PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing which rackets to demo.

b-dizzle
01-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Hello, as you can see I am new to this forum, so I hope I'm not violating any ettiquette by posting this.
I am about a 3.0 player who uses a western, flat forehand and a 2 handed backhand. My stroke is fast and long. I am trying out for my highschool tennis team and am in need of a new racket. My trainer says I should be looking for something in the middle, not too flexible but not too stiff. My price limit is about $150, maybe I could stretch it if I really liked the racket in question. I would like some suggestions on a few rackets for me to demo; I am probably going to a local store this weekend. If you have suggestions on which ones to stay away from, those are welcome too.

Greatly Appreciated,
B-Dizzle

jaskey
01-25-2006, 03:46 PM
your weight preferance and what racquet you used until now could help us help you. that and what do you look for in a racquet? (power, control, spin, etc.)

zcarzach
01-25-2006, 03:50 PM
I would check out the Head I.Radical OS and the Head LM Radical OS. Either of those frames should work well for you. The Prince NXG OS should fit the bill as well. The Yonex RDX 300 Super Midplus might work as well. Since you are a 3.0 player, I would stay away from anything smaller than 95-98 square inches. Do you want a standard length or extended? To be honest, the I.Radical would probably be great for you, and you could get 2 of them for your 150!

BabolatFan
01-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Hello, as you can see I am new to this forum, so I hope I'm not violating any ettiquette by posting this.
I am about a 3.0 player who uses a western, flat forehand and a 2 handed backhand. My stroke is fast and long. I am trying out for my highschool tennis team and am in need of a new racket. My trainer says I should be looking for something in the middle, not too flexible but not too stiff. My price limit is about $150, maybe I could stretch it if I really liked the racket in question. I would like some suggestions on a few rackets for me to demo; I am probably going to a local store this weekend. If you have suggestions on which ones to stay away from, those are welcome too.

Greatly Appreciated,
B-Dizzle
Yeah what racket do u use rightnow...weight?

Donnie Darko
01-25-2006, 04:16 PM
WHASSUP B-DIZZLE? Welcome to the forums.

Ok, you're playing HS tennis........what type of racquets do the other HS players use? That might be a good way to figure out what's working for other people and if they're cool they might let you hit with their racquet to try it out.

Since you're gonna be on the HS, you're gonna want a sexy racquet that the chicks will dig.

Some sticks in your price range that you should maybe check out -

Dunlop M-Fil 700. Nice racquet and it looks great if you get rid of the silly looking candy stripe grip it comes with. Either put a new grip on it or cover it up with a nice overgrip. Should be a nice racquet for 3.0 player and you won't outgrow it quickly as you improve.

Volkl Catapult V1 - these are being replaced by the Volkl DNX line so TW has a sweet price on them. Very solid racquets and again, something that can grow with you. Try the OS and the midplus, you can't go wrong with either one. You can teach the tennis groupie girls how to pronounce Volkl and impress them.

Volkl Tour 6 Gen II - awesome looking racquet that plays very well. Lots of touch and control. Only $69.99 at TW, you could pick up two and stay close to your budget.

ProKennex Kinetic Pro 5G or 15 G - not a super popular brand but playing with one would set you apart from every other Head-goon out there. Both are nice racquets and should be considered.

Head - nah, don't be a sheep and walk around aimlessly with the flock. Their racquets are decent but overrated.

Prince - a little pricey for your budget if you want to get one of the sexy o3 racquets. They have a new one out called the Air Freak, very light. Check it out if you want to hit a Prince racquet under 150 bones.

Wilson - nah.

Babolat - What HS guy wouldn't want to pull the chicks that Roddick does? The Pure Drives are going to be a bit beyond your budget, though.

Good luck and let us know what you choose, bro.

b-dizzle
01-25-2006, 05:34 PM
your weight preferance and what racquet you used until now could help us help you. that and what do you look for in a racquet? (power, control, spin, etc.)

