PDA

View Full Version : natural gut stringing questions

jag
01-25-2006, 08:26 AM
I just tried stringing with natural gut for the first time and it was not as bad as I thought it would be, but did have a few problems.

When stringing the crosses how do you work around the mounting system without kinking the string?

Stringing the last 2 crosses was also close to damaging the string it felt like. Can you get around that by just waxing the mains?

Do you tie the knot with a single half-hitch or double half-hitch?

Gaines Hillix
01-25-2006, 11:18 AM
jag, pop over to the GSS website and take a look at their tutorial on stringing with nat gut. This was writtem by Tim Strawn, the owner of the site and an experienced pro tournament stringer. One of the best ways to avoid kinking nat gut is to let go of the string every couple of crosses so that it can uncoil and relax, so it is less prone to kinking. I also check the little loop that forms outside the frame just before the cross is pulled all the way through to make sure its not crossed over. I don't wax the mains any more because it gets on the clamps, which can cause slippage. Almost all gut strings have a coating on them now, so they aren't as fragile as they were when the were raw, uncoated gut. I use a Parnell knot on gut, which is similar to a DHH. I pull the knots tight by hand when using gut.