PDA

View Full Version : Dnx 8??

Davidbrent
01-23-2006, 04:58 PM
I suppose I've always been a bit of a "players racquet" snob but I feel like I need a bit more of everything - spin, power, feel out of my racquet and I'm intruiged by some of the Volkl racquets, particularly the DNX 8. I'm a bit wary of it though since it seems to have almost identical specs to the Babolat PD.

I'm currently using a Yonex MP Tour-1, before that an RD-7 and before that a Wilson Prostaff Classic 6.1

I began to dislike the RD-7 a while ago but I actually switched back to it after getting increasingly frustrated with the MP Tour-1 and I feel that I need the spin and feel that the RD-7 provides. I would like a bit more power though, especially on serves, and a racquet that's easier to move around at the net. Should I be going for more of a "tweener" racquet? Any thoughts on the DNX 8 or any other racquets that might give my game a lift?

Davidbrent
01-23-2006, 08:45 PM
........anybody?

tennisphotog
04-24-2006, 03:08 PM
I have played with the DNX 8 for two weeks now. I am a 42-year old 4.5 all courter. I probaby had the very first Bab PD in this country 8-years ago, but I digress. The DNX 8 plays nice, has the soft volkl feel without the spraying trampoline effect of the PD, especially at net. I had tried the DNX V1 and loved the feel but could not control it with my long loopy strokes. The DNX 8 is much better for control than the DNX V1. It will be very different than your MP-1 obviously. It does not cut the ball with that "buttery" feel the MP-1 has. But....it is lighter and is probably a better doubles stick than your MP-1.

SC in MA
04-24-2006, 07:07 PM
I was also a player's racket user until a little over a year ago. I've been playing off and on with the DNX8 over the past couple of weeks. I seem to play well with it and I especially like its manueverability. What I don't like is it's kind of harsh/hollow feel when striking the ball. I like to play my rackets stock, but I did add a bit of weight at 3 and 9 last week, which seems to make it play with a bit less of the harsh/hollow feel. If it had more of a solid feel with the same manueverability, my racket search would be over. It's strung with Yonex Pro Spin 16L at 57lbs.

NoBadMojo
04-24-2006, 07:13 PM
I suppose I've always been a bit of a "players racquet" snob but I feel like I need a bit more of everything - spin, power, feel out of my racquet and I'm intruiged by some of the Volkl racquets, particularly the DNX 8. I'm a bit wary of it though since it seems to have almost identical specs to the Babolat PD.

I'm currently using a Yonex MP Tour-1, before that an RD-7 and before that a Wilson Prostaff Classic 6.1

I began to dislike the RD-7 a while ago but I actually switched back to it after getting increasingly frustrated with the MP Tour-1 and I feel that I need the spin and feel that the RD-7 provides. I would like a bit more power though, especially on serves, and a racquet that's easier to move around at the net. Should I be going for more of a "tweener" racquet? Any thoughts on the DNX 8 or any other racquets that might give my game a lift?

Suggest you demo this frame...it will def give you more of everything, but a players frame feel it wont give you. Also suggest you try the DNX9 when you can find one as that plays a bit more like a players frame in that it is softer and lower powered. You're in a common situation I think....the DNX8 is more for the bakcourter and the 9 more for the all courter. You can also get Volkl T10VE-MPs on the cheap right now and those will give you the juice but have a layup of graphite/fiberglass..a def players feel

bagung
04-24-2006, 09:08 PM
NBM, i am switching from dnx8 to tour 9 ve, and find it less vibration and more arm friendly... do you think the dnx9 will have similar feel too as tour9ve?

Michael Musok
04-25-2006, 05:46 AM
The dnx 9 will not have a similar feel to the 9ve. I've played with all the 9's and the only one that had a nicer feel/softer hit was the older C9 Pro, but not as stable/solid as the dnx 9. The tour 9 beat up my shoulder and the 9ve killed my elbow. I've been swinging all out and going for big serves with the dnx and have yet to feel a twinge of pain anywhere in my arm. The only problelm I'm having at the moment is finding a string that I like with it, although 55 lbs. of tension (mid range) seems to be a good tension for power/control. This racquet does feel different then all the other Volkls I've played with, not a bad thing, just different.

SC in MA
04-25-2006, 09:07 AM
.... The only problelm I'm having at the moment is finding a string that I like with it, although 55 lbs. of tension (mid range) seems to be a good tension for power/control. Hi Mike: What string and tension did you try with the DNX9 and what didn't you like about it ?

