PDA

View Full Version : Question for Stan regarding Yonex polys

Ripper
01-24-2006, 12:35 PM
You seem to know a lot about Yonex strings. Furthermore, you seem to be the only one here with any kind of experience and/or opinion on the "Tough Brid" hybrids. On a previous post of yours, you said something about the Yonex poly used in those hybrids as being very stiff. Also, I believe you said something about basing your opinion, not on hitting with them, but on cutting them out of a frame. Since I like to experiment, I may be about to order one of these hybrids (the 130) and wanted to ask you if you could please say a bit more about this poly. Many polys out there are very stiff, but, due to other characteristics {zero movement, low power, etc.}, are popular in between many people who like that kind of string; could this poly be something like that? Thanks!

Stan
01-24-2006, 01:23 PM
The Tough Brid 125 is what I have seen. A local coach installs it for juniors and I unistall it after it breaks. The durability on the cross string is one major issue with this hybrid. I string many polys and can tell you the poly is very stiff and unflexible when being removed from the racquet. From players comments I know it is harsh.

When sticking with hybrids I have replaced the Yonex hybrid with a Poly Plasma main and soft solid core cross string. This set-up plays better, (the poly is more comfortable according to my customers) and the durability is improved. I have not personally hit with the Yonex hybrid so would be interested to see what you think. I know what I've heard to date and I have concluded the poly is nothing special. Too bad because Yonex produces some nice playing strings but this one is a clunker.

Ripper
01-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Stan, you're here! Thanks for your comment. I'll take it into consideration. And I'll let you know if I decide to try out the Tough Brid 130...

One more thing (related to Yonex strings, but not to polys); have you or any of your customers tried out the 850 Spin (multi) string with a higher tension (say 63 or 65)?

Edit: No one here seems to have tried that.

Stan
01-24-2006, 01:58 PM
I haven't personally use the 850 Pro Spin at that range, but I do have customers who string in the low 60's. What specifically do you need to know?

Ripper
01-24-2006, 02:08 PM
I haven't personally use the 850 Pro Spin at that range, but I do have customers who string in the low 60's. What specifically do you need to know?

Hummm, some multis (well, strings in general) have a tension limit after which they're so stretched out that they loose all there characteristics. Some can go very high, while others can't. Just wanted to know if this string could take the high tensions well. Its just that I like high tensions. Looks like something more I have to experiment with.

07ajwell
01-25-2006, 06:34 PM
I have used both the yonex 850 pro spin and tough brid. I loved the 850 pro spin and thought it was way better then PSGD or Gamma SG. I used that for a while and now I use the tough brid. I think the poly in the tough brid is very similar to pro hurricane. It is also very durable. I would reccomened both of these strings.