PDA

View Full Version : Nalbandian please take six months or......

Mr Topspin
01-26-2006, 01:59 PM
...you will never win a grand slam.

You have a solid game and if you had for example the serve of the young Greek Cypriot that kicked ur butt today you would have won a couple of slams by now.

I suggest you take the time off and remodel your serve so that you can hit (130mph + ) various serves, such as flat and slice and penetrating kick serves. Speak to Henin for the benefits of this change. You should also change your approach to tennis and stop playing counter punch. Instead you should model your game on Agassi and watch his old dvd's and see how he dominated players with his groundies. There is absolutely no reason why you can't do the same. You have a good attacking game and an excellent defence but you tend to crawl back into your shell when you shoud be on the offense. Please, please Nalbandian you could be the Agassi to Federer's Sampras in this era.

Please implement these changes as soon as possible or you will be a perennial underachiever throwing game after game.

Please learn from today's painful defeat or you will never realise your dreams.

And remember "after every dark night there's a brighter day, so keep ur head up, stick ur chest out and handle it".

2Pac

Shabazza
01-26-2006, 02:09 PM

You have a solid game and if you had for example the serve of the young Greek Cypriot that kicked ur butt today you would have won a couple of slams by now.

I suggest you take the time off and remodel your serve so that you can hit (130mph + ) various serves, such as flat and slice and penetrating kick serves. Speak to Henin for the benefits of this change. You should also change your approach to tennis and stop playing counter punch. Instead you should model your game on Agassi and watch his old dvd's and see how he dominated players with his groundies. There is absolutely no reason why you can't do the same. You have a good attacking game and an excellent defence but you tend to crawl back into your shell when you shoud be on the offense. Please, please Nalbandian you could be the Agassi to Federer's Sampras in this era.

Please implement these changes as soon as possible or you will be a perennial underachiever throwing game after game.

And remember "after every dark night there's a brighter day, so keep ur head up, stick ur chest out and handle it".

2Pac

all that in just 6 month :eek:

Moose Malloy
01-26-2006, 02:12 PM
And try doing some crunches during that 6 months. Your belly is a little emabarassing for a pro athlete.

ACE of Hearts
01-26-2006, 02:14 PM
The one thing i agreed with u is that he needs to get better with the serve!I think he is the only one, u can never count on Safin cause he is always injured, to test Roger.

The tennis guy
01-26-2006, 02:16 PM
I think he is the only one, u can never count on Safin cause he is always injured, to test Roger.
Just don't agree with the assessment that he is only one can test Federer. I said the same thing before his loss last night: people are talking about Nalbandian like he is a great player already - a little bit overboard.

pound cat
01-26-2006, 02:17 PM
FOR the second time in a grand slam semi-final, David Nalbandian had his opponent at the exit door but couldn't push him through.

Contrast ... Nalbandian can't believe he's out. Pic: Associated Press

Video: Mauresmo, Henin-Hardenne to face off
LIVE: Real-time scores from the Open

Instead, unseeded Marcos Baghdatis will be playing in Sunday's Australian Open men's singles final and No.4 seed Nalbandian is pondering how on earth he is not.

Everything that could have gone against the Argentinean's younger, lower-ranked opponent in his first grand slam semi-final did.

Two sets to love down, two breaks of serve against him in the deciding fifth set, arguably the worst-timed rain delay in Australian Open history, then an horrendous overrule by the chair umpire against Baghdatis on match point.

All could have broken Baghdatis.

None did.

The 20-year-old fought back from the two-set deficit, rode Nalbandian's unforced errors to break back twice in the deciding set, broke the Argentinean to take the lead, then emerged from a 25-minute rain delay to close out an epic semi-final 3-6 5-7 6-3 6-4 6-4.

It was instead Nalbandian left searching for post-match answers, and as he did so often at crucial times last night, coming up short.

Advertisement:
"I get a lot of chances to win the match. I can't understand how I missed the opportunity to win," Nalbandian said.
He who refused to offer an abdominal injury which appeared to hamper his serve from the second set onwards as an excuse for his demise.

The capitulation had eerie echoes of Nalbandian's 2003 US Open semi-final nightmare against Andy Roddick, in which he had match point in a tie-break at two sets up and somehow lost in five.

