PDA

View Full Version : Help !! can't find thread on weighting ...

D. Nelson
01-24-2006, 09:15 AM
I'm trying to share my thoughts/opinion and playtest results from the information I found in the thread about adding up to 2 oz to the area right above the top of the grip/handle.... Now I'm generally open to experimenting on frames....God knows "I'VE" butchered a few....with working on lengths/counterweights/string combos/etc...etc... When I first read the thoughts on adding such a large amount of weight....I just thought :

????????????????????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!! EsPECIALLY TWO OUNCES !! So I figured I'd start out with an ounce...I got a tub of plummer's putty and grabbed an old Head Comp Master (white/flexy/102"/etc...) and added 1 oz evenly around the racquet just above the top of the handle --- smoothed it out and made it as 'uniform' as I could. I then wrapped the handle with an overgrip and covered the putty as well (finishing with electrical tape). I then went to 'The Wall' just to see.............. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the....!??!?
HUGE increase in stability....worth REPEATING !! Directional control and ease of followthrough increased OVER 50% (easily!!). I thought; 'maybe I'm just enjoying the DIFFERENCE that it feels...' I then got in to the 'rotation' for some doubles...............
YOU MUST TRY THIS...........!!!! Forget anything else....including how it might 'look' or how il-logical it might seem !! I'm sold....and I wanted to share my enthusiasm, because it really DOES add to the racquet's performance....and I do NOT feel the increase in weight !! I can't wait to try it on one of my more 'serious' frames !! I WOULD like suggestions on other alternative for adding that amount of weight; what other materials might 'work' better ???

serveitup911
02-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Lead tape?

djones
02-22-2006, 02:33 PM
http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/big/PSLT-big.jpg

treo
02-22-2006, 08:54 PM
I did a similar experiment as yours and had similar conclusions. My mod was fast and easy and I don't think I'm going to change it anytime soon! I took my POG and added about 1.5 oz. to make it a total weight of 13.5 oz. I used two large lead egg sinkers, hammered them flat, stuck them to the top and bottom of the cross bar with double sided foam tape and covered it with electrical tape. Most shots were better immediately with some exceptions that will take some adjustments. The serve felt sluggish and harder to get it moving but the added weight made up for the decreased head speed so power was about the same. Serving made my arm sore. The new setup is like pumping iron-no pain, no gain. Lobs, dropshots and touch shots are going to take some time to readjust. If you tried to add 1-2 oz with lead tape it would be expensive. Several ounces of fishing weights costs a couple of bucks.

TennisAsAlways
02-22-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm trying to share my thoughts/opinion and playtest results from the information I found in the thread about adding up to 2 oz to the area right above the top of the grip/handle.... Now I'm generally open to experimenting on frames....God knows "I'VE" butchered a few....with working on lengths/counterweights/string combos/etc...etc... When I first read the thoughts on adding such a large amount of weight....I just thought :

????????????????????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!! EsPECIALLY TWO OUNCES !! So I figured I'd start out with an ounce...I got a tub of plummer's putty and grabbed an old Head Comp Master (white/flexy/102"/etc...) and added 1 oz evenly around the racquet just above the top of the handle --- smoothed it out and made it as 'uniform' as I could. I then wrapped the handle with an overgrip and covered the putty as well (finishing with electrical tape). I then went to 'The Wall' just to see.............. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the....!??!?
HUGE increase in stability....worth REPEATING !! Directional control and ease of followthrough increased OVER 50% (easily!!). I thought; 'maybe I'm just enjoying the DIFFERENCE that it feels...' I then got in to the 'rotation' for some doubles...............
YOU MUST TRY THIS...........!!!! Forget anything else....including how it might 'look' or how il-logical it might seem !! I'm sold....and I wanted to share my enthusiasm, because it really DOES add to the racquet's performance....and I do NOT feel the increase in weight !! I can't wait to try it on one of my more 'serious' frames !! I WOULD like suggestions on other alternative for adding that amount of weight; what other materials might 'work' better ???Mr. Nelson, didn't we already go through this? What ever happened to the "lead source" revelation? HD, remember?

Good day now. 8)

TennisAsAlways
02-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Mr. Nelson, I apologize. I just realized that you posted this a long time ago! Someone just brought this thread back to life and so I thought that you just posted it today. At least your question has been answered already when we conversed about the "source". LMAO

BTW to whoever brought this thread back to life, Mr D. Nelson already has a solution.

Good day now. 8)