PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new racquet

jamauss
01-25-2006, 03:02 PM
For a long time (about 7 years or so) I've been playing with the Prince Michael Chang graphite. When the titanium version came out I tried playing with it but it felt too stiff and heavy so I stuck with the graphite model.

I'm starting to get to the point with my game that the chang graphite feels a little heavy (it's not a light racquet by any means) and also feels like maybe I could use a racquet that provides slightly better control.

I play with the midplus sized change graphite currently. (95 in.). I'm about a 4.5-5.0 level player and I'm looking for a new stick. Anyone got any recommendations?:mrgreen:

str33t
01-25-2006, 03:10 PM
how heavy is the racquet your currently using and is it head light or head heavy?

jamauss
01-25-2006, 03:20 PM
I don't know the exact weight but it's head heavy. Would it be foolish to switch from a head heavy racquet to a head light one?

DANMAN
01-25-2006, 03:35 PM
I used to play with the Michael Chang Titanium Midplus and my buddy still plays with the Graphite OS. I could be wrong, but I don't think either are Head Heavy...maybe close to even balance. Here's a link to the old TW page for the racket... http://web.archive.org/web/19990911210627/www.tenniswarehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=PGMC

jamauss
01-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Hmm..I'm a web developer...should have thought to look for info on the racquet using archive.org ;)

So, the MidPlus I have appears to weigh 11.2 ounces. I was just trying to recall from memory whether it feels head heavy or not (I'm not at home) so, I could be wrong - it may very well be an evenly balanced racquet.

So, maybe I'm asking the wrong question - for a player like me (4.5-5.0 level, generate plenty of my own power, looking for control primarily, good enough that I don't mind a smaller sweet spot) - would a head heavy (or light) racquet provide any benefit?

I've been on TW looking at the Head LM Prestige midplus (or mid) racquet - it looks pretty sweet.

DANMAN
01-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Both of those are sweet rackets. For comparable rackets to those, consider the Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine Midplus/Mid and the Volkl Tour 10 Gen II. All are head light, which is probably what you should use at the 4.5/5.0 level. I play at the same level as you, and while some have good results with hammers and the like, most do play with head light sticks. The Prestige will likely drop in price soon as the Flexpoint Prestige is due out very soon. Again, I am not totally sure about the balance of the Chang, but I know my Titanium Midplus was either evenly balanced or head light. Good luck.

Belafonte
01-25-2006, 05:51 PM
from what i remember the chang titaniums were about 8 points HL

str33t
01-25-2006, 05:55 PM
the head lm prestige and radical are both pretty sweet racquets. i prefer the radical over the prestige since i own a radical myself. you can check the stats and the review at http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-LMRAD.html i bought the radical becuase its review was better.

jamauss
01-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the pointers everyone - I think I might demo the LM Prestige MP and one of the Volkl's. Would you recommend I wait to try out the Flexpoint Prestige before going with the LM Prestige (if that's what I decide) ? Is the Flexpoint Prestige an improved version of the LM model?

DANMAN
01-25-2006, 08:17 PM
The Flexpoint (not that I have hit with it) will just be a different Prestige. Better is too subjective. Most people seem to like the Prestige Classic (the original) the best while others like the i.prestige and others the Liquidmetal. Having played with all three, I can see they are all different. There are some reviews on the message board about the new flexpoint prestige if you want to run a search. They should be in around either March 1 or February 1 I think, although I believe there is an exact date somewhere in the TW QUESTION section of the board. If you like the Liquidmetal, you might want to get a couple when they drop in price; however, they will be discontinued. They have been so popular that I would not imagine that they will be that difficult to find. If you are looking for a Volkl that is closest to the Prestige, it will likely be the DNX 10 since it is an 18x20 pattern. Volkl experts would know more. My favorite Volkl stick I have hit with is the Tour 10 Mp Gen II. The V-Engine has a bit more pop than the Gen II. Both the Volkl rackets will be more spin friendly than the prestige. There are a lot of great rackets out there...I was just focusing on the brands you mentioned. Let us know if you need more information.