The one I've used til now is a cheap Wilson, I think the US Open. It is 9.8 g or so if I remember right. It's basic, pretty much a graphite titanium balanced, no frills racket that has a very dense string pattern. In a racket, I would look for both power and control, maybe a little more on the control side, since my swing is fast and long anyway. I wouldn't want anything lighter than the 9.8 g I have now, but not too heavy. Spin is not a huge issue; I use it on my serving and volleys sometimes, but rarely on my groundstrokes. Probably I want a midplus racket, but I'm not sure if I want extended or not; I'm over 6 foot if that helps any.
I would check out the Head I.Radical OS and the Head LM Radical OS.
I know the technological differences between the i.Radical and LM Radical, but what is the difference in how they play? Also, my friend suggested the Wilson n.Tour, what do you think of that racket?

ravemaster806
01-25-2006, 05:43 PM
hi, i would suggest a flexpoint radical mp or tour since it have good control and power at the same time, hope that help

jaskey
01-25-2006, 08:24 PM
^^;; you said you used US Open racquet and you have fast and long swing without any spin... how did you get any balls in the court? you must play with magic! jk but i have a US Open racquet and i'd think it'd be impossible to keep the ball in with fast swing without huge amount of spin on it.

anywho, i think Prince Air DB would be perfect for you, but this is from paper not experience. (which means i'm basing my guess on the specs) check it out right here http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=PADB

DANMAN
01-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Check out the Dunlop M-Fil 300. I think you can get 2 for around $150.

jonolau
01-25-2006, 08:40 PM
Check out the Dunlop M-Fil 300. I think you can get 2 for around $150.
The M-Fil 300 is a good racquet to start off with and for that money, you have a backup in case the strings snap.

At this stage, racquet brand is quite immaterial. Work on your technique first and once you've got an all round game, you'd be in much better position in future to decide what gaps a different racquet can help you fill in.

czech09
01-25-2006, 09:09 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=83956

Read my response to his thread and you're set...

andyroddick's mojo
01-25-2006, 09:25 PM
okay here we go
buying a new racket is always tough so its good that your gonna demo them. I'd say try the wilson ntour like your friend said, or the wilson n pro surge or surge X, because they're around 10 or so grams, good control, while the ntour is more of an all around racket. so either those, or the dunlop m-fil 300, like the kind james blake used to use. According to reviews its really good, and TW has recently lowered the price. The wilson surge's are about 120 i think and the ntour is about 170 or 180, so its higher then the rest. Try look at the specs of each to determine which one you would like best.

czech09
01-25-2006, 09:33 PM
Read the thread I sent you a link to previously but just to make one more suggestion, buy it USED on the F/S forums here. You're trying out for the team, if you don't make the cut you might get carried away and lose interest in the sport - $150 is a bit too much for someone that's just seemingly getting into the sport. $150 is too much even more me and I've been playing for 5 years now. I would highly recommend you Demo the LM Radical, I just bought one on these forums for $45 shipped - you really can't beat that...Good luck with your search for a racquet and with tryouts...8-)

Steve H.
01-26-2006, 09:23 AM
Have a look at http://www.racquetfinder.com

You can get an idea of the head size, stiffness, weight and swingweight of the various options available to you. It sounds as though you would be best off with something in the middle of the range: about 10.5 to 11 ounces, around 100 sqin, SW of 315 to 320. Also consider which brand has the most comfortable grip shape for you, Heads are more rectangular, Princes more square, and Wilsons, Kennex, and Dunlops are in the middle. And as the others said, you don't need to spend a lot of money.

panic
01-26-2006, 09:33 AM
I'd say check out wilson npro surge and dunlop m-fil 300

b-dizzle
01-26-2006, 11:51 AM
I used the racket finder, and it came up with 3: the Babolat Pure Control Zylon 360, the Head Liquidmetal Fire, and the Prince Air DB. I don't know much about the first two, does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. My trainer says he'll have a list of his suggestions for me on Friday, so I'll combine that one with the suggestions from here and go from there. If people have more suggestions, feel free to keep posting 'em.

gonzalocatalino
01-26-2006, 12:04 PM
i`m probably a 3.0 player and really like 12oz players racquets. I also own a Pure control Zylon but i don`t use it because feel a little light for me. The PCZ (is almost the same racquet that the pure storm) is a good racquet, swing a little heavier than his static weight, is alot better than the PURE DRIVE, feels more solid, IMO.
If you had the chance to demo any VOLKL racquet, do it, don t will be dissapointed.

good luck!

b-dizzle
01-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I went out to a local outlet tonight and picked out a few to demo. Here goes, in no real order:
1.Wilson nPro MidPlus
2.Head Liquidmetal Radical MP
3.Prince Air DB
And I am going to check out these two on Thursday:
4.Wilson nPro Surge
5. Dunlop M-Fil 300

The place has an indoor half-court with wall, and at first hit I like the Prince Air DB best. The nPro really pumps up my backhand, though. Because it was a wall, I havn't really tried volleying yet, and its hard to know if the serves I hit would've gone in. I have a clinic tomorrow, it will be the real test.

