PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RDX 500mp vs ProKennex Pro 5G...

Shyyre
01-26-2006, 06:57 AM
hey all, i did a searcha nd read a lot of older responses about the rdx being an arm friendly racquet if you use a soft string... i love my pro 5g's and plan to keep using them, but i've heard so many good things about the rdx that i want to check one out... at least to demo...

so i'm basically just writing this to see what people have to say about the two if you have played with both, or the rdx in particular... i was wondering about power levels as well... i'm not sure that the prokennex pro 5g has enough power for me. now that i've had it through several string jobs...

also, i know that there are several versions of the rdx 500 and i would probably want the one with the biggest head size, so if anyone can comment on that...

thanx in advance

North
01-26-2006, 07:11 AM
I demoed the RDX500MP and didn't like it. It felt, despite the specs, closer to even than HL balanced (I can't explain why) and, as a result, was harder for me to maneuver at the net. It was harder to get good feel on touch shots with the RDX and occasionally felt a little jarring to my arm returning very hard hit balls. I found the RDX lower powered than the 5G, which is somwhat too high powered for me though I have gotten used to it. The RDX was about the same from the baseline on groundstrokes as the 5G, not nearly as good on volleys, and only marginally better on serves. This is just what I found for me - a lot of people love the RDX. I'm a 4.0 S&Ver mostly (all-court, when I have to be) and am not at all a power hitter.

fred-s
01-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Although their weight and swingweight are nearly identical, I found the 5g to play lighter and swing easier, but not drive thru the ball as well. The 5g suits me better, but if you prefer a somewhat heavier swinging frame you might prefer the rdx mp. I felt I have more control with the 5g and can hit better when I have a little less time to set up. With time to set up, the rdx hits a heavier ball.

SteveI
01-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Although their weight and swingweight are nearly identical, I found the 5g to play lighter and swing easier, but not drive thru the ball as well. The 5g suits me better, but if you prefer a somewhat heavier swinging frame you might prefer the rdx mp. I felt I have more control with the 5g and can hit better when I have a little less time to set up. With time to set up, the rdx hits a heavier ball.

BTW,

The Old .. pre-2001 5Gs play quite different than the new 5Gs. If you can get your hands on one.. it plays much more like a players frame IMHO. I was never in love with the RDX500MP. Check out the compar.. review Nobad did on it.. it tells the story on that frame to a tee. My impressions of that frame are very close to what NoBad reported.

Regards,
Steve

HappyLefty
01-26-2006, 10:45 AM
I've tried RDX500 MP and Ki10.
When using RDX I nedd to have a very good early preparation. I can't hit last-second shots and is kind of heavy for my arm. This stick has great control.

In the other hand, my Ki10 is leaded at 6" (see my signature) and is more maneuvable for those last-second shots. Less power because its weight.