PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding these three 17g polys

Dennis Chan
01-26-2006, 08:33 AM
(sorry if this has been discussed...)

Prince Polygut $4.95
Unique Big Hitter $6.95
Signum Pro PP $8.90

I use natural gut in the mains and poly in the cross. Currently I'm using Prince polygut. The unique and signum are a little more expensive but in a hybrid job they won't cost too much more.

If I use either of them instead of the prince, will there be any obvious advantage gained?

Thanks in advance.

DANMAN
01-26-2006, 08:38 AM
I have never played with Polygut, but I think the Big Hitter is fantastic--as good as or better than ALU in all categories. Poly Plasma did not really impress me as I thought it held tension but lost elasticity and was therefore a tight string with no liveliness, resulting in no power.

Gaines Hillix
01-26-2006, 08:41 AM
IMO, in a full job the Signum PPP is softer and a bit more powerful than the Big Hitter. All else being equal, I think you'd have a hard time telling the difference in your hybrid setup unless you're one of the 1 in a 100 players who are very sensitive to suptle differences in strings.

Richie Rich
01-26-2006, 09:49 AM
I have never played with Polygut, but I think the Big Hitter is fantastic--as good as or better than ALU in all categories.

got danman's back here. big hitter plays just like alu. stiffer than polygut and SPP but in a hybrid as a cross with gut won't matter too much.

BrreakPoint
01-26-2006, 10:26 AM
I'd been playing with the ALU BIG BANGER for the last couple of years and recently decided to try UNIQUE's BIG HITTER due to all the positive feedback on this forum. I was pleasantly surprised w/the BIG HITTER and now actually like it better than BIG BANGER. I think BIG HITTER plays very much like BIG BANGER but has a "softer" more comfortable feel to it.

I find it interesting that you are using a poly string with the gut.....the resilience is so different btwn those two string I wouldn't think the two strings would work well together ? In any case, I can verify that the UNIQUE BIG HITTER is a quality poly string.

I'm now very curious to try the SIGNUM PPP string.........

Dennis Chan
01-26-2006, 01:52 PM
I use poly in the cross for several reasons. Most were actually from reading others' experience.

1. Save $$$ (most playing characteristics are from the gut mains)
2. Tame the power of the gut
3. Minimize string movement (if I use syn cross the strings will move like crazy)

This setup has been working well for me and the gut always breaks first but normally lasts more than 20 hours.

cheecl
01-27-2006, 07:12 PM
I previously used Prince Syntetic Gut Duraflex 16 to cross the ALU Power Rough 16L mains...the PSGD would break after about 8hours of play. Not a very economical option cos you would waste on stringing and have to cut off what is still very good condition mains.

Would advise you to use a full poly set-up, unless that is, if you have arm problems.

Stan
01-27-2006, 10:19 PM
If you're going with a full poly setup, the Plasma is the way to go. It is the softest and most comfortable of those you listed. It is also IMO one of the better values. It holds tension/playability much better than earlier polys. It costs a couple $'s more than the others you have listed here, but it's the best of the bunch.

As for the most comfortable poly, that would have to be the Topspin Poly Polar. This one is stretchy going in, but holds tension better than those listed (except for the Plasma) and is about the same price as the Big Hitter. (It can sometimes be found on the auction site in reels for a good price.)