PDA

View Full Version : DNX8 REVIEW: Whoa baby....it's a

drak
01-26-2006, 03:54 PM
WINNER!

Now this is one nice stick. After I strung it up and was swinging it around (the house) it reminded me of another frame, as does it shape. That frame is not the Babs PD, it is the PK Laver type S - IMO the best serving and vollying 27 inch tweener (for me) that I have ever played with. I just could not hit good groundies with the PK Laver so I said goodbye.

So I get to the club a little early and hit some serves, hmmm I think, this racket now really reminds me of the PK as I am bombing serves (for me- remember I am an average serving 4.5 player). Keep in mind I now use and like a Cat8 VE. So I play two hard sets of singles and here is my review.

This is one excellent all around stick, definitely more pop all around then the Cat, but controllable. This racket rewards a full "smooth swing" - it took me a while to adjust because with the Vat8 VE I have to swing very hard and fast if I really wanted to generate significant pace. With the DNX8 I found it easy to generate pace on goundies, hits top and slice with ease, and actually hits a very nice flat ball.

I'll compare to my Cat8 VE first

Serve: NO contest, DNX8 clear winner here. I added 10 mph with a smooth motion, placement was better and I served great for me. Second serve was better with more action. For a 27 inch frame this is one of the best servers I have ever hit with - again like the PK Laver S.

Volleys - Basically a great volleying stick, on par with the Cat8 VE. Not much difference.

Groundies - with the added power with a smooth swing, good top and slice, and still good control I have to give a modest edge to the DNX8 - keep in mind the extra power is useful for my game, I couldn't generate this power level (consistently) with the Cat8 VE.

Return of serve: My strength. I was as consistent with the DNX as the Cat, but the smooth shorter swing, with added pace, allowed me to hit more penetrating returns. Edge the DNX.

Stability: Felt at least as stable at the stock specs as my modestly weighted Cat8 VE (11-11.1 oz and 4 pts HL) The guy I played today hits a ton with big spin, this fame handled it well. Mis-hits felt okay and actually went in consistently with decent depth.

Feel: A much different feel compared given the lower flex and given that it had no Cat system. I can't say I prefer one over the other. Perhaps give a very slight edge to the Cat8VE for drop shots and short angles.

Comfort: Fine, much better than a Babs PD, but not as cushy as the Cat8VE. I don't think most folks will have a problem unless thet string with Poly. I strung it up with a BDE gut hybrid at 58lbs. If I lived at sea level I'd probably go 55 lbs.

Okay, now lets compare the DNX8 vs the PD standard. The DNX8 I think serves better and definitely volleys way better - I could not volley well at all with the Babs. Groundies with the PD I felt were good - its strength, but the control wasn't that great. I'll take the DNX8's all around groundies over the Babs. Bottom line, easily a better stick that the Babs PD std.

This stick IMO may perhaps set a new standard in the 27 in, good power/good control sticks, Babs PD type 11 oz frames. And it is very customizable.

Volkl has a clear winner here. Keep in mind this is only a 2 hr singles hit and my first day. I am not going to sell my Cat8 VE's, but I may in a month or so if I keep liking this frame as much as I did today.

Bottom line: Great stick

kreative
01-26-2006, 06:22 PM
nice post drak, hope it still plays well after the honeymoon period ;-)

drak
01-26-2006, 06:48 PM
is always the big question. Either way I may keep is as it is nice to have a more powerful stick for certain occasions.

Also, I think this is a must demo for people looking for rackets of this type.

Drak

louis netman
01-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Just wondering why the head beam width has to be so thick, almost 3 cm...? Isn't that kind of like Sigfreid Keublers original Wilson Profile?

drak
01-26-2006, 08:53 PM
very nice is what I care about...

Drak

NoBadMojo
01-26-2006, 09:05 PM
it's a 24-22 beam width. and it is a really nice hit. impact frame. hit it hard and spin it. good at everything. comfortable for its stiffness.

meh
01-26-2006, 09:21 PM
Nice post Drak, thanks.

I really think you should enter the URL or text of your mini-review under the comments for that racquet's page on TW. Easier (and faster) to find comments there than it is to search on the forum, especially for good posts.

bcaz
01-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the review, Drak -- the DNX 8 sounds like a winner. Have you ever hith with the DNX V1 or any of the other V1s? How does it compare?

SteveI
01-27-2006, 03:08 AM
Just wondering why the head beam width has to be so thick, almost 3 cm...? Isn't that kind of like Sigfreid Keublers original Wilson Profile?

LN,

NObad is right about the specs... Volkl site has them at 24-22 mm
TW.. is wrong.

Regards,
Steve

ohplease
01-27-2006, 04:39 AM

The original profile was 36 mm thick at its most broad.

