PDA

View Full Version : Most powerful string, WITHOUT THE MUSH!

ace of spades
01-25-2006, 07:42 PM
A lot of people claim that some mulit's like nrg2 are the most powerful strings. Yes, but next thing you know they become mushy because of tension loss (maybe that is why people think they are powerful?). So what are the most powerful strings available (including poly's and multi's but not gut) that dont become mush too quickly. So in other words what is the most powerful, crisp string?

sharapovalover
01-25-2006, 07:43 PM
i say gut but thats just me (i think...?)

ace of spades
01-25-2006, 07:47 PM
So what are the most powerful strings available (including poly's and multi's but not gut)

sharapovalover
01-25-2006, 07:49 PM
o sry i didnt see that

Squid
01-25-2006, 07:53 PM
luxilon bb alu power if you dont mind the fact that it could be harsh on your arm... although i never personally felt that "harshness". you just have to string bb alu power a little lower than normal

ace of spades
01-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Yeah gut would be ideal but unfortunately the price and durability are not

Kevo
01-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Yonex 850 (non spin), Babolat Powergy, Head FXP and Fibergel Power, Babolat XCel premium, Wilson reaction. There are lots of good ones out there. Depends on what you want more, power or crispness. Maybe a nice synthetic gut would work better for you. They tend to maintain tension better than multis and play a little more crisp than most multis.

Craig Sheppard
01-25-2006, 09:27 PM
From my experience, strings that I'd rank high in power are Gamma LiveWire XP, Ashaway Dynamite, Babolat Xcel Premium, and Gosen Jim Courier. The LiveWire feels great but goes away quickly. Dynamite gets mushy after a while but probably has the most power of a string besides gut, probably b/c you string it so low... Xcel is a great all-around, but pricey. Gosen JC is interesting... it felt powerful and crisp to me and is cheap. Haven't tried it since the 17 has been discont'd tho. Should say I don't use polys so I can't put them in the mix. I've hit w/ a few and they're not impressive, IMO.

DANMAN
01-25-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm a big Tecnifibre X-1 Biphase fan. I've always broken it before it could become mushy. It played better for longer than NRG2 in my opinion.

35ft6
01-25-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm beginning to think that strings are like rackets in that if you're talking about which strings give the easiest power, it's all about how you hit the ball.

Like my Big Banger string provides absolutely not power whatsoever, but because it allows me to keep the ball in play more, I actually end up being able to hit much harder with it than I could with a more 'powerful' string.

My new racket is very low powered, but I can hit harder with it than I could with my relatively high powered oversized racket. Yeah. Rock on.

Keifers
01-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Highly recommend Wilson Reaction -- good power with a very nice crisp response. Good tension hold, too.

backboard34
01-26-2006, 06:19 AM
LaserFibre Phenom 17, tons of power, very soft, super tension holding, most durable multi I ever used. I personally prefer firm strings. If you like soft strings and power, this is the one to try.

Richie Rich
01-26-2006, 08:07 AM
Highly recommend Wilson Reaction -- good power with a very nice crisp response. Good tension hold, too.

Yup. good string and a good value too.

safin_protege
01-26-2006, 03:28 PM
I disagree with Luxilon strings; yes, they have excellent power, but they have quick tension loss and are definitely "mushy" feeling strings.

I second Tecnifibre X-One Biphase; great power and feel with decent durability. The strings are similar to feel with the NRG2 string, but have better tension maintenence and durability.

ace of spades
01-26-2006, 04:33 PM
but durability is really blahhhh, tried it once, broke 17g in tthree hours in an 18X20

I think that x-1, or xcell might be good though i have heard mixed results about xcell's tension hoding and durability... I may give hurricane 18 a try to get some more spin, i also heard it gives pretty good power. Also do you think that ashaway monogut and krish competition give good power?

ace of spades
01-26-2006, 04:36 PM
if you're talking about which strings give the easiest power, it's all about how you hit the ball.

i agree but im just looking for something that could make my job of wionning a little easier without having to go all out on certain shots. I know there is only so much that strings can change and imnot changing my racket so im gust wondering what strings will make it slightly easier to generate more power.

oscar_2424
01-26-2006, 09:39 PM

i may give it a try, since i am still searching for my perfect string

SteveI
01-27-2006, 03:56 AM
Hi,

Loved the x-1 Bi-Phase... but not the price. Got a free set.. and went whoaaa. Then looked at the price. :-(

Regards,
Steve

kreative
01-27-2006, 11:07 AM
babolat xcell, laserfibre pro stock, lux ace 18. kirsch competition doesn't have much power.