Marius_Hancu
01-30-2006, 06:00 PM
FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

b-dizzle
02-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Played with the first three today. I was suprised to find that the nPro was my favorite of the three. Serving with the head-lightness took a little getting used to, but the Radical felt too stiff and the DB just wasn't very comfortable. Friday I try the Surge version of the nPro and the M-Fil 300.

matchpoint54
02-01-2006, 07:09 PM
I'd also suggest the nPro. A lot of guys I know play with it and at tournaments. It looks pretty cool also.

b-dizzle
02-07-2006, 02:18 PM
OK, trying out the nPro Surge, nPro Surge X, and m-Fil 300 tomorrow. The place didn't have them in on Friday, but we managed to pick them up today. I agree that they look pretty cool :) . I'll let you know how I liked em tomorrow. Any suggestions on strings for whatever I choose, you can put here (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=750922&posted=1#post750922)

okdude1992
02-07-2006, 07:34 PM
try a babolat dude...
nothing compares...
you won't be sorry...
they are a bit over $150, but no other raquets are like them...
I use a babolat pure drive...best raquet ive ever used (if anyone has switched from this to another raquet let me know)... here are stats:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/BPD/BPDReview.html

what weight are u looking for, and what type:
control oriented
power oriented
touch oriented
spin oriented ect.

it all depends
good luck

okdude1992
02-07-2006, 07:40 PM
dunlop mfil 200 or mfil 300 raquets are pretty good too...there also about $75, so you could get 2 for 150...good deal...
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCDUNLOP-D300.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCDUNLOP-D200.html

Fischer M speed is pretty good too
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/FMSR/FMSRReview.html

b-dizzle
02-08-2006, 02:50 PM
OK, just got back from trying out the Surge, Surge X, M-Fil 300. The Dunlop was the best at serves and spin for me, but for whatever reason, I really didn't like the net play of it. In my opinion, the Surge X was my personal favorite of the three, although really the performance difference between that and the regular surge were virtually the same, I just found the longer grip more comfortable.
Now I'm torn between the Surge X and the regular nPro. I'm probably leaning toward the Surge X a little, but I might demo the plain nPro one last time to see.

OKdude- hit a little with some Babolats at the store, I liked em, but not enough to drop $50-80 more than what I would be getting. As far as what orientation I want, I really want something good all around, leaning just a little towards power but still manueverable enough for net play. Spin is not a big issue.

tennis_nerd22
02-08-2006, 04:17 PM
dude, are you sure the m-fil 300 wasnt at good at the net? its supposed to be cuz its manuverable and light... anyways, if its good on serves, thats good news for me, my server needs work :D lol

oh ya, what grip size did you get for the 300 to demo with? jw

b-dizzle
02-09-2006, 12:27 PM
I dunno what the grip size was, all the demos were the same. It was a little too small. It wasn't bad at the net, it just didn't have quite enough pop for me. Maybe for people who punch more on their volleys it would be fine, or maybe it was a fluke, but whatever.
One final demo: nPro VS nPro Surge X. Don't know when I'm gonna do it, but it's gonna have to happen eventually.

Mxchickmagnet86
02-09-2006, 12:52 PM
pick up a Yonex vcon-17 from the liquidation section

Marius_Hancu
02-09-2006, 01:00 PM
OK, just got back from trying out the Surge, Surge X, M-Fil 300. The Dunlop was the best at serves and spin for me, but for whatever reason, I really didn't like the net play of it .

hm, you might have to work on your volleys ... that's a very good racquet there ...

I think that would be a racquet which would make you advance, if you like it from the ground and serve ...

if you need more pop you might have to add 5-10g lead at 3 and 9.

Loserfoo
02-09-2006, 01:14 PM
head lm radical mp or yonex mp tour-5

b-dizzle
02-22-2006, 03:17 PM
OK, after 2 hours today, I'm almost completely sold on the nPro Surge X. As of right now, it is a more comfortable and better racket for me, I think. I realize it's not the best choice for TE, but I figure as I get stronger and better, I can lead it up some, which should make it somewhat better. The longer grip is more comfortable for me. I plan to string it somewhere mid to high in the range, and use Wilson Reaction or Wilson Sensation 16G, preferably Reaction, but I don't know what my local shop has/uses. I plan to pick up a Wilson Black & Lime Tour Triple bag to match. :D
Thanks to all of you guys for your help and suggestions. If you have a better idea on the string front, post it here or on my thread in the string forum.