SteveI
01-27-2006, 04:55 AM
drak,

"PK Laver type S - IMO the best serving and vollying 27 inch tweener (for me) that I have ever played with. I just could not hit good groundies with the PK Laver so I said goodbye."

I had the same impression of the Laver S.. and yes I had to say goodbye also. Why do you think the Volkl is better off the ground.. the RA on both frames is 69? I know the Type S had Kevlar..maybe a factor?

Regards,
Steve

drak
01-27-2006, 05:00 AM
hit with any of the other DNX frames to compare.

Drak

jumbodaddy
01-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Any thoughts re: this racquet's elbow-friendliness?

It's a bit stiffer (69) and lighter (310g) than what this forum generally points to as the specs of an arm-friendly racquet (stiffness under 65, weight over 320g).

I've been demoing a lot in search of something that'll keep me free of tennis elbow ( I had it bad) and am wondering if this is a racquet to consider.

Please advise. Thanks.

NoBadMojo
01-27-2006, 05:51 PM
I've spent a bit of time with this frame and what i will do is get one of my regular hits to use it. he plays the PD Standard and is a fellow teaching pro, a 5.5, and an ATP Tour Trainer. he'll give us the low down compared to the PD, and i'll be able to tell the difference in his play between the two frames. this frame is not uncomfortable in spite of it's stiffness. It's a really nice hit and is good at everything.

drak
01-28-2006, 06:46 AM
more feedback.

Why it hits groundies better than the Laver S? I don't know, it always surprises me how much rackets with similar specs can play and feel so different. The only thing I can think of is that this frame is definitely more HL and weighs about about 4/10 oz less then the Laver S that I had (it weighed 11.3 oz and was about 4 pts HL). The DNX8 I have was lighter than specs and more HL, it is now- with a little lead tape weighing in at 10.9 oz and 6-7 pts HL and still hits very solid. I may play with the balance and weight over the next few weeks but will leave it at this level for several more days.
I like the groundies with it, especially the return of serve. Nice power with a smooth solid swing, for me much better than the Laver S basis the first hit which was 2 stes of singles.

Drak

str33t
01-28-2006, 03:04 PM
oo thanks for the info

SC in MA
01-30-2006, 07:22 AM
.....This is one excellent all around stick, definitely more pop all around then the Cat, but controllable. This racket rewards a full "smooth swing" - it took me a while to adjust because with the Vat8 VE I have to swing very hard and fast if I really wanted to generate significant pace. With the DNX8 I found it easy to generate pace on goundies, hits top and slice with ease, and actually hits a very nice flat ball.

I'll compare to my Cat8 VE first

Serve: NO contest, DNX8 clear winner here. I added 10 mph with a smooth motion, placement was better and I served great for me. Second serve was better with more action....Hi drak: First, thanks for the DNX8 review. I have a CAT8VE that I've drilled with a handful of times and also played some doubles with it. The strings on it are a non-labeled syn. gut that were on it when I bought it used. I don't know the tension. Overall, I really like the way it plays. Great comfort, manuverability, power and control. Also, very stable for its weight. And it serves really well for me.

Anyway, I had a chance to hit with the DNX8 for about 20 minutes. It was strung with a syn gut and I don't know the tension. My guess is that it was strung tighter than my CAT8. Like you, I thought it was a nice solid racket, though not as cushioned as the CAT8. While I liked the DNX8 overall, my experience was a bit different than yours. For me, I thought the DNX8 had a bit better control, but was a bit less powerful than the CAT8. The one area that was most noticeably different was the serve. I had a hard time generating the same pop as I get with the CAT8. I'm sure the strings and tension are a big factor here. I'm hoping my brief serving experience was an aberration and that others report the DNX8 as a great serving stick. I hope to hit with it again sometime this week.

SHUNGO
01-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Just one thing confuses me here, perhaps you drak or NBM can tell, with the specs. of this DNX-8, showing its stifness high at 68, how can it still be arm-wrist-elbow friendly? If it is, then something just does not make sense to me and can even become a problem that we should think in, because everything that has been written, adviced, read looses sense, and there starts the danger that specs. are no longer a reliable source for a raquet choosing help situation.

I think that DNX-8 users should help us all giving their comments of comfort of the racquet after a few weeks of playing with it, but honestly, it is hard to believe that light racquet plus high stiffness gives no articulation problems, but if it is true, Volk has done magic then!!