NoBadMojo
04-25-2006, 10:02 AM
NBM, i am switching from dnx8 to tour 9 ve, and find it less vibration and more arm friendly... do you think the dnx9 will have similar feel too as tour9ve?

No I dont..it's like Michael sez.

Michael Musok
04-25-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm using Bluestar @ 55 lbs. and 53 in the crosses. I usually like this string but not so much in the dnx 9. It's strung one piece and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. Offcenter hits feel a little strange, I can't exactly explain it.

texcoug
04-26-2006, 05:10 AM
I have played with the DNX 8 for two weeks now. I am a 42-year old 4.5 all courter. I probaby had the very first Bab PD in this country 8-years ago, but I digress. The DNX 8 plays nice, has the soft volkl feel without the spraying trampoline effect of the PD, especially at net. I had tried the DNX V1 and loved the feel but could not control it with my long loopy strokes. The DNX 8 is much better for control than the DNX V1. It will be very different than your MP-1 obviously. It does not cut the ball with that "buttery" feel the MP-1 has. But....it is lighter and is probably a better doubles stick than your MP-1.

Can you compare the DNX 8 to the Cat 8? I am demoing the Cat 8 now and really enjoying it. I am wondering what a stiffer version would feel like, however and the DNX 8 seems to be just that.

SC in MA
04-26-2006, 06:43 AM
Can you compare the DNX 8 to the Cat 8? I am demoing the Cat 8 now and really enjoying it. I am wondering what a stiffer version would feel like, however and the DNX 8 seems to be just that.I have both the DNX8 and Cat8 and like both rackets. Neither provides the solid impact feel of a 12oz racket. The Cat8 definitely has a more cushioned feel to it vs the DNX8's noticeably more harsh feel. I don't use either racket full time right now, but if I did I might have some concern about what the cumulative effect of playing with the DNX8 might have on the arm.

Both rackets are very manueverable and are excellent in quick exchange doubles. I serve more consistently with the Cat8 and return serve better with the Cat8, especially 2HBH returns where I've had problems with the DNX8 for some reason. In singles I seem to keep my groundstrokes more consistently deep with the DNX8.

bluegrasser
04-26-2006, 06:45 AM
Try the 03 White, or the Bab Pure Storm, might do the trick.

texcoug
04-26-2006, 06:58 AM
I have both the DNX8 and Cat8 and like both rackets. Neither provides the solid impact feel of a 12oz racket. The Cat8 definitely has a more cushioned feel to it vs the DNX8's noticeably more harsh feel. I don't use either racket full time right now, but if I did I might have some concern about what the cumulative effect of playing with the DNX8 might have on the arm.

Both rackets are very manueverable and are excellent in quick exchange doubles. I serve more consistently with the Cat8 and return serve better with the Cat8, especially 2HBH returns where I've had problems with the DNX8 for some reason. In singles I seem to keep my groundstrokes more consistently deep with the DNX8.

Thanks for the info -- I am going to keep hitting with the Cat 8 this week. What strings & tension do you prefer the Cat 8 at?

SC in MA
04-26-2006, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the info -- I am going to keep hitting with the Cat 8 this week. What strings & tension do you prefer the Cat 8 at?
I haven't come up with a preferred string & tension for the Cat 8 yet. I bought mine used and it came with some sort of syn. gut/nylon strings strung at what felt like mid-tension. Surprisingly, it played pretty well and lasted a pretty long time. I then strung it with one of the Gosen syn. strings (Micro 16 I think) at 57lbs. That's what's in it now, though it's about to go. I thought the mystery strings played a bit crisper with more punch than the Gosen. I'll probably try Yonex Pro Spin next at either 55 or 57lbs.

mr2union
04-26-2006, 09:22 AM
I'm using my new DNX8's now. I like the DNX8 because it is very spin friendly compared to my previous rackets, Quantum V1. The power level is higher with the DNX8 too, but I just got a new string job with stiffer Bab Hurricane strings (according to the stringer), so this may reduce the power level a bit and so the rackets can be even more controllable. I always string my rackets at 58lbs. DNX8 is very manuveable and fits my swing style (semi-western). My stroke are with medium back swing distance, so I wanted a racket that can generate good spin by itself. The DNX8 seems to do the job for me. I demoed BB10 and Prince O3 Red, BB10 is too springy although there is also very good spin potential (probably due to the loose string job on the demo though). Prince O3 Red, in my opinion, is for player with higher skill level than I am.