PDA

View Full Version : Really sorry to ask but..

Fumoffu
01-25-2006, 11:06 PM
I need a bit of help with selecting a new racket.. Currently I am using the Wilson N6-1 95 with Alu Power Rough at 60 lbs (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-WN6195.html ) I love this racket to be honest, I've been using it for nearly a year now. I've always had a.. lacking serve. The power was hard to generate and consistancy was a big issue. Recently, when my strings had popped I had been borrowing friends rackets (things from the RDX300 SuperMid, some of those 20 dollar walmart rackets, etc), and I noticed my serve was.. phenominal with these (at least in comparison with my old racket) and this led me to believe that the racket is simply too heavy for me to wield on the serve.. even if I think that I can handle it. I was naive to think I'd be able to handle it, telling myself that "this is the best tennis I've played in my life" was due only because the racket forced me to use proper form etc, and now its engrained into my body. Now I've realized that the players racket IS NOT FOR ME. I CANNOT handle it, I AM NOT good enough to use it.

To make sure it wasnt just in my head and it was just a few lucky serves. I did a small test. On different days I went out and served 50 balls and recorded which ones went in, and thought about how easy it was or how hard it was. I noticed with my n6-1 I had to time everything perfectly, and if I didn't, I wouldn't get the serve I wanted (It'd lack either pace, placement, getting in, etc..). I noticed that with longer rackets, pace was really easy to produce so I just focused some more on my form, and it actually just made everything that much easier. When I went back and looked at the results, they came as followed.
N6-1 95 Flat Serves : 18/50 Kick Serves : 30/50
RDX300 SupMid Flat serves : 34/50 Kick serves :28/50
LM Instinct XL Flat serves : 33/50 Kick Serves : 36/50
My friends walmart racket Flat serves : 22/50 Kick Serves : 15/50
BPD+ Flat serves : 39/50 Kick Serves : 35/50
etc etc..
I've come again to the forums to ask for some suggestions. Mainly what I am looking for is something that plays similar to the n6-1 95 off the ground and is just a tad lighter. No more than 11.7 oz should be fine.. Rackets I have considered are the Radical, the nTour, the LM Instinct XL (The bit of extra length compensates the slight heaviness), BPD+, and a few others I can't think of. I've tried all of these, and of them I really liked the Instinct XL and the BPD+, though it might only be due to the fact I was so happy with my serve (perhaps I'm too bent on it?). I'm open to any suggestions, any price range. If you wish for me to tell you about my game, I will. But if this is all you need, all the better..

Bottle Rocket
01-26-2006, 12:32 AM
I need this deleted... :(

Bottle Rocket
01-26-2006, 12:37 AM
Try the nPro Surge X. I think that is what Wilson calls it.

They have two Surge rackets. One of them is a DIRECT competitor of the Pure Drive Team +... Definitely give that a try. It's 27.5 inches in length and will be very similar in feel to your current Wilson.

If you liked the PD, give it another try... It's a great racket.

ace of spades
01-26-2006, 05:59 AM
Try out that new 03 white. Its like a pure drive but i heard its better, and equal at serving. weight is (11.3)

jonolau
01-26-2006, 06:10 AM
Frankly speaking, by demoing so many racquets and leaving so many open options, you're confusing yourself even more.

I would suggest that you go back to the basics.

Just a couple of questions:

How do you rate your level of play?
What areas of your game are you looking to improve?

tom-selleck
01-26-2006, 06:29 AM
good thread, very interesting..

seems pretty obvious which racket would be best for your serve (although i was cheering for the wal-mart racquet:confused: :confused: )

of course, then you have to make sure that the LM instinct XL is good for the rest of your game.

i've come to really realize that different racquets are best for different things (i'd even wager that the wal-mart racquet might be excellent for certain shots).

so you have to analyze strengths/weaknesses and come to a decision on the racquet... just make sure that the drawbacks of the racquet you choose are managable. and it seems you've made the decision (probably the correct one) that the nCode penalizes you too much on the serve.

for me, i've changed to a hps 6.1 (similar to ncode 95) and found it excellent for alot of shots EXCEPT 2HB, return of serve (double-count? as it mostly 2HB) and defensive topspin from baseline... but it's winter here so i haven't given it huge test-drive (even though i bot it already) or major wall-hitting session where i can experiment (one of the best things about hitting against wall for hours is that you can experiment and have the ball spraying all over the place)

zcarzach
01-26-2006, 07:22 AM
Before you buy a new racket, why not try stringing the N6.1 95 with something else or a different tensions. The n6.1 is a fine racquet, has a lot of pop when set up right. If I were you, I would try gut or a quality substitute like NXT at around 54 or 55. That would most likely give you more pop on the serve and groundies. The weight of the racquet alone should get you some pop. Good luck!