Volkl speciality is to make great racquets with big comfort, but just seems strange to me, could it be MARKETING only?, just wondering.

louis netman
01-30-2006, 09:14 AM
Just one thing confuses me here, perhaps you drak or NBM can tell, with the specs. of this DNX-8, showing its stifness high at 68, how can it still be arm-wrist-elbow friendly? If it is, then something just does not make sense to me and can even become a problem that we should think in, because everything that has been written, adviced, read looses sense, and there starts the danger that specs. are no longer a reliable source for a raquet choosing help situation.

I think that DNX-8 users should help us all giving their comments of comfort of the racquet after a few weeks of playing with it, but honestly, it is hard to believe that light racquet plus high stiffness gives no articulation problems, but if it is true, Volk has done magic then!!

Volkl speciality is to make great racquets with big comfort, but just seems strange to me, could it be MARKETING only?, just wondering.

Volkl can not perform magic.....yet. What they can do is engineer a racket with similar specs as the other companies in whatever stiffness, however, their frame will be the most arm-friendly of the bunch. I'll be demoing the 8 and 10 soon. My arm welcomes the DNX10, however, it goes into a slight state of shock about the DNX 8...

NoBadMojo
01-30-2006, 09:41 AM
The V1 has a similar stiffness and has been highly regarded for more than a decade as being an arm saver. I am older and quite sensitive to shock, hit with the DNX8 in an extended session and felt no twinges at all. I wouldnt go as far as put leather on this or string really tight or use a poly, but this frame is very comfortable for its stiffness. I think many people can ruin god frames by stringing too tightly or using an inapproparate string..the strngs are a big part of the equation as well.

Swingman
01-30-2006, 09:53 AM

Shungo,
You make a good point here. You cannot judge how a racquet affects your body from just hitting with it for a few hours. I recently purchased (second hand) and played with a Volkl Classic V1 after seeing the positive remarks about the comfort level. For the level of power and control it provides the comfort level is not bad. But there is no getting around the stiffness level. My elbow started to hurt after four sessions - not too bad, but enough to tell that I could never use it as my main racquet. I was also interested in demoing the DNX-8 but after my experience with the V1 and other stiff racquets I will not bother trying any racquets with a stiffness rating above 65. With respect to Volkl, I think the comfort aura around the brand is driven mostly by word of mouth due to well respected players racquets such as the C9, 10, and Tour 10. Regarding racquets of this class, I think it's near impossible for any company to create a light, powerful racquet without the stiffness.

SHUNGO
01-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Agree with you Swingman, I also had similar experience, switched to the PD and wrist problem developed, switched back to my Volk T10 MP, and no problem, after that, looking for more control, and a lighter racquet, tested the Cat. V1 and wrist hurted, I am hitting with a Pure Storm of Babolat, feels good, you can bang the ball from the baseline, but will see how the wrist accepts or not the change, if not, I will go back again to My Volk as a final decission.

No Bad says that the DNX-8 gives no problem, and that gives a good hope to all users of that racquet, just time will give the answer, it is also so personal a tennis racquet that what is good for me may be very bad to anybody else, but the specs. are supposed to give a guide, that is why I feel confused...

By the way No Bad, since you use the T10 MP, you can help me, my problem is that is not easy to me to control it, so I tend to shorten my forehand swing, I am using a poly-synthetic mix at 58 mains and 56 crosses, feels better using a vibra-dampner, I have received today by mail the new pallets and butt-cap to switch the grip from 4 3/8 to 4 1/2, using your previous instructions, so my question is, according to your experience, what changes can you suggest to improve my game with this racquet, I am a 3.5 to 4.0 baseliner, playing at clay court at around 8.800 ft. altitude, and fast moves are required due to high speed on the ball due to lack of oxygen. I like the feel of my Volk, but can not find how to get the best out of it.

Swingman
01-30-2006, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE=SHUNGO]Agree with you Swingman, I also had similar experience, switched to the PD and wrist problem developed, switched back to my Volk T10 MP, and no problem, after that, looking for more control, and a lighter racquet, tested the Cat. V1 and wrist hurted, I am hitting with a Pure Storm of Babolat, feels good, you can bang the ball from the baseline, but will see how the wrist accepts or not the change, if not, I will go back again to My Volk as a final decission.

No Bad says that the DNX-8 gives no problem, and that gives a good hope to all users of that racquet, just time will give the answer, it is also so personal a tennis racquet that what is good for me may be very bad to anybody else, but the specs. are supposed to give a guide, that is why I feel confused...

QUOTE]

It's important to note that NBMJ states that the DNX-8 is comfortable for its "stiffness level" - so he's not implying that it's a plush racquet. Have you tried the Yonex Nano Speed RQ7? I think it's much better than the Pure Storm.

HappyLefty
01-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Is DNX-8 considered a "player racquet"?

