViATi
01-23-2006, 04:58 PM
I think the rule is about moving things that affect balance. The Ki stuff is all in a small area in the head.

sureshs
01-23-2006, 05:09 PM
I think the rule is about moving things that affect balance. The Ki stuff is all in a small area in the head.

"or to change deliberately any physical property which may affect the performance of the racket during the playing of a point."

The granules are all over the head. Prokennex claims that during the backswing, the particles store energy and then release it during contact. This increase in power compensates for the dampening caused by the particles, which reduces tennis elbow. So they are changing the physical property but I guess it is minor and not an infraction.

Fluid moving around would definitely be against the rules.

burgerks
01-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Crazy, I didn't even think about the rules, I believe it though.
Thanks!

Ronaldo
01-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Keyword: Longitudinal, brah. PK, shortitudinal

bcaz
01-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Maybe there is a reason why PK kinetic racquets aren't used by people who play for money. Are they legal? Have they been tested in professional competition?