PDA

View Full Version : somewhat simple technical question

tom-selleck
01-25-2006, 04:23 AM
i was wondering about balance of racquets when you buy them new.

i read a review of ncode 6.1 9.5 and it says it's 10 or 11 points head light (i can't remember exactly, and not the point of thread).

anyhow, assuming it's 11 points head light, will it be that balance exactly no matter the grip size?....

i.e. will it still be 11 points head light whether you have 4 1/8 or 4 5/8 grip size? meaning, does wilson make some small adjustment on the head to keep that balance? OR is the stated balance based on average grip size?

i realize if you change the grip size yourself thru heat wraps it will change the balance. does anyone know how much?

thanks in advance! much appreciated

netman
01-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Can't answer the one on Wilson. Yonex has had different weights for different grip sizes for years. Don't know about the other mfgs.

Heat shrinks add a good bit of weight. The change in balance will vary by frame depending on how the spec weight is distributed. For a real life example, on my MaxPly McEnroe, a 1/2 size heat shrink changed the balance from 3 pts HL to 5 pts HL. Adding a Yonex SuperGrap overwrap took it to 6 pts HL.

-k-

Keifers
01-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Others will know better than I, but I believe the specs are the average over all the grip sizes. During manufacturing, heavier "naked" frames are chosen to be made into the larger grip sizes. Sometimes, lead tape is added at the handle end to bring the finished racquet into spec for weight and balance.

tom-selleck
01-26-2006, 04:44 AM
thanks for the responses! much appreciated.

NoBadMojo
01-26-2006, 07:01 AM
anyhow, assuming it's 11 points head light, will it be that balance exactly no matter the grip size?....

i.e. will it still be 11 points head light whether you have 4 1/8 or 4 5/8 grip size? meaning, does wilson make some small adjustment on the head to keep that balance? OR is the stated balance based on average grip size?

i realize if you change the grip size yourself thru heat wraps it will change the balance. does anyone know how much?

thanks in advance! much appreciated

companies make no provisions for balance by gripsize. verdict seems to be out whether yonex has diff weights for diff gripsizes. heat shrinks add a significant amount of static weight to a frame, but more importantly serously change the balance

NoBadMojo
01-26-2006, 07:08 AM
Others will know better than I, but I believe the specs are the average over all the grip sizes. During manufacturing, heavier "naked" frames are chosen to be made into the larger grip sizes.

patently untrue re hevier racquets chosen for larger grip sizes unless perhaps for some Yonex and nobody seems to have a difinitive word on this

Sometimes, lead tape is added at the handle end to bring the finished racquet into spec for weight and balance.

only if a company is still using really obsolete manufacturing technques and has really bad manufacturing tolerances. i've done many many Volkl pallet changes and have never seen weight added to any of them. Didnt know Wilson was still doing this...if so, it would really difficult to find Wilson frames which play alike

chip
01-26-2006, 07:13 AM
Seems to me the bigger grip sizes feel heavier - but maybe it is just perception due to the way it feels in my hand??

Brad Smith
01-26-2006, 07:14 AM
Yonex did have variations on weight based on grip size in the past. They had different designations (UL, SL, etc.) on the RD-7 and the RD Power 10 Long. I don't know if they're still doing that.

JediMindTrick
01-26-2006, 07:17 AM
Yonex did have variations on weight based on grip size in the past. They had different designations (UL, SL, etc.) on the RD-7 and the RD Power 10 Long. I don't know if they're still doing that.

Their new lines including the RDX line doesn't have variations based on the grip size.