SC in MA
01-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Is DNX-8 considered a "player racquet"?If a "player racquet" is defined as being 12oz or more, then no its not. The TW specs list it at 10.9oz strung. It is head light though. I think it would be considered a "tweener".

louis netman
01-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Bad, since you use the T10 MP, you can help me, my problem is that is not easy to me to control it, so I tend to shorten my forehand swing, I am using a poly-synthetic mix at 58 mains and 56 crosses, feels better using a vibra-dampner, I have received today by mail the new pallets and butt-cap to switch the grip from 4 3/8 to 4 1/2, using your previous instructions, so my question is, according to your experience, what changes can you suggest to improve my game with this racquet, I am a 3.5 to 4.0 baseliner, playing at clay court at around 8.800 ft. altitude, and fast moves are required due to high speed on the ball due to lack of oxygen. I like the feel of my Volk, but can not find how to get the best out of it.

At close to 9000 elevation, control becomes an issue regardless of your setup. If you have a big swing (and assuming you have proper technique) I'd get the lowest power setup available. Try bumping up your reference tension to 60 or even 62. The ball also comes faster so you don't want to add SW to the mix. If it still dosen't work out, find yourself the T10 mid. This little baby is very manuverable, has less inherent power and an even sweeter feel than big brother...Good Luck!!!

jackcrawford
02-01-2006, 08:24 AM
The V1 has a similar stiffness and has been highly regarded for more than a decade as being an arm saver. I am older and quite sensitive to shock, hit with the DNX8 in an extended session and felt no twinges at all. I wouldnt go as far as put leather on this or string really tight or use a poly, but this frame is very comfortable for its stiffness. I think many people can ruin god frames by stringing too tightly or using an inapproparate string..the strngs are a big part of the equation as well.
Does the DNX 8 feel at all like the Tour 8 V-Engine? To me, that felt like Head's twin-tube and I didn't like it. BTW, it looks like Babolat is trying to copy Volkl's handle-dampening system in the Roddick signature Pure Drive.

calabi12
02-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Yes, the numbers do not always say it all.

My "default" frame, which I keep falling back to when I fall out of favour with a racquet is one of the most arm friendly racquets you will ever use. Yet it has a flex of 69, swing weight of 300g, with a strung weight of 306g and a 107 head size.

Obviously people on this forum hate such a frame because it is lighter....

jackcrawford
02-03-2006, 10:33 PM
I got a good deal on a new DNX 8 and found it underpowered - no way does it put the speed/spin on the ball that my regular stick the Pure Drive does. It seemed very comfortable for the hour I hit it, but I've never had arm problems with the Drive. To each his/her own, it'll be on the classifieds if you're interested in buying one .

El Diablo
02-04-2006, 08:00 AM
Had a chance to hit with DNX8s, one with Alu and the other with X-one biphase. Anything but comfortable with the Alu, much wrist discomfort. Certainly more comfortable with X-one though I'm not sure I'd want a relatively open string pattern without poly. Felt I had better control with the BB10.

gd!
02-04-2006, 08:30 AM
Hi,

had the first hit today with my DNX 8 X-T. It's a smart racquet, offering lots of pace and it feels not really stiff at all to me. Okay, as SW seems to be on the lower edge, I guess I need to add some lead at 6 and 12 to feel more meat behind my swings.

Strung it with Ashaway Vantage Elite in the crosses and Topspin Cyberflash in the mains at 55 lbs., seems I have to increase SW as well. Think, I will try 58 lbs. the next time and I will use a Polyether (not Polyester!) string as well. Polyfibre Hightec TCS is a very good hit, lots of spin, power and easy on the arm. Like Volkl, its "German engineering" ;)

Will post more info later.

gd!

NoBadMojo
02-04-2006, 10:15 AM
By the way No Bad, since you use the T10 MP, you can help me, my problem is that is not easy to me to control it, so I tend to shorten my forehand swing, I am using a poly-synthetic mix at 58 mains and 56 crosses, feels better using a vibra-dampner, I have received today by mail the new pallets and butt-cap to switch the grip from 4 3/8 to 4 1/2, using your previous instructions, so my question is, according to your experience, what changes can you suggest to improve my game with this racquet, I am a 3.5 to 4.0 baseliner, playing at clay court at around 8.800 ft. altitude, and fast moves are required due to high speed on the ball due to lack of oxygen. I like the feel of my Volk, but can not find how to get the best out of it.

As a guess Shungo, it seems as though with the balls flying as fast as they are at high altitude and the T10MP being a racquet for advanced users, that either you are hitting late or not generating enough spin <both would cause you lack of control>....you lose confidence.......your strokes get shorter with the lack of confidence.
Make sure you can swing this racquet fast enough to hit the ball out in front...if you can't, best to use another frame