PDA

View Full Version : Volkl Tour 9 That Powerful?

TripleB
01-24-2006, 04:21 AM
Let me preface this post by saying I'M NOT LOOKING FOR A NEW RACQUET!!!!

I was looking through the reviews here at T-W and noticed that a review for the Volkl Tour 9 (18x20) was posted a while back. I hadn't read it before but chose to read it to see what T-W thought of the racquet compared to my thoughts when I playtested it. I was really surprised at how much better they seemed to like the racquet than I did. The one area I was really shocked at was the power score...I think I gave it a 68 or 69 (and gave the 16x19 a 70 or so) and they gave it a 75 (higher than a lot of the other 'tweener' racquets out there).

I'm just wondering if everyone else feels that the Volkl Tour 9 really offers that much power?

And, do you really think it's the most powerful 'tweener' racquet out there?

TripleB

wally
01-24-2006, 04:44 AM
I had one for a couple of weeks in 18X20 string pattern you mention.

I strung it with Yonex super tour 850 in the middle of the tension range and......

It sucked no pop, no feel no spin no nothing.. I tried a bit of lead at 3 & 9 that made no difference. This racquet was just not for me.
I have heard the more open pattern version plays much better. I have thought about giving the Yonex string another go.

I currently play with the FXP Rad Tour in stock form and love it. I play more of an attacking all court game wit a bit of smash and crash doubles now and then and have found a racquet I can use for both.

alfa164164
01-24-2006, 06:04 AM
The Volkl Tour 9 is far from the most powerfull tweener out there.

foucapol
01-24-2006, 06:08 AM
I once give a try to the Tour 9 VE (18*20) briefly. It was the worst racquet I've ever used. Stiff with no power. Normally, stiff racquets are powerful but T9VE is an exception.

Swingman
01-24-2006, 07:02 AM
TripleB,

I demoed the Tour 9 16x19 a while back and it had the perfect amount of power for me. I'm a 4.5 with long, fast strokes with 1HBH. However, I didn't like the feel of it.

If I remember correctly the power level is about the same as your RQ7, maybe a hair more. It is slightly stiffer than the RQ7.

You should demo it. The price is good now.

TripleB
01-24-2006, 07:38 AM
TripleB,

If I remember correctly the power level is about the same as your RQ7, maybe a hair more. It is slightly stiffer than the RQ7.

You should demo it. The price is good now.

I did a playtest on the Volkl Tour 9 VE for T-W and didn't find near the power than the fine reviewers at T-W did so I was wondering if it was just me or if others found this racquet "not as powerful as other tweeners." It may have been the string or string tension but I found more power in my Nano Speed RQ7 than I did with the Tour 9.

TripleB

PS: the price is VERY good on the Tour 9 as well as some other "tweener/players" racquets - 200G, 300G, Maxply Mc, PS Tour 95, LM Radical, etc.