PDA

View Full Version : What Racquet Should I Get?

donnyz89
01-24-2006, 03:06 PM
There are so many threads about this question that its redicules to read. So I thought I clear things up for some rookies looking for the dream racquet in a short and sweet explaination that should be helpful to most.

First of all, to find what what racquet is right for you by reading the specs, here is a link where you will find all the info you need. Read it well and you wont be asking us to many questions.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/RacquetStringTerms.html

Now, another key point is to demo the racquet. Too often I see players asking us what racquet he or she should get or whats a good head size or whats a good weight. Everything is clearly explained on the site. Now, we can evaluate your skill or description of you and give you some of our recommendations. but when it comes down to getting the racquet, you can not buy a racquet just because we tell you to or the specs seem nice. you HAVE to demo the racquet. every racquet feels different in players hands, or when the ball makes contact. Its up to the player to figure out what feels good to them.

So my key advice for a newbie is
1) Study the specs and what they mean, and what you are looking for.
2) Get a few racquets with complete polar opposite specs and hit with them, and see which one you like better. Be it heavy or light, stiff or flexible, etc.
3) Then get a couple racquets of that spec and hit with them. Not just on the ball machine but on the court, in a match, serves, volleys, everything.
4) Take your time, it will pay off in the long run.

Getting a comfortable racquet is important, but that doesnt mean you can know which one it is by sitting on your computer screen and know whats right for you by reading some numbers.

Happy hitting

Regards, Don

ace of spades
01-24-2006, 03:38 PM
sometimes peole asking which racket they should get, are not newbies.

Sometimes they have already doemoed all the rackets out of the list they are interested. They feel that all of them are good and they are close in which ones they like so they are torn between them. So they feel that if someone has some input on a certain racket, it would get their decesion moving and the elimintaion process going on the list until finally they come to 1 racket, the 1.

Or, they would like to know which rackets are good for certain things and which things they are bad at doing. Like if the racket is good at volleying, half volleys, serving, slice, topspin ect.

So choosing a racket is not always easy, its actually pretty difficlut, so sometimes it does require the input and advice of more knowledgable tennis players.

donnyz89
01-24-2006, 04:51 PM
thats exactly the point, a racquet is not good at volleying or baseline. It might be suited for volleying because its head light or suited for top spin because of the string pattern which all can be find with some searching. when it comes to whats better, only the player him/herself can find out by DEMOING. yes, we can help him limiting the choices but there are so many choices. to tell you the truth, when I asked for help over a year and a half ago, I ended up demoing a bunch of racquets of my own liking and got the one that felt the best. It wasnt like "oh, they told me it was good for power and they were right!".

My point is, go out and hit for yourself. Making a choice based on our suggestions is a terrible idea on picking out your racquet.

tennisplayer713
01-24-2006, 10:09 PM
the new flexpoint prestige is a darn good racquet also. I have demoed it and I must say it is very stable, solid and have great power. I have a collection of all the prestiges and I cant wait for TW to carry this great frame.

the o3 white is also a great frame. cant wait for TW to carry these racquets.

Deuce
01-24-2006, 10:58 PM
All those on this message board who ask others which racquet they should buy... should buy the Snauwaert Ergonom.

That should solve the problem.

tennisplayer713
01-26-2006, 09:28 PM
All those on this message board who ask others which racquet they should buy... should buy the Snauwaert Ergonom.

That should solve the problem.

man, flexpoint prestige, that is all i have to tell you. or o3 white

czech09
01-27-2006, 07:56 AM
This needs to be stickied. I see about 5 post per day on "Which racquet should I get?" or "Which should I demo?", heck even I made one a week ago...