"Nearly man" is a tag starting to stick with Nalbandian, who hasn't reached a grand slam final since his 2002 breakthrough at Wimbledon in which he lost a lopsided decider in straight sets to Lleyton Hewitt.

Since then, he's made the quarter-finals of grand slam tournaments five times and the semi-finals three times, never quite managing to finish the job.

When asked if he would take anything positive away from the experience of being beaten last night, Nalbandian said: "Yeah".

He didn't elaborate.

He will know all about what he may or may not have learned the next time we see him at the pointy end of a grand slam.

AAP

Chopin
01-26-2006, 02:20 PM
And try doing some crunches during that 6 months. Your belly is a little emabarassing for a pro athlete.

He's one of the fittest players on tour.

dennis1188
01-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Just watched this match the second time. Yes, Nab, lost both his last two service games in the fifth set without scoring a point. Nab, lost eight straight points on own his serve, while up a break in the fifth! Great, match.... go Bags.

counterpunch
01-26-2006, 03:26 PM

well i wouldnt say kicked his butt. he had him down 2 sets and for all the world looked like he had it. it was a competitive match and a good comeback by a guy playing out of his mind. nalby will be back and ready for the FO and make another deep run, possibly to the quarters of all 4 GSs, as i feel he is the player that is most versatile regarding sufaces, with the exception of fedex of course.

federerforever
01-26-2006, 03:30 PM
All of you are forgetting that Bagdattis could be Federer's biggest rival this decade. Even if he loses in straight sets this Sunday it won't mean anything because he had a million times tougher draw and has all the right to claim that he is exhausted at this point. I still clearly remember that second round match in 2004 US Open where Bagdattis won one set with Federer. He was clearly in control of the match until that slight injurry in his neck and if not for that then Bagdattis could have taken Federer to five sets. And Bagdattis was then only 19 while Federer was king of the world at 23 years of age. I really don't see any flaws in Bagdattis game at the moment. He is like Federer but with a two handed backhand. His movement, raquet speed and forehand are nearly identical.

Alexandros
01-26-2006, 03:32 PM
He's one of the fittest players on tour.

He definitely doesn't lose five set matches because of a lack of fitness, but that doesn't change the fact that he has a gut. Perhaps he's like a camel and draws off it as a fat reserve? :p

PM_
01-26-2006, 03:36 PM

2Pac
Class dismissed.

counterpunch
01-26-2006, 04:35 PM
oh just stfu people, baghdatis has one tournament and now he is federers rival of the decade. give me a fricken break........biggest bandwagons ive ever seen. i think a rivalry implies more than 1 meeting and one "they might play", and he will have to beat fed for it to be a rivalry, which i just dont see in the near future.

West Coast Ace
01-26-2006, 05:20 PM
A little harsh on Nalbandian. I didn't see the match - but sometimes the momentum turns around and you can't turn it back. Sh*t happens. His unfortunately happened and the whole (tennis) world heard about it.

As far as the 'gut', he looks pretty lean otherwise and has gone 5 sets more than a few times. Some people just have spots they can't get the fat out of. Ever hear the expression 'form follows function'? (Frank Lloyd Wright - world famous architect). I can't recall the guy with the best abs ever getting any bonus points...

skip1969
01-26-2006, 05:48 PM
poor old nal. i feel bad for him. he seems fit enough to me. okay, maybe his serving is a bit ordinary or predictable. but maybe what he lacks is belief. i mean, mentally he doesn't look very strong out there. and apparently, all the other guys know it (which gives them an edge before the first ball is struck).

you know those players who seem untouchable, who can steamroll the crap outta you before you've had a chance to straighten out your strings and double knot your laces. well, nal ain't one of those. with him, you gotta figure there's always a chance to pull it out in five (or three). the longer he's out there, the stronger your chances. he's so mentally fragile. maybe he just doesn't have that killer instinct to beat people down into complete and utter submission. after the first set and a half . . . he should've had the youngin' cryin' into his aussie open towel on the changeovers. instead, a couple hours later he's scurrying out of laver like a man who's been jilted at the altar.