Kaptain Karl
01-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Frankly speaking, by demoing so many racquets and leaving so many open options, you're confusing yourself even more.Actually, I disagree. So long as you have a process or a system for demoes, you'll be fine. Using a system will help you quickly elliminate those sticks which don't deserve your consideration.

It does take a while -- and can be frustrating. Here's my detailed approach to demoes (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=683156&postcount=7). Who said "anal"??!!!)

Before you buy a new racket, why not try stringing the N6.1 95 with something else or a different tensions. The n6.1 is a fine racquet, has a lot of pop when set up right....This is good advice. You may find that some properly placed lead ... different strings ... different tensions ... can provide you subtle advantages (which are WAY less expensive than buying new sticks).

... i've come to really realize that different racquets are best for different things (i'd even wager that the wal-mart racquet might be excellent for certain shots)."Maybe...." But with the hundreds of choices of sticks ... and the multiple possibilities for setting them up I believe you can find a single racket which will be "IT" for all your desires. (I just think too many people don't bother demo-ing correctly ... or they give up on the setups too fast.)

- KK

Marius_Hancu
01-26-2006, 11:20 AM
with the heavier racquets, you must toss more into the court to use racquet's inertia

if using the 18x20 6.1 95, you should string lower, perhaps about 52-55 and see the results

you might want to test 6.1 90 Tour, it has less swingweight, even if more weight, than 95

you might want to consider Head Flexpoint Radical Tour, it's lighter than 6.1 95, still a solid racquet

Prince O3 Tour or White also ...

also, yes, don't focus only on the serve ... check your overall match results with various racquets ...

FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

jackson vile
01-26-2006, 11:21 AM
I need a bit of help with selecting a new racket.. Currently I am using the Wilson N6-1 95 with Alu Power Rough at 60 lbs (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-WN6195.html ) I love this racket to be honest, I've been using it for nearly a year now. I've always had a.. lacking serve. The power was hard to generate and consistancy was a big issue. Recently, when my strings had popped I had been borrowing friends rackets (things from the RDX300 SuperMid, some of those 20 dollar walmart rackets, etc), and I noticed my serve was.. phenominal with these (at least in comparison with my old racket) and this led me to believe that the racket is simply too heavy for me to wield on the serve.. even if I think that I can handle it. I was naive to think I'd be able to handle it, telling myself that "this is the best tennis I've played in my life" was due only because the racket forced me to use proper form etc, and now its engrained into my body. Now I've realized that the players racket IS NOT FOR ME. I CANNOT handle it, I AM NOT good enough to use it.

To make sure it wasnt just in my head and it was just a few lucky serves. I did a small test. On different days I went out and served 50 balls and recorded which ones went in, and thought about how easy it was or how hard it was. I noticed with my n6-1 I had to time everything perfectly, and if I didn't, I wouldn't get the serve I wanted (It'd lack either pace, placement, getting in, etc..). I noticed that with longer rackets, pace was really easy to produce so I just focused some more on my form, and it actually just made everything that much easier. When I went back and looked at the results, they came as followed.
N6-1 95 Flat Serves : 18/50 Kick Serves : 30/50
RDX300 SupMid Flat serves : 34/50 Kick serves :28/50
LM Instinct XL Flat serves : 33/50 Kick Serves : 36/50
My friends walmart racket Flat serves : 22/50 Kick Serves : 15/50
BPD+ Flat serves : 39/50 Kick Serves : 35/50
etc etc..
I've come again to the forums to ask for some suggestions. Mainly what I am looking for is something that plays similar to the n6-1 95 off the ground and is just a tad lighter. No more than 11.7 oz should be fine.. Rackets I have considered are the Radical, the nTour, the LM Instinct XL (The bit of extra length compensates the slight heaviness), BPD+, and a few others I can't think of. I've tried all of these, and of them I really liked the Instinct XL and the BPD+, though it might only be due to the fact I was so happy with my serve (perhaps I'm too bent on it?). I'm open to any suggestions, any price range. If you wish for me to tell you about my game, I will. But if this is all you need, all the better..

