PDA

View Full Version : Nat. Gut on RDX500s; any comments?

Ripper
01-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Your experience with both the Mids and the MPs would be appreciated.

Ripper
01-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Or is there some cult rule stating that you can't use anything but Yonex multis on them? :eek: :D

TripleB
01-26-2006, 12:03 PM
I used Bow Brand 15L natural gut in my RDX500 MP and didn't care for it at all. Maybe it was the drastic change in going from a poly/mono hybrid straight to an all natural gut stringing or perhaps it was the fact that I went from a 16L to a 15L string but whatever the case, the string bed felt like I was hitting with a trampoline and I seemed to have absolutely no control when I was playing (and I did string it about 7 or 8 pounds higher than what I strung the poly at).

The strange thing was that even though the string bed felt like a trampoline (ie: extra stretchy), I wasn't getting any more power out of the racquet....it just felt like the ball stayed on the face of the racquet too long (very hard to explain how it stays on the string bed longer but I don't get any more power out of it).

Anyway, all this is meant to say that I didn't like the feel of natural gut in the RDX500 Midplus....and my wallet appreciates that!!!

TripleB

Bora
01-26-2006, 12:11 PM
I always use pacific gut mains and basic synthetic crosses without complaint, on my 500 Mid

Ripper
01-30-2006, 08:20 AM
I used Bow Brand 15L natural gut in my RDX500 MP and didn't care for it at all. Maybe it was the drastic change in going from a poly/mono hybrid straight to an all natural gut stringing or perhaps it was the fact that I went from a 16L to a 15L string but whatever the case, the string bed felt like I was hitting with a trampoline and I seemed to have absolutely no control when I was playing (and I did string it about 7 or 8 pounds higher than what I strung the poly at)....

Exactly what tension did you use with the nat. gut?

armand
01-30-2006, 08:51 AM
You can do a search and find more information but here's me:
I use KLiP Legend 16 on my RDX500 90 strung at 62/60.5 and I'm lovin' it. I get more power, better feel, more control, more spin, better durablity, a larger sweetspot and a more unified response across the stringbed(I used to use NXT 16).
After the initial slight tension drop, I found it a little mushy so I removed some weight from the racquet to bring back the crispyness(went from 12.85 ounces to 12.6).
Next, I'll be trying BDE 16 and after that, Tonic+ 16. But it'll be a while because I'm not a string breaker and these strings last extremely well.

Kevo
01-30-2006, 01:18 PM
I've played with gut up to 65lbs. on my RDX 500 mid, and I find it to be too powerful. I do like to swing like I am swatting a swarm of bees though, so it may be fine for most people. I pretty much liked everything else. Feel, control, comfort, durability, and spin all seemed to be very good. I just couldn't hit out without hitting out. ;-)

TripleB
01-31-2006, 04:36 AM
Exactly what tension did you use with the nat. gut?

63 pounds I believe.

TripleB