PDA

View Full Version : Lookin' for a Back-Up Racquet...

TripleB
01-25-2006, 03:55 AM
Several weeks ago (before I received my Nano Speed RQ7) I had a couple of my "closet" racquets (those that stay in the closet until I get the urge to try them again) restrung: Yonex Super RQ Ti-700 Long and Prince More Control DB800.

I week ago I had my Yonex Nano Speed RQ7 strung with my old hybrid set up (Luxilon mains/Gosen crosses) but it just doesn't offer that incredible feel that I got with the Yonex Tour Super 850 string. So I ordered some more of the Yonex string and am still waiting for it to arrive. I decided to pull out the Prince More Control DB800 and use it while waiting on my Yonex string to arrive (don't want to start associating my new racquet with poor feel).

The DB800 is strung at 60 pounds with Prince Synthetic Gut 16g with Duraflex.

This racquet played amazingly well....especially considering how horribly it played when I used to have poly in it. It offered incredible spin (top and slice), good power (although a little inconsistent off the racquet face), nice control, nice whipability (whipping cross court shots), and at a good weight (not too light but not heavy).

The main area I had a problem was the feel when at the net. I got pretty good results with my touch volleys and dropshots but the racquet seemed to rattle my arm when hitting volleys or catching the ball near the top of the racquet.

My question is: is there a cheap (ie: under $100) racquet out there (weight, balance, power level) that is very similar to the DB800 but offers a little bit better touch and feel?

I'm sure the Prince Triple Threat Warrior plays very similar but I don't want to go with it....had one before, broke in the throat area while I was playing doubles one day, and don't want another one.

The Specs for the DB800 are:

Head size: 97 sq. in. / 626 sq. cm.
Balance: 5pts Head Light
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Swingweight: 322
Weight: 11.4oz / 323g
Stiffness: 71 (0-100)
Power Level: Low-Medium
Construction: 22 mm Straight Beam
Swing Speed: Medium-fast
String Pattern: 16 Mains / 20 Crosses

BTW: the Nano Speed is my racquet of choice...this racquet would be only used as a back up racquet...hence the very cheap price point!!!

Thanks for any advice.

TripleB

jonolau
01-25-2006, 04:17 AM
TripleB, what is your limit on price when you mention a cheap alternative to the DB800? I just saw a new DB800 going for US$49.95.

TripleB
01-25-2006, 04:22 AM
TripleB, what is your limit on price when you mention a cheap alternative to the DB800? I just saw a new DB800 going for US$49.95.

I want to stay under $100....looking for something like the DB800 but with a more consistent response from all over the face of the racquet and a little less "rattle."

Thanks for the input.

TripleB

jonolau
01-25-2006, 04:47 AM
Hi TripleB, apologies that I did not notice the price ceiling in your original post. Reading it thoroughly once again, I understand as follows:

1. Nano Speed RQ7 will be your main racquet.
2. The cheaper racquet will be your spare, and you want this spare to play like the DB800 albeit with better touch and feel.

From my observation, the RQ7 is an XL, whilst the DB800 is standard length. Will there be different playability when switching between racquets in the middle of a tennis session because of this?

TripleB
01-25-2006, 05:17 AM
From my observation, the RQ7 is an XL, whilst the DB800 is standard length. Will there be different playability when switching between racquets in the middle of a tennis session because of this?

I'm hoping not....I started out playing with the NSRQ7 last night and then switched over to the DB800 and there wasn't much adjustment time needed at all. I think because their power levels are similar, I get close to the same amount of spin with both (slightly more topspin with the DB800 and slightly more penetrating slice with the Yonex), and their swing weights seem pretty close.

TripleB

jonolau
01-25-2006, 05:24 AM
Hi TripleB, to be honest, I'm still not too convinced. Before you decide on spending more money, play with the RQ7 a bit more too get a feel of the comfort level. I think it is quite dicey to switch with between different racquet lengths.

TripleB
01-25-2006, 06:34 AM
After plugging in similar specs to the Racquet Finder, I find that the following racquets come closest to the specs of the DB800 with a price that's close to or below my limit:

Dunlop Maxply McEnroe
Head LM Instinct
Head LM Radical MP
Prince Air Vanquish MP
Pro Kennex Heritage Type S
Volkl Tour 9 VE (16m and 18m)
Wilson Pro Staff Tour 95

Thanks.

TripleB

jonolau
01-25-2006, 06:51 AM
No worries, and enjoy your demos.

thejuice
01-25-2006, 09:21 AM
After plugging in similar specs to the Racquet Finder, I find that the following racquets come closest to the specs of the DB800 with a price that's close to or below my limit:

Dunlop Maxply McEnroe
Head LM Instinct
Head LM Radical MP
Prince Air Vanquish MP
Pro Kennex Heritage Type S
Volkl Tour 9 VE (16m and 18m)
Wilson Pro Staff Tour 95

Thanks.

TripleB

Triple B, I feel good because I was going to recommend the Maxply McEnroe as a good stick with similar specs but better at the net. I'll also recommend the M-Fil 300 as a good stick but not as stiff as the Maxply.