roundiesee
01-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Saw practically the entire match; up to the point 6-3 5-1 for Nalby, he was winning so easily that I had the impulse to turn off the set. Somehow he let Marcos B back into the match, although he eventually won the second set 7-5, the momentum had swung. Nalbandian somehow was not able to apply the killer blow to finish off his opponent and that had cost him the match. I don't think Nalby needs to modify his game that much but rather work to improve his mental strength; he has a tendency to get "lazy" when things are going well for him and not make the full effort to finish the job. For those who were lucky enough to watch that set and a half, we could all see how good the Argentine was. Too bad he's not in the final this year because a Nalby-Fed confrontation would have been intruiging.........

bcaz
01-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Wow, Bandy ... looking ahead and blowing the match to the kid, choking on a colossal lead ... Bandy was salivating about playing his pigeon, Federer, in the final, but doesn't get there ...

opiate
01-26-2006, 09:26 PM
about bandy's gut, there's some possible explanation of why he has a "hanging gut" as opposed to a gut for flies to skid right off...

"Conventional wisdom has it that athletes should have flat stomachs. But we don't find this to be true. Stomachs can only be flat when the muscles are tense and microfibers have formed around them, making them inflexible. Much of the work we do these days with elite and amateur athletes is undoing the damage to their stomach muscles from sit ups and other 'core work'. Sit ups and 'core work' overuse the stomach muscles, making them sore and stiff. When this happens, the connective tissue between the muscles develops microfibers to help immobilize and repair the muscles. These microfibers bind the area together so that it can heal. Unfortunately, once the soreness has passed, the microfibers not only do not go away, they tend to accumulate over time, making the stomach muscles progressively stiffer as the athletes get older.

When you inhale, the stomach muscles need to stretch, otherwise the diaphragm has to work harder. This extra work fatigues the diaphragm, creating a feeling of effort and fatigue in the athlete. In addition, tight stomach muscles prevent the rib cage from expanding easily, and thereby add to the work of taking in air. Federer's stomach muscles are relaxed, making his breathing easy and increasing the amount of oxygen he takes in during the match. Roddick's stomach muscles are tight, restricting his oxygen intake and making every breath more effortful. Even though it flies in the face of conventional wisdom, relaxed stomach muscles can only make any athlete's job easier."

The above are not my words... it's http://www.somaxsports.com
Probably should be taken with a grain of salt or two.

VamosRafa
01-26-2006, 10:31 PM
I watched the whole match. David didn't lose because of his game; he lost for the reasons Ljubicic said he would lose. He didn't keep it together mentally, and played very nervous tennis when it counted. In contrast, Marcos just went for it and played aggressively. And that was the right move against Nalbandian.

VamosRafa
01-26-2006, 10:33 PM
I watched the whole match. David didn't lose because of his game; he lost for the reasons Ljubicic said he would lose. He didn't keep it together mentally, and played very nervous tennis when it counted. In contrast, Marcos just went for it and played aggressively. And that was the right move against Nalbandian.

I don't think David got lazy at all. I just think he doesn't handle the pressure situations well; he's know for it; and players make him pay the price for it all the time. Which is why, he's generally the bridesmaid and never the bride (so to speak).

jings
01-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Have to say I never quite understood the logic that Bandy would come out of the TMC in Shanghai a more dangerous player. He as good as choked that match away and only for the fact that Federer was about as match fit as me that week meant he escaped by the narrowest of margins. Tennis game top ten, mind game top 100. The draw had opened up for him so well in that lower half and if ever he had a chance to final again in a Grand Slam, this was as good as look as you get ... 2 sets and break up in the third of a final against a top 60 player ... His serve is not his biggest problem.

Mr Topspin
01-27-2006, 04:04 PM
The point i made is still valid if Nalbandian had a more reliable serve he would be able to get out of trouble more frequently and especially when he's groundies are off. There are so many times when top players are struggling with their game but are serving there way out of trouble.

croatian sensation
01-28-2006, 04:16 AM
Some people just have spots they can't get the fat out of. Ever hear the expression 'form follows function'? (Frank Lloyd Wright - world famous architect). I can't recall the guy with the best abs ever getting any bonus points...

Yeah...look at Coria's abs...jaw-dropping ;) and look at his game...