PDA

View Full Version : Softer poly for an open string pattern

POGforEver
01-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Well my new found hybrid of Gamma Livewire XP and Topspin hasn't been working out too well. I end up breaking it evey 3 or 4 times I play. So I'm looking for somehting with a little more durabilit, and suggestions? Thanks!

smittysan89
01-25-2006, 03:54 PM
SPPP is a nice softer poly that alot of people like. I would try it out.

safin_protege
01-25-2006, 03:54 PM
A soft poly like Kirschbaum Touch Turbo in the mains and a synthetic gut in the crosses works well.

POGforEver
01-25-2006, 06:12 PM
how do you guys feel about Prince Polygut. My friend uses it in the mains with Wilson Sensation in the crosses and said its not harsh on the arm, any thoughts?

Midlife crisis
01-25-2006, 06:36 PM
SPPP is a nice softer poly that alot of people like. I would try it out.

I second this. SPPP is one really, really nice string, with very good tension holding, almost no movement, and very good durability.

smittysan89
01-25-2006, 06:39 PM
how is it in spin and power though?

POGforEver
01-25-2006, 06:45 PM
what would be good to hybrid SPPP with? PSGD would do the trick right? this set up would be going in a POG or maybe an O3 tour because i might be switching

smittysan89
01-25-2006, 06:50 PM
yes PSGD would be fine if you already have some. I would use og sheep micro super though.

Midlife crisis
01-25-2006, 06:58 PM
how is it in spin and power though?

For a regularly hit ball, any string produces the same amount of spin. The only things that may affect this are if more than one string moves due to hitting the ball, or on a skimming shot where you go for huge topspin and low ballspeed, when a textured string seems to grab a little better. That being said, SPPP doesn't move when you hit it, and is no worse than any other non-textured string for skimming shots (I'm a topspin player and I hit like this maybe only once a match or so). It does not match a textured string for this type of shot.

As far as power, any poly is going to be a fairly low powered string, but I went from a kevlar hybrid to SPPP and it noticeably has more pop at the top end. For easier swings, there's not a lot of difference in either feel or ballspeed.

The real benefits of this string are its soft feel and great tension holding.