PDA

View Full Version : trying to string a one piece

yourserve
01-26-2006, 10:37 AM
i am a stringer with a little experience, but i have not strung any one
piece jobs as of yet. i have a young lady wanting a walmart racquet
strung. it is a wilson 16X20 hope/breast cancer racquets.
i tryed to talk her into just buying a new one, but she insists on re-
stringing. i think i understand the pattern well enough to try. i think
i need to do the mains and skip the last one and start the crosses and
come back to the top with the last main.
if this seems correct then my only problem is how much string to use
for the first mains [short side?] i am trying to keep some youth involved
in tennis and hope i can make this work.
thanks in advance for any advice.

norcal
01-26-2006, 10:50 AM
You should be able to tell which holes to skip by the impressions left in the grommets by the old string.

Once you thread the string through the center holes leave yourself between 8'1/2 to 9' of string on the short side and you should be fine.

Sixpointone
01-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Hi Yourserve,

Additionally I wanted to add that many String Patterns are available at WilsonTennis.com.

Hope that helps,
John

Gaines Hillix
01-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Write down the holes that are skipped by main strings and which holes are being used for tieoffs. You also need to know where the mains end. If the mains end at the throat, it sounds like the ATW pattern you are suggesting should work. You will need about 1' of string for each main that you will install on the short side for that side. 10' of string on the short side is enough for almost any racquet, but in the case where you are doing an ATW pattern with 16 mains and you are leaving off the last main on the shortside, 7-8' should be plenty. You use the rest for the long side mains, the last cross at the bottom, then the last main on the short side and then the rest of the crosses from the top down finishing at the 2nd to last cross.

yourserve
01-27-2006, 03:29 AM
thanks guys, it worked. it was a 16 x 20 and i skipped the last main on the
long side and came back to the top with the last main. now, if you had
16 x 19 does that mean you would need to skip the last two mains to have
the pattern work out to where you come back to the top with the last main?

i was so glad to get this thing strung that almost did the ren & stimpy happy
dance.

Gaines Hillix
01-27-2006, 06:18 AM
thanks guys, it worked. it was a 16 x 20 and i skipped the last main on the
long side and came back to the top with the last main. now, if you had
16 x 19 does that mean you would need to skip the last two mains to have
the pattern work out to where you come back to the top with the last main?

i was so glad to get this thing strung that almost did the ren & stimpy happy
dance.

The number of mains you leave off doesn't vary, but where you start the crosses does depending on whether you have an even or odd # of them.

After you've tied off your short side mains, leave the last main on your long side unstrung. Then count your cross string holes from throat to head. Your total will be either even (16, 18, 20) or odd (17, 19, 21). When even, start your top cross at first cross grommet and continue by installing all crosses and then finish by installing the last main (be sure to weave it correctly). When odd, start your first cross at the second cross grommet and continue by installing all crosses and then finish by installing the last main and then the top cross.

Also, let's be clear here. This thread was posted with a subject of stringing one piece, but this is not the standard one piece pattern/method and doing so may void the warranty on some racquets, aka Head.

yourserve
01-27-2006, 06:43 AM
cool, thanks gaines. so glad you are back posting again.
and i sure you already know this, but i will tell you again
YOU ARE THE MAN!
i printed this thread so i can refer to it in the future.