PDA

View Full Version : Totally confused re: tension

arnz
01-23-2006, 06:40 PM
OK I always believed that stringing low tensions (50's and lower) made the racquet more powerful and more forgiving for the arm, and stringing high 60's and above is good for control and spin.

Now some of you are saying that stringing low doesnt really do much good for the arm and doesnt noticeably affect the characteristics of the string. And to top it off, that stringing low is not going to produce more power, it just feels that way because the ball goes deeper. HUH???

Can somebody give me the last and final word on this please....THE TRUTH SHALL SET ME FREE:p

If there is no difference, I'll just string all my racquets at 40 lbs and save the racquet from stress

dmastous
01-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Anyone who says stringing at different tensions doesn't affect the way your racquet performs is full of it.
It is true that the best way to break down what happens by stringing at lower tensions essentially gives you a longer shot and stringing at high tensions shorter. But that's the same thing as giving you more power, but less control. By stringing at lower tensions you will need less (enough to notice) effort to keep the ball in.
There has been, over the years, a lot of discussion about stringing at higher tension giving you more spin. But recent tests have shown that to be something of a myth. It just results in a shorter, maybe deader, shot and therefore, more control. Still, many players "feel" like higher tension gives them more spin. I kind of think that way too, but tests are tests. You can't lie about physics.
In addition different types of string can give you very different results. For instance I have two nTour racquets. Both strung at 60 lbs. One has Luxilon Alo Power Rough in it and the other has Forten Thin Blend. Same racquet, same tension, wildly differnet charactoristics when playing. I have good control and decent power with the Thin Blend, but lots better power, but less control with the Luxilon.

smittysan89
01-23-2006, 07:04 PM
from what I know lower tensions just give you the trampoline effect. With less body energy you can hit the ball harder and farther. At higher tensions with less energy it feels stiff and doesnt trampoline but when hit hard higher tensionened strings make the ball have more bite and more power. At least thats what i have been told.