You problem is due to either your string and tension (not sure why you would put that in 95?)

But consider this, the swing weight is may be too high for you not alowing you to accelerate the head to a high enough speed for the serve.

This same thing happend to my wife when using the LMIXL, she was just fine every where else but there.

So I suggest you take off the head gaurd and restring with a soft string

You do not want to go with a lighter weight racket you will regreat it as that is not the problem, the SW is what is making the racket hard to swing not the static weight, if you go to something like a LMIXL you will suffer the same problem.

If you go with a lighter racket you will feel its unstableness, you want 12.1 and up not down, if you restring with a softer poly such a pro plasma, heck try gut for once, other wise a synthetic. You need to try that first other wise you are going to lose a heck of a lot of time and money that will hold you back, just ask my wife put her back 1 year from her comeback that is a year she will never get back.

Fumoffu
01-26-2006, 03:52 PM
My thanks to everyone who has posted. I've considered trying to restring my racket, however the main reason why I got the alu powers was because I kept popping the strings >_> Normally I can pop multis in 8-10 hours of play, and I really don't have all too much money.. (I'm only 14! I can't even get a job) When Jackson spoke of how I'd feel the unstableness, I was really quite surprised! It was true, that was one point I did not put into my post.

My game is a game with lots of variety, my strategy is to keep my opponent constantly off balance and guessing. I've no idea of my rating, but I'm going to take a wild guess and throw out 3.0 since most people say thats where people get stuck. With my n6-1, it offered me enough stability to hit just about anything I wanted (except the serve >_>). My strengths are my forehand, slice, drop shots, and my volleys. I'm able to hit both topspin and slice on both wings (though, people don't normally slice off the forehand, I do it now and then off a short high ball, almost like a volley but I add some side spin so that it bounces away from the court..). I consider myself an all-court player with more confidence at net than at the baseline. I'll go up 1/2 the time. Able to produce pace and placement on any of the shots (except the serve..) and I'm speedy. Short, only at like 5'6 (Damn the asian blood in me!)

I believed the racket allows me to do so many things because its really stable, and yet I tried to do these shots with other rackets and they were, well, good! I used to think things like the Pure Drive was "too powerful to control" and stuff, but that was only because of my bad form. Now, when I'm using it, I merely appreciate all the ease of hitting a winner. Shots that'd take like 90% only take like 70%. My shots.. didn't change at all. I was amazed, nothing had changed no matter what I had used. The O3 tour, a PD, a flexpoint, it just didn't matter.. I finally started to feel like a tennis player. I had then tried and gone back to my n6-1 with my newfound confidence. It turns out that my serve was.. okay. I was getting the same pace off it, its just that it was long sometimes, and hitting a confident kick serve was hard.

Okay, reading over this I've come to see that I'm getting off topic and I'm quite sorry. When it comes right down to it, it might not be "just" the racket. I think the next time I string it I'll try a lower tension and come back and report..

vkartikv
01-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Regardless of your level of seriousness/desire to play and considering only your budget, I would suggest the radical or the tt warrior. I found both to be very good on serves, the warrior probably the best on kick serves.

You can demo all these racquets and save some money (instead of buying something outright) but in the end, its all about how far you need to take your game and how much you are willing to spend on it. If money is not an issue, the surge X or PD + may be good options, but also look at how stiff they are....

czech09
01-26-2006, 04:47 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=83956

Read my response in that thread and you should be set.

jonolau
01-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Actually, I disagree. So long as you have a process or a system for demoes, you'll be fine. Using a system will help you quickly elliminate those sticks which don't deserve your consideration.
When I first read his post, he did appear confused, or perhaps I was slightly confused by it!

Fumoffu
01-26-2006, 10:30 PM
When I first read his post, he did appear confused, or perhaps I was slightly confused by it!
Ouch, sorry for being unclear..

jonolau
01-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Ouch, sorry for being unclear..
Ha ha, no worries, mate. I guess it's one of those situations when you have tons of ideas in mind that it's difficult to put down on paper ...

Good luck with your racquet selection.