PDA

View Full Version : Why are some rackets only available in certain areas?

ace of spades
01-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Why do racket companies and distributors sell rackets in certain countries and not in others. Dont you think that they should sell their rackets all over the world? Wouldnt that make more sense and be better for buisness?

vkartikv
01-24-2006, 03:28 PM
That's exactly what it is - they are business oriented, which is why they supply based on the demand in a particular region or country.

ace of spades
01-24-2006, 03:40 PM
How would they know the demand for a certain racket in a certain reigon if they dont supply it?

vkartikv
01-24-2006, 03:45 PM
If you take the US for example, areas like FL and CA are known to be havens for tennis clubs and academies and thus better access to racquet stores and manufacturers. If you take west texas where I live for example, we have only one major tennis store that sells only head, wilson, prince and babolats because those are the major brands and sell by default. it would take the establishment of some sports academy here to demand racquets like PK or slazengers for the local store to contact these manufacturers to start sending these racquets.... Even then, there may not be enough demand for these manufacturers to have send their reps here.

BreakPoint
01-24-2006, 03:45 PM
How would they know the demand for a certain racket in a certain reigon if they dont supply it?

They ask their dealers what types of racquets will likely sell well.

ace of spades
01-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Ok,
I can see why certain rackets dont sell in chertain areas of the us where tennis is not very popluar, but what about whole cointries.
For instance, the 03 white was in europe for a while now it is only being introduced in the us. I know that there are many situations where this has happened.

vkartikv
01-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Ok,
I can see why certain rackets dont sell in chertain areas of the us where tennis is not very popluar, but what about whole cointries.
For instance, the 03 white was in europe for a while now it is only being introduced in the us. I know that there are many situations where this has happened.

I think it might be more of releasing something in Europe, looking at its response and how it is received there and then releasing it here. More like a guinea pig test.

str33t
01-24-2006, 04:22 PM
its all for the money

El Diablo
01-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Ace of spades, not of business. Product introductions require people from marketing, merchandising, sales and advertising staffs as well as adequate inventory on hand; all of these commodities are to some extent limited, and usually mostly based at the home office, so introducing a product simultaneously everywhere is not feasible for most companies. It is also a cash flow issue for some companies -- launches cost money that may need to be spread out over two fiscal years. And selling different products in different places is not only based on perception of different preferences in different locations but also helps diffuse risk -- a failure in one market may be offset by a success in a different market -- preferable to offering one type of product everywhere and having it fail miserably.

ace of spades
01-24-2006, 06:23 PM
So the compenies kind of release the rackets that are more prone to success in the bigger market reigons, and they kind of "guinea pig" the rackets that are less prone or riskier for success in the smaller market?