PDA

View Full Version : Discuss this comment from Luke Jensen

FalconX
01-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Jensen whose highest singles ranking was in mid hunderds and wasn't that special as a doubles player either made this point in his column on ESPN.

The biggest flaw of clay court players such as Nalbandian, Guillermo Coria or Rafael Nadal is that they lack a knockout punch. They are grinders on the court, but they can play only so long when an opponent knows they don't have that one shot that can put him away.

First off I wouldn't exactly call Nalbandian a clay courter. His best results seem to come on hard courts. Secondly Nadal can rip that backhand pretty good given the opportunity. And he can flatten out that forehand occasionally as well although that's getting away from his game. His spin on the forehand is his biggest weapon. And what about Kuerten's backhand?Arguably one of the the most effective one-handed backhands ever if not the most effective one.

And where does agassi aka "ultimate hard court ball basher" fit in this picture? During the second phase of his career he rarely ever went for winners.

West Coast Ace
01-26-2006, 02:32 PM
He obviously screwed up putting Nadal's name in there - his forehand is huge.

But I disagree with you about Agassi. He does go for winners - in a more mature fashion as opposed to his young bashing days - and even when he doesn't get a lot he's still punishing his opponent. Maybe it's not a knockout punch, but he's in control of most of the rallys and wears down his opponent.

FalconX
01-26-2006, 02:40 PM
agassi IMO has neither a huge forehand, nor a really big backhand. His biggest asset is taking time away from the opponent by taking the ball early and sitting on top of the baseline which go hand in hand and result in Agassi taking control of the point. But if he can't set himelf up for that he's in trouble. Agassi on the run isn't that good.

BigboyDan
01-26-2006, 03:12 PM
agassi IMO has neither a huge forehand, nor a really big backhand.

He use to; inside-out forehand crosscourt, and a flat crosscourt backhand, both used for winners. They were beautiful...

D-man
01-26-2006, 03:15 PM
that's totally screwed , nalby can certainly hit winners with the best of them

dmastous
01-26-2006, 03:24 PM
agassi IMO has neither a huge forehand, nor a really big backhand. His biggest asset is taking time away from the opponent by taking the ball early and sitting on top of the baseline which go hand in hand and result in Agassi taking control of the point. But if he can't set himelf up for that he's in trouble. Agassi on the run isn't that good.
Agassi's forehand was the biggest in the game in '88 when he started.
His reputation at the time as a two toned forehand and was earned.
He still has the ability to hit that huge forehand, but now the rest of tennis can hit it as well. So it's not as big compared to the current crop of players.
I agree in principle with Luke Jenson. He may have got the names wrong, but the run-of-the-mill clay courter doesn't have a knockout shot. They have to maneouver the point and take advantage of an opening, or just wear out his opponent. Plus, knockout shots on hard courts or grass are frequently not knockout shots on clay.

Bertchel Banks
01-26-2006, 03:53 PM
He use to; inside-out forehand crosscourt, and a flat crosscourt backhand, both used for winners. They were beautiful...

I love that shot.

ACE of Hearts
01-26-2006, 04:05 PM
I think he needs to take Nalbandian off that list, i dont know about Nadal, he still needs to answer alot of questions on the hardcourts!

iscottius
01-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Luke Jensens' Quote is accurate.