PDA

View Full Version : customizing v-con 17(counterweight)

martin
06-08-2004, 09:10 AM
Just bought a v-con 17 but it plays too light. I can't handle the heavy balls and my timing is not always right. Before this i used the pro staff classic and that racket felt more stable. I added 3 grams at 3 and 9 o'clock each.
How much weight should i add to the handle to get the right balance again. Already have added an overgrip because my grip was too thin so this already added some weight too.
I hope someone can help me with this???

AAAA
06-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Martin, The L1,2 and 3 grip size versions of Yonex racquets are usually lighter than the L4 and L5 versions. The weight different you found between the demo and the one you bought could be due to:

1) Different grips sizes

2) Different gauge strings. 15gauge strings will be a few grams heavier than 17g strings when you string in the same racquet.

3) Manufacturing variations. My Fischers have an unstrung weight of 330g +/- 7 grams which means two racquets from the same production line could vary in weight by as much as 14grams.

To counter balance the 6grams of lead tape you added to the 3 and 9 o'clock positions I would add 6 grams under the replacement grip. Note that this is only an approximation (not exact counter balancing) but is easier to do than putting the lead underneath the butt cap and for most players it's close enough.

It seems from this post and your earlier one you could easily handle alot more weight so add something like 10grams under the grip.