PDA

View Full Version : Racquets need to be more powerful today?

sureshs
01-25-2006, 05:07 PM
OK, not a very original topic, but I have seen lots of discussions here on whether older racquets are better, stiffer ones are needed these days, big headed racquets are better, less than midplus won't suit today's playing styles, PS 85 is still the best, etc. Here is an excerpt from Martina's interview after her loss to Kim.

Q. Looks a little bit more power.

MARTINA HINGIS: More power?

Q. Is that true or not?

MARTINA HINGIS: Well, maybe the technology of the racquets. I always tell Yonex, "Come on, I need more power."

stevewcosta
01-25-2006, 05:30 PM
She needs to hit the gym. So irritating to hear crap like that. She's young...get fit...that's her job.

Pomeranian
01-25-2006, 07:57 PM
She needs to hit the gym. So irritating to hear crap like that. She's young...get fit...that's her job.

You think that she can play professional tennis and not hit the gym? I agree that I don't like her statement but all pros train extremely hard.

In the modern game I would think that at higher levels, headsize and power matters but isn't exactly a law. Even pros mishit because of the incredible pace they are dealing with, not because of poor judgement, but at lower levels, mishits usually occur because of poor judgment. That's why racquet manufacturers reccomend larger headsizes that offer more power to players who have poorer judgment and can't generate their own but at higher levels those racquets could be used as well, but a lot of people move on to a racquet that fits them better.