PDA

View Full Version : need help finding racquet

thinkhard
01-25-2006, 05:40 PM
I've been taking lessons and on our highschool tennis team for a while and after trying a friend's NXG midplus, I found that a new racquet could really help me play better. As it is, I'm using my uncle's old Extender Lightning, though I think he weighted it. I think it's pretty top heavy and definitely not light weight, so I'm trying to get a good idea of what racquets I should demo. I have a fast and long stroke, an alternately 2-handed or 1-handed back hand, though neither could really hit a winning shot. I think that I could really use low-power head-light racquet a little bit lighter than what I'm using. I could definitely use more pop on the serves too, though that might just be the stringing. I'm new to this forum, so any help that I can get would be great.

str33t
01-25-2006, 05:45 PM
i'd recommend the racquet that i'm using: head liquidmetal radical midplus. great racquet. i think i play just like you do excluding the one-handed backhand. i play with a two-handed backhand and can't hit winner off of it either but the LM radical has improved my backhand. you can check the stats at http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-LMRAD.html

str33t
01-25-2006, 05:46 PM
also check the review on it. great stats. one reason why i bought it without demoing it.

thinkhard
01-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Forgot, I also play with a semi-western grip leaning toward western and like to get spin on my shots. And thanks, I'll definitely look into that. Any other suggestions?

czech09
01-25-2006, 07:44 PM
No just get the LM Radical I did ;). Maybe my review will help you a little. I tested out some pretty good racquets there however each person is going to like different ones. I heard the Wilson Hyper Hammer 4.0 is a good racquet ;). Seriously though, check out the bottom 4 that I tested. The top 3 are a little above what you need right now. If you're looking for a racquet that will dramatically improve your game - it's most likely not going to happen. It's always 80% player, 20% racquet. The LM is a good choice as you could probably be decent with it now and you could probably definetly use it as you advance skill wise. Check the Comparitive reviews sticky on this forum (I was glued to that for a few days). Look at reviews by people with similar grip, and experience (lowest you'll find is 3.0 but that's fine). Just to let you know I have a Semi-Western grip as well and use a two handed backhand and this racquet is really good. You really need to go to your country club/shop and pick some out, usually the pros there will help you with your selection as well.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/SelectingRacquet/SelectingRacquet.html

^ check out category 1 and 2 on there that's about what you're ready for at the moment. If you're really just getting into it probably stick to just category 1 and upgrade later, those racquets are much more forgiving (although the LM is very forgiving as well).

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=83464

^ My thread

Good luck!