PDA

View Full Version : Why thicker strings "could" generate more topspin!?

djones
01-23-2006, 11:21 PM
I have always been thinking that thinner strings give better ballbite.
But maybe it's not true at all, because on thicker strings the mains come out higher on top of the crosses.

(with my lack of English I couldn't think of a better way to put this, but I hope it's clear to you)

And that could also create more ballbite!?

wxr
01-24-2006, 02:52 AM
I have always been thinking that thinner strings give better ballbite.
But maybe it's not true at all, because on thicker strings the mains come out higher on top of the crosses.

(with my lack of English I couldn't think of a better way to put this, but I hope it's clear to you)

And that could also create more ballbite!?

I think you've got a point there djones, except for very dense string patterns. if you put in too thick strings in a dense pattern stringbed it will become kind of a flat area with less feel IMO.

but in open string pattern i found a thin string gave less resistance when hitting with much spin

so I think there has to be an optimum for every string pattern. (and playing style)

when i string hybrids (poly mains with softer crosses) i string the crosses about 2 kg's higher than the mains for several reasons. one of the reasons is to indeed get the mains higher on top of the crosses because the poly is stiffer. if i would string them both on the same tension the cosses will bend in shape but the poly wont because of the stifness. with reasing the tension of the crosses, the crosses forcing the poly to bend in shape.

Steve Huff
01-24-2006, 05:38 AM
Actually, many of the "spin" strings made today are thicker. Prince Topspin comes in 15L. Luxilon's 5 Star (their spin string) is a 15L. The reason is that there is more contact area between the string and ball.

Gaines Hillix
01-24-2006, 07:12 AM
Actually, many of the "spin" strings made today are thicker. Prince Topspin comes in 15L. Luxilon's 5 Star (their spin string) is a 15L. The reason is that there is more contact area between the string and ball.

Topspin strings often are made with an extra wrap that's meant to create more friction with the ball, but is not a structural part of the string, so to speak. I am thinking this makes the manufacturer rate the string as a 15L when the core of the string is really a thinner string?? This subject has been discussed a lot on this board in the past. The authors of the book The Physics and Technology of Tennis don't attribute spin potential to string or tension, but more to technique and racquet head speed. Having said that, there seems to be a lot of thought that thicker strings at lower tensions promote more spin for players with slower swings, but thinner, tighter strings are better for those with long, fast swings. My take on this is that the trend to polys being used by the pros had to do with dampening the power of their racquets so they can keep the ball in while still using a lot of racquet head speed to create more topspin.

Midlife crisis
01-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Topspin strings often are made with an extra wrap that's meant to create more friction with the ball, but is not a structural part of the string, so to speak. I am thinking this makes the manufacturer rate the string as a 15L when the core of the string is really a thinner string?? This subject has been discussed a lot on this board in the past. The authors of the book The Physics and Technology of Tennis don't attribute spin potential to string or tension, but more to technique and racquet head speed. Having said that, there seems to be a lot of thought that thicker strings at lower tensions promote more spin for players with slower swings, but thinner, tighter strings are better for those with long, fast swings. My take on this is that the trend to polys being used by the pros had to do with dampening the power of their racquets so they can keep the ball in while still using a lot of racquet head speed to create more topspin.

I know that the Forten Aramid Gear kevlar string has a 17 gauge core but the "gear" structures on the string create a diameter of 15L, and so I think they call it a 15L string, just as you say.

If a string deflects/moves when it hits the ball, it would seem that would decrease the spin on the ball unless the ball slides on the strings and the sliding is stopped by an adjacent string. I think this happens in most/all cases, since I can't notice any difference in spin between a string that moves a lot versus a string that doesn't move at all.

The only time I've noticed a difference in spin is on a skimming type shot where the racquet path is extremely vertical and the ball is dropping quickly. In these cases, a rough string like the Aramid Gear seems to grab the ball better because the ball itself isn't pushed into the strings enough for normal frictional forces to be sufficient. For me, though, this is maybe a one in one hundred shot, and any shot where the ball is being hit more than probably 30 MPH would make string roughness a non-issue.

Steve Huff
01-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Nothing gets spin like my frame shots do.

legolas
01-25-2006, 03:10 PM
yeah, most are 15, 15l

gregraven
01-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Nothing gets spin like my frame shots do.

Do you use a smooth frame, or a textured frame? Also, what gauge frame do you use? :-)

zAllianceBmx
01-25-2006, 05:13 PM
other way around djones. thicker crosses help more for increased height on mains